Velocity Reviews

-   -   Review: Frank Zappa's "Baby Snakes" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t264919-review-frank-zappas-baby-snakes.html)

Patrick Neve 12-22-2003 06:07 AM

Review: Frank Zappa's "Baby Snakes"

Baby Snakes
Review copyright 2003 Patrick Neve

At long last, Baby Snakes has been released on DVD. This is truly a cause
to celebrate. I consider this to be one of the finest concert films ever
produced, and certainly the best of Frank Zappa's officially released
video output. That fact that it's been out of print for 15 years I've
long considered a travesty of entertainment justice. So let's jump right
into it.

The Feature:
First, some back-story. The core of this movie is based on a series of
Halloween concerts at the Palladium in NYC by Frank Zappa in 1977. Frank
loved the New York audience, and the Palladium Theater in particular, so
he played many Halloween shows there throughout the 70's and 80's. So
take a particularly spirited set of performances from Halloween of 1977,
and slowly add the following ingredients to taste:
1. A heaping helping of the most psychedelic claymation work you've ever
seen in your life, done by master stop-motion artist Bruce Bickford.
2. Interview sessions with Mr. Bickford, revealing him to be crazy as a
loon.
3. Lots of audience shots, inside and outside the building, featuring
their Halloween costumes and endearing New York perspective.
4. Interviews with crew, such as Bill Harrington, and bodyguard John
Smothers.
5. Road footage of Frank playing an accordion in a gift shop.
6. Ex-Mother Roy Estrada being a twisted **** with an inflatable doll in
the dressing room.
7. Future member Warren Cuccarullo saying he would like to try out for the
band.
8. Pre-show stage rehearsals
9. Frank and band members goofing off in a studio, doing a cheesy lip
synch to "Flakes".
10. Studio footage of the recording of "Revenge of the Knick Knack People"

You might be thinking, how could you possibly mix all this together and
still get a decent representation of a live concert? The answer is, by
making it very long movie. Not one minute short of 164:00, to be exact.
There were originally two edits of the film, including a shorter 90:00
cut. I'm told there was some discussion at the Zappa Family Trust which
version they would release. They probably sensed the impending mob of
peasants with torches and pitchforks at their door had they released only
the short version. This lengthy cut is without question the more
desirable, and commendations are due to the Zappas for releasing this one.

Picture Quality:
From the first frame, you can tell that this was at one time, a real live
piece of analog celluloid. There are some dust specs and a general
graininess which I find actually quite pleasing. It's not enough to get
in the way of enjoying the picture, it's just a slight grittiness which
reminds you that you're viewing a working print which could have at one
time been shown in a real theater. Remember, this isn't a major studio
product, it's basically an indie film that was stored in a glorified
basement for decades. Given that, I think the print is in great shape,
and it blows away any prior home versions.
Some amount of processing is evident. It's nothing terribly elaborate,
don't expect a revelatory experience like the recent restoration of
Metropolis. This is rock'n'roll, folks. Compared to the videocassette,
the color balance is a bit more in the "red zone". In fact, I think all
the colors are saturated a bit heavier than the previous home video
release, and since many of the stage lights are red, that's what you see a
lot of.
The overall tonal balance is a bit darker than the previous video, with
increased contrast. Generally this is an improvement, as the original
home video looked a little washed-out. At times there is some lost
detail, particularly in some of the panning crowd shots, but for the most
part it's a perfectly livable tradeoff for getting a good solid black
level. I think they found the best compromise in terms of tone.
I believe some sharpening has occurred, though I'm not certain. My
television set just isn't large enough to notice the edge enhancement
artifacts that so many people rail against. But to my eye, it's a
pleasingly crisp, but not artificially sharp-looking picture.
I do have a bit of a gripe with the amount of compression, however. Even
on my 36" screen, compression artifacts were clearly visible. For one
thing, given all the positive things in terms of color balance and tonal
quality, the overall picture does have sort of a "flat" and 1-dimensional
aspect to it, that I can't really put my finger on, except that through
the natural filmlike quality, it does have a bit of a digital "look" to
it. More tellingly, there are many shots where blockiness occurs,
particularly when a spotlight is shining down on frank across the
audience, which is often. There is smoke in the air, and it just looks
blocky and flat. I figured this was a result of putting the whole movie
onto one disc, which frankly had kind of surprised me. A quick check
indicated that the bitrate transfer was right around 5.5 Mbps, a far cry
from the 7, 8 or even 9 megabits that superior videophile transfers are
sporting these days. Don't get me wrong, it still blows away my old
videocassette, but this was the first movie that I could tell right away
that it had been heavily compressed. I figured it was a result of
cramming so much movie onto one disc, and they had to cut some corner
somewhere to make it fit, so they just squashed it in there. However, it
seems that the entire contents of the disc totals just 7.2 GB, which is
quite a bit shy of the 8.5 GB media limit. So it seems to me they could
have hit the compressor perhaps not so hard and still have been able to
fit the whole feature on one disc. Better yet would have been to give it
the megabit treatment, and perhaps split the film across two discs. But
then, a whole nother legion of Zappa fans would cry foul at that, so I
guess there's just no pleasing everybody. The bottom line is, though this
might not be the final definitive transfer, it's clearly superior to all
prior home versions.

Sound Quality:
There is a 2.0 DD stereo track and a 5.1 DD track.
The fuller story is at zappa.com, written in the Zappa family's own
peculiar vernacular, but it seems that the original stereo track was
beyond repair. So instead, Vaultmeister Joe Travers set out to completely
reconstruct the soundtrack from the original elements, using the original
soundtrack as a guide. No small feat, for such a long feature, consisting
of all manner of multitrack music performance, archival footage, location
shoots, and who knows what else. Fortunately, Joe came up with a stereo
mix that blows the previously available home video mix out of the water.
It still has its limitations oddly, don't expect the kind of sound quality
found on the Baby Snakes soundtrack album. But in comparing it to the old
home video, it's night and day. The original video was awash in hiss and
high end artifacts. There was no real midrange or low end to speak of.
It had a decidedly AM radio sound to it. This reconstruction has added
large amounts of meat n potatoes for those full range home theater
speakers which have generally replaced built-in TV jobbers, with plenty of
mids and lows to sink your teeth into. The thing that strikes me about
this reconstruction is how faithful it is to the original video mix, and
yet how much better it sounds. It's like it sounds the same in terms of
the actual mix components, and the balance between elements is very close
to the original, but overall it just sounds so much better. Give your
subwoofers a day off, however. I think that in keeping it true to the
spirit and original mix of the film, the kick drum will not rattle your
windows, and you will not feel the bass guitar in your gullet. In fact,
there's practically nothing below about 100 Hz, or above 10k or so on the
high end, for everything except the Baby Snakes music video itself, which
does seem to be very close to the soundtrack album version, if not that
master itself.
Still with me? Let's look at the 5.1 mix.
It further seems that while researching the elements of the film, Joe
stumbled across an unused 1979 four channel mix which was never used. On
the tape boxes, these channels had been labeled "front left and right,
center, rear surround". As Zappa.com suggests, this is highly reminiscent
of Dolby Pro Logic. They wondered if it could work as a 5.1 soundtrack.
I assume this means taking the single rear surround channel and doubling
it to both rear surrounds. Once you put this disc in and play the 5.1
version, the results will immediately become apparent. Years before home
theaters supported surround mixes, Frank created an exciting multichannel
soundtrack, with a dedicated center channel, when all the quad-heads were
still thinking in terms of left and right, front and back. The more I
check out Frank Zappa, the more I see him as a forward-thinking visionary,
working decades ahead of his time. In this case, creating media for a
playback system not yet invented.
Some folks in newsgroups have complained about the surround ix, how it
sounds artificially separated, and not with a clearly defined focus. I do
hear perhaps a bit of sonic tomfoolery that I can't quite put my finger
on, like perhaps some delayed channels to create greater separation, but
by and large it's an exciting and live kind of mix, which uses all the
channels in a very creative manner. For those of you who have picked up
the mostly-wonderful "Halloween" DVD-A, don't expect that sort of
"band-up-front-audience-in-the-back" scenario. This has, at various
times, different instruments and effects all over the place. Particularly
during the "Knick Knack People" sequences, stuff is going in all the
speakers, and it's all very clear and distinct, with a high degree of
directionality which is often lost in today's surround mixes. Also,
whether you love the surround mix it or hate it, the only one to blame is
Frank himself, who personally mixed and/or approved the surround
soundtrack. So for better or worse, kudos to the Zappa family for
including it more or less as Frank created it. Personally, I love it.
The surround mix is definitely my preferred way of listening to it.
My only gripe is, and it's a minor one, "why no DTS track?" The Dolby
Digital track sounds fine, but it would have been nice to hear how a DTS
encoding would have treated the surround mix. And, given the amount of
space left over on the disc, I think they could have accomplished that.

