Velocity Reviews

-   -   AICN rumor: NewLine cheaping out on ROTK EE?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t264926-aicn-rumor-newline-cheaping-out-on-rotk-ee.html)

anon 12-22-2003 05:37 PM

AICN rumor: NewLine cheaping out on ROTK EE??

In a rumor first pointed out on Ain't It Cool News, and then buy the Digital
bits, apparently New Line Cinema is balking at the price to finish the
effects of the EE of ROTK. They might be trying to get an el-cheapo
craphouse American company to do the job instead of Jackson's own WETA.
This is just a rumor, but if there is any truth to it; we'll let them know
right guys? New Line: Give Jackson whatever he needs to due it right.
These Extended edition DVDs are milestones in the format, and to deny the
greatest film of them all a proper treatment is terrible. And I think
making a quarter of a BILLON dollars in 5 days would more then cover it.

methos

here are the links : http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16689
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

Jordan Lund 12-22-2003 10:59 PM

Re: AICN rumor: NewLine cheaping out on ROTK EE??

"anon" <anon@me.com> wrote in message news:<LZFFb.427202$Dw6.1313556@attbi_s02>...
> In a rumor first pointed out on Ain't It Cool News, and then buy the Digital
> bits, apparently New Line Cinema is balking at the price to finish the
> effects of the EE of ROTK.

I can't imagine that Jackson would allow it. Sounds like another
Unsubstantiated Internet Rumor (UIR) to me...

- Jordan

John 12-23-2003 01:42 AM

anon wrote:
> In a rumor first pointed out on Ain't It Cool News, and then buy the Digital
> bits, apparently New Line Cinema is balking at the price to finish the
> effects of the EE of ROTK. They might be trying to get an el-cheapo
> craphouse American company to do the job instead of Jackson's own WETA.
> This is just a rumor, but if there is any truth to it; we'll let them know
> right guys? New Line: Give Jackson whatever he needs to due it right.
> These Extended edition DVDs are milestones in the format, and to deny the
> greatest film of them all a proper treatment is terrible. And I think
> making a quarter of a BILLON dollars in 5 days would more then cover it.
>
> methos
>
> here are the links : http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16689
> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

I can't imagine New Line having the nerve to do such a thing, especially
since the money they would spend on the effects would only be made back
many times over in sales.

Even if New Line did get cheap on us, Jackson wouldn't allow the stuff
to be done anywhere else and would probably pay for effects from his own
wallet.

damnfine 12-23-2003 02:52 AM

Re: AICN rumor: NewLine cheaping out on ROTK EE??

Not in a million years. As if, after taking the gamble in the first place,
they're going to **** around with their crowning glory now.

--
/^\damnfine/^\
"To disbelieve in the gods is at the same time to

Peter Briggs 12-23-2003 07:57 PM

John <rangas@hotmail.comSPAM> wrote:

> I can't imagine New Line having the nerve to do such a thing, especially
> since the money they would spend on the effects would only be made back
> many times over in sales.

I CAN imagine that New Line would do it, simply because I know the way
movie companies work.

Remember when Lucas was prepping the SW:SEs for theatrical release, Fox
was VERY tight on the purse-strings in additional monies.

And, remember...New Line have *no obligation* whatsoever to add anything
further to this franchise, now it has ended. (Would the FX budget be
recouped any further, than the people who will already buy the ROTK:SE?
Debatable.)

Do I think it'll happen? No. New Line want to do business with Jackson
in the future. They'll bite the bullet, and pay the cash.

The question is....is WETA at a point where they now can do it? I heard
there were a significant number of job redundancies recently in the
pre-Kong lull, as they couldn't keep the staff on payroll until that
starts up in earnest. (It was great that WETA could take on the ships
for "Master And Commander", but I wonder how many other productions have
similarly kept the Workshop open?)

