Velocity Reviews

-   -   Criterion vs. Home Vision Entertainment (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t264947-criterion-vs-home-vision-entertainment.html)

Grand Inquisitor 12-23-2003 09:19 PM

Criterion vs. Home Vision Entertainment

Okay, I've read some articles and interviews, and I still can't
understand what the difference is between Criterion and HVE. They
appear to be a joint venture between the same two companies, or am I
missing something? Can somebody explain to me how these companies
differ? When I got my copy of the HVE Weir movie today I had to make
sure it wasn't a CC release, because minus the Criterion banner up top,
it looked exactly like a CC release.
and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

jayembee 12-23-2003 11:25 PM

Re: Criterion vs. Home Vision Entertainment

Grand Inquisitor <zork@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

>Okay, I've read some articles and interviews, and I still can't
>understand what the difference is between Criterion and HVE. They
>appear to be a joint venture between the same two companies, or am I
>missing something? Can somebody explain to me how these companies
>differ? When I got my copy of the HVE Weir movie today I had to make
>sure it wasn't a CC release, because minus the Criterion banner up top,
>it looked exactly like a CC release.

They are essentially the same company. Hell, I've even seen HVE titles
filed with Criterion titles in the stores.

The Criterion Collection is a joint venture between Janus Films and
HVE, just as in the laserdisc days, it was a joint venture between
Janus Films and the Voyager Company.

And back in those LD days, there were LDs released under the Voyager
banner (mostly non-fiction titles, but some fiction ones as well) as
well as under the Criterion banner. It seems no different now with HVE
and DVDs.

The only thing that I'm not clear on is what their, ah, criteria are
for deciding what gets released under the Criterion banner, and what
doesn't.

But if you think this is weird, back a few years ago, Janus Films
licensed out several of their titles to Image for DVD release that had
been Criterion LDs (titles like WALTZ OF THE TOREADORS, ODD MAN OUT,
and THIS SPORTING LIFE). I always wondered why they licensed those to
Image rather than issuing them as Criterion DVDs.

-- jayembee

Evil 12-25-2003 07:22 AM

jayembee <jayembeenospam@snurcher.com> wrote in message news:<p5jhuvgs469a824akv2mm1a7i13jt2s6ah@4ax.com>. ..
> Grand Inquisitor <zork@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>
> >Okay, I've read some articles and interviews, and I still can't
> >understand what the difference is between Criterion and HVE. They
> >appear to be a joint venture between the same two companies, or am I
> >missing something? Can somebody explain to me how these companies
> >differ? When I got my copy of the HVE Weir movie today I had to make
> >sure it wasn't a CC release, because minus the Criterion banner up top,
> >it looked exactly like a CC release.

> They are essentially the same company. Hell, I've even seen HVE titles
> filed with Criterion titles in the stores.
>
> The Criterion Collection is a joint venture between Janus Films and
> HVE, just as in the laserdisc days, it was a joint venture between
> Janus Films and the Voyager Company.
>
> And back in those LD days, there were LDs released under the Voyager
> banner (mostly non-fiction titles, but some fiction ones as well) as
> well as under the Criterion banner. It seems no different now with HVE
> and DVDs.
>
> The only thing that I'm not clear on is what their, ah, criteria are
> for deciding what gets released under the Criterion banner, and what
> doesn't.
>
> But if you think this is weird, back a few years ago, Janus Films
> licensed out several of their titles to Image for DVD release that had
> been Criterion LDs (titles like WALTZ OF THE TOREADORS, ODD MAN OUT,
> and THIS SPORTING LIFE). I always wondered why they licensed those to
> Image rather than issuing them as Criterion DVDs.
>
> -- jayembee

HVE dvds are generally much cheaper than Criterion, are they not? And
there are seemingly more extras on hte Criterion titles. On VHS, i
believe all the titles were HomeVision.

jayembee 12-25-2003 10:57 PM

evilninjax@yahoo.com (Evil) wrote:

> HVE dvds are generally much cheaper than Criterion, are
> they not?

For the Criterion titles, the pricing scheme seems to be
two-tiered. Boxed sets excepted, of course, the MSRP on
the titles tend of be either $29.95 or $39.95.

For HVE titles, they tend to be $29.95, except for the
Zatoichi releases, which are all $19.95.

So, yes, you're right in some respects, but it's not
quite that cut and dried.

> And there are seemingly more extras on hte Criterion
> titles.

There are quite a few Criterion titles that have few or no
extras. And some of the HVE titles have extras (like the
Narnia collection).

-- jayembee

Evil 12-31-2003 03:01 PM

jayembeeNoSpam@snurcher.com (jayembee) wrote in message news:<d3aeee5b.0312251457.61d86ef7@posting.google. com>...
> evilninjax@yahoo.com (Evil) wrote:
>
> > HVE dvds are generally much cheaper than Criterion, are
> > they not?

> For the Criterion titles, the pricing scheme seems to be
> two-tiered. Boxed sets excepted, of course, the MSRP on
> the titles tend of be either $29.95 or $39.95.
>
> For HVE titles, they tend to be $29.95, except for the
> Zatoichi releases, which are all $19.95.
>
> So, yes, you're right in some respects, but it's not
> quite that cut and dried.
>
> > And there are seemingly more extras on hte Criterion
> > titles.

> There are quite a few Criterion titles that have few or no
> extras. And some of the HVE titles have extras (like the
> Narnia collection).

cool. thanks for the elaboration. Btw, how do you like the Narnia
Collection? i just saw the boxset at Borders and never realized there
was such a thing. i enjoyed the books and was thinking about picking
it up..

-goro-

Grand Inquisitor 12-31-2003 03:28 PM

Evil wrote:
> cool. thanks for the elaboration. Btw, how do you like the Narnia
> Collection? i just saw the boxset at Borders and never realized there
> was such a thing. i enjoyed the books and was thinking about picking
> it up..
>
> -goro-

If you've never seen the tv series, well, it's very good. I can't
comment on the DVDs themselves, but given the history of HVE and
Criterion, I can only imagine their as good as it gets with a show shot
on analog videotape.

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor