Velocity Reviews

-   -   Apex AD-1100W suddenly displays "NO DISC" error (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t265135-apex-ad-1100w-suddenly-displays-no-disc-error.html)

John Massachusetts Pigye 01-01-2004 01:40 PM

Apex AD-1100W suddenly displays "NO DISC" error

I couldn't explain why, but my 3 month old Apex AD-1100w DVD player says "NO DISC" on the screen in spite of having a DVD or A CD in it. I was watching "I Spit On Your Grave" and turned it off just to turn it back on in the morning to give me that error message. I didn't even remove the disc.

Jerry G. 01-01-2004 03:38 PM

Re: Apex AD-1100W suddenly displays "NO DISC" error

Try another disk, and if it still does not respond, you can try cleaning the
laser lens. If this does not fix it, then bring the machine back for
warranty service. Technically, you should take out your disk and bring it
back without doing any self maintenance.

These machines are not service supported by the manufacture. The dealer
will send back the machine, and you will receive a new one on exchange. If
they are low on inventory at the distributor, someone over there may change
the complete laser, or main circuit board assy.

Some dealers if they have some spares in their inventory, they will exchange
the machine as soon as you put it down on their counter with your bill of
sale.

In these low cost machines, the laser assy, and spindle motors have a high
rate of failure. The main electronics except for the power supply are
generally reliable. Usually a machine of this level should last about 2
years with average use.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"John Massachusetts Pigye" <broken_apex_dvd_player@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:200401011340.IAA20877@orion.besthost1.com...

Mark D. Zacharias 01-01-2004 03:44 PM

Re: Apex AD-1100W suddenly displays "NO DISC" error

Contact Apex for warranty repair / replacement or throw it away.

Mark Z.

BOB URZ 01-01-2004 04:11 PM

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

> Contact Apex for warranty repair / replacement or throw it away.
>
> Mark Z.
>
> --
> Please reply only to Group. I regret this is necessary. Viruses and spam
> have rendered my regular e-mail address useless.
>
> "John Massachusetts Pigye" <broken_apex_dvd_player@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:200401011340.IAA20877@orion.besthost1.com...
> > I couldn't explain why, but my 3 month old Apex AD-1100w DVD player says

> "NO DISC" on the screen in spite of having a DVD or A CD in it. I was
> watching "I Spit On Your Grave" and turned it off just to turn it back on in
> the morning to give me that error message. I didn't even remove the disc.

Good luck with Apex. My wife bought a AD1200 DVD. It was working for
a very short while, then started screwing up. (she did not want me to look
at it because it was under warranty). After much phone tag and hold, she
got a RMA from Apex and sent it back. About 3 weeks latter, a replacement unit
came. Took it out of the box and hooked it up. Came up with "NO DISK" error
right out of the box. Such high quality units they are......

Bob

K. Hastings 01-01-2004 04:33 PM

Re: Apex AD-1100W suddenly displays "NO DISC" error

We have an identicl unit and it did this same thing a few weeks ago. Since
we had rented a DVD and the kids were disappointed we had to pop the cover
and do a little real-time resussitation.

So here's what we found: disc not spinning (could have figured that without
popping lid by sound). There's not much to check on, so we wriggled all the
pcb's and checked the inter-pcb bus cables & conectors and it started
rotating again. It's never re-occured so we suspect a loose bus wire.
Sorry we don't know which one specifically.

PS you may already know but this particular unit is famous with
technologistsbecause it is inexpensive, plays just about everything, and has
many net-supported mods. See
http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/1100W/1100W.htm for an excellent collection
of web resources to help you if that interests you.

Sarah 01-01-2004 05:46 PM

Re: Apex AD-1100W suddenly displays "NO DISC" error

Why? Nerd-out.com has an easy tutoring on adjusting the spring so that
it works again. Pretty easy to do. You canalso turn the machine off
with a disk in it & back on & it should recognize it again.

Parker Jefferson Sneeihl 01-01-2004 06:22 PM

Re: Apex AD-1100W suddenly displays "NO DISC" error

John Massachusetts Pigye <broken_apex_dvd_player@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I couldn't explain why, but my 3 month old Apex AD-1100w DVD player
> says "NO DISC" on the screen in spite of having a DVD or A CD in it. I
> was watching "I Spit On Your Grave" and turned it off just to turn it
> back on in the morning to give me that error message. I didn't even
> remove the disc.

Throw it away. It isn't even worth the trouble. Buy a new one, perferably a
Japanese brand.

K. Hastings 01-01-2004 06:35 PM

Re: Apex AD-1100W suddenly displays "NO DISC" error

Your post got me looking this AM to the Nerd-out forum more carefully and I
found this great resources specifically written about AD-1100W players with
the NO DISK error. Enjoy!

http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28420

James Sweet 01-01-2004 07:32 PM

"BOB URZ" <"sound(remove)"@inetnebr.com> wrote in message

> "Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:
>
> > Contact Apex for warranty repair / replacement or throw it away.
> >
> > Mark Z.
> >
> > --
> > Please reply only to Group. I regret this is necessary. Viruses and spam
> > have rendered my regular e-mail address useless.
> >
> > "John Massachusetts Pigye" <broken_apex_dvd_player@hotmail.com> wrote in
> > message news:200401011340.IAA20877@orion.besthost1.com...
> > > I couldn't explain why, but my 3 month old Apex AD-1100w DVD player

says
> > "NO DISC" on the screen in spite of having a DVD or A CD in it. I was
> > watching "I Spit On Your Grave" and turned it off just to turn it back

on in
> > the morning to give me that error message. I didn't even remove the

disc.

> Good luck with Apex. My wife bought a AD1200 DVD. It was working for
> a very short while, then started screwing up. (she did not want me to

look
> at it because it was under warranty). After much phone tag and hold, she
> got a RMA from Apex and sent it back. About 3 weeks latter, a replacement

unit
> came. Took it out of the box and hooked it up. Came up with "NO DISK"

error
> right out of the box. Such high quality units they are......
>
> Bob

Some of the Apex units are actually pretty decent, easily upgraded firmware,
my 1500 has been working great ever since I replaced a capacitor in the
power supply.

LASERandDVDfan 01-01-2004 09:41 PM

Re: Apex AD-1100W suddenly displays "NO DISC" error

>I couldn't explain why, but my 3 month old Apex AD-1100w DVD player says "NO
>DISC" on the screen in spite of having a DVD or A CD in it. I was watching "I
>Spit On Your Grave" and turned it off just to turn it back on in the morning
>to give me that error message. I didn't even remove the disc.

It's possible that the optical pickup could be dirty or, and I believe this is
more likely given the nature of the DVD player in question, the disc drive has
suffered a failure.

I would not recommend repair of this player as the repair cost may exceed the
value of the item, if the necessary replacement parts can be obtained to begin
with.

The next player you should buy ought to be a Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, Pioneer,
or JVC. Don't bother with anything else. - Reinhart