Grand Inquisitor 12-23-2003 09:09 PM

Peter Briggs wrote:
> Remember when Lucas was prepping the SW:SEs for theatrical release, Fox
> was VERY tight on the purse-strings in additional monies.

Really? I was under the impression that they were merely the
distributors of the movies, not the guys providing the production costs.

> Do I think it'll happen? No. New Line want to do business with Jackson
> in the future. They'll bite the bullet, and pay the cash.

I think they've shown a lot of class thus far with this franchise, more
respect than is usual these days for a studio.

> The question is....is WETA at a point where they now can do it? I heard
> there were a significant number of job redundancies recently in the
> pre-Kong lull, as they couldn't keep the staff on payroll until that
> starts up in earnest. (It was great that WETA could take on the ships
> for "Master And Commander", but I wonder how many other productions have
> similarly kept the Workshop open?)

This slump is just temporary for WETA, they have too many talented
people to fail. I would not be surprised if in ten years, WETA Digital
and WETA Workshop are in the place where ILM and Stan Winston are now.
In my opinion ILM's quality level has been slipping after Jurassic Park,
the best 3D work they do is equal to the worst 3D work that WETA Digital
did. I think you'll see WETA leading the FX reins in a decade or so,
with Digital Domain and Jim Henson's Creature shop doing everything that
WETA is too busy to do.

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

Jay G 12-23-2003 11:41 PM

Re: AICN rumor: NewLine cheaping out on ROTK EE??

"Grand Inquisitor" <zork@columbus.rr.com> wrote in ...
> Peter Briggs wrote:
> > Remember when Lucas was prepping the SW:SEs for theatrical release, Fox
> > was VERY tight on the purse-strings in additional monies.

> Really? I was under the impression that they were merely the
> distributors of the movies, not the guys providing the production costs.

FOX owns the original Star Wars movie. It's my understanding
that FOX funded the SE of Star Wars for it's 20th anniversary.

-Jay

Jim Fraas 12-24-2003 05:19 AM

Re: AICN rumor: NewLine cheaping out on ROTK EE??

owned.

Lucas bought all rights back and even tried to pull out the orginal version
from National film REgistry in favbor of his special edition.
NFR told Lucas to please **** off (on that matter)

--
There's only one hope left for the Star Trek movie franchise.
It is a letter located between P and R in the alphabet.

Cap'n Lance Trousers 12-24-2003 06:42 AM

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:41:28 -0600, "Jay G" <Jay@tmbg.org> wrote:

>"Grand Inquisitor" <zork@columbus.rr.com> wrote in ...
>> Peter Briggs wrote:
>> > Remember when Lucas was prepping the SW:SEs for theatrical release, Fox
>> > was VERY tight on the purse-strings in additional monies.

>> Really? I was under the impression that they were merely the
>> distributors of the movies, not the guys providing the production costs.

>FOX owns the original Star Wars movie. It's my understanding
>that FOX funded the SE of Star Wars for it's 20th anniversary.
>
>-Jay

I think FOX did pay for the SE effects. The way I remember it is
that, at the time, Lucas hadn't sold the distribution rights to the
prequals yet. So FOX offered to pay the production costs for the SEs
of the original trilogy as a gesture of goodwill, so that Lucas would
hopefully come to them first when he was ready to find a distributor
for Episodes 1-3.

------------------------------------
Can't sleep, clown will eat me...
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.

Tallulah Blanket 12-24-2003 07:11 AM

Peter Briggs wrote:

> John <rangas@hotmail.comSPAM> wrote:
>

>>I can't imagine New Line having the nerve to do such a thing, especially
>>since the money they would spend on the effects would only be made back
>>many times over in sales.

> I CAN imagine that New Line would do it, simply because I know the way
> movie companies work.
>
> Remember when Lucas was prepping the SW:SEs for theatrical release, Fox
> was VERY tight on the purse-strings in additional monies.

Given that Lucas actually owns 2 of these films outright, so would I be
if I were Fox.