The Extras:
First, I'll tell you what's not included.
Call me crazy, but I'm actually pretty disappointed that they didn't
include the behind-the-scenes footage from the Barfko Swill office that
was part of the videocassette release. The full release was a two-tape
affair. The first tape included the first 45 minutes of the program, the
end of which was punctuated by a 3 minute intermission type short,
featuring a few members of the Zappa mailroom staff. We got to meet
Mariel, the Legendary Barfko Executrix. Dottie, The Person Who Pulls The
Things Off. And who could forget the legendary (really!) Gerald Fialka,
"Cool Guy Who Wraps Stuff So It Doesn't Break"? There's some quick
footage of the Mothers at the Garrick, the photo shoot for We're Only in
It For The Money and some looks at current (circa 1987) Zappa product. At
the end of the second tape was a 14 minute tour of the inventory room by
Mr. Fialka. Even the bathrooms. It's a rough and unedited tour of all
the shelves of Barfko Swill product. Finally, the tape included a music
video of Peaches En Regalia, consisting of lots of archival and home movie
footage from the 60's.
After nearly three hours of the behemoth rock extravaganza that is Baby
Snakes, these features function as the perfect brain-relaxing wind-down.
Gerald's cool and slow California style leaves one on an up note,
particularly if you're stayed up till 3am with your friends to watch the
movie. I've always thought of it as sort of an after-dinner mint for the
mind. Unfortunately, none of this material was included in the DVD.
Although it's certainly nice to finally see the entire film without
interruption for the first time the smooth segue from a drum solo to Disco
Boy is indeed a revelation but especially given the storage capacity
apparently available on this particular disc, it would have been nice to
add the original supplements as a bonus somewhere on this DVD.

Now for what they did include.
Baby Snakes Trailer,
Commercial Spot #1
Commercial Spot #2
Roxy Trailer

The first trailer and the two commercial spots are all very nice trailers
for the movie. The narration is funny, and the clips are very
representative of the movie. Moreover, the film quality is excellent,
there is some visible scratches and dirt, but the colors are vibrant and
lifelike, and in some ways the picture seems to rival or perhaps even
exceed that of the feature. How can that be? Let's see here.. A-ha, the
bit rate seems to be hovering right around 8 Mbps! I wonder if that has
something to do with it. This might be the first DVD I've ever seen where
the trailers look better than the movie itself.

The Roxy Trailer.
This is the real kicker.
D'yall know the Zappa album, "Roxy & Elsewhere"? Of course you do. Did
you know that the whole series of Roxy concerts that went to produce that
album were filmed? Back in '74, Frank had the intention of actually
releasing the filmed version of the Roxy performances, but budgetary
concerns, technical problems, and lack of a market to fund such a project
kept it from getting off the ground. Since the Roxy album is such a
favorite among fans, this film has been sort of a mythical holy grail to
Zappa heads ever since. Fast forward to December 25th, 2000.
Zappa.com, the official website, posted a video file for fans to download
which was a 3+ minute trailer for the Roxy Performances. 3 shows, 4
hours, totally uncut. It showed little blurry snippets of the world's
best Zappa band playing their asses off to the music we grew up with.
Then, a few weeks later, it mysteriously disappeared, without notice or
explanation. Fans nervously called the Barfko Swill hotline with
questions aplenty, none of which were answered. The family has been as
tight-lipped as ever about this particular subject, and I've not yet heard
a single word as to what might have happened to the project since 2000.
Fast forward yet again to December 2003. Almost three years to the date,
the Roxy Trailer appears yet again, this time as a bonus to the Baby
Snakes disc. It would seem that either the project is back on schedule,
or the Zappa Family are intentionally messing with our minds. One this
is true.. if a concert video could usurp Baby Snakes as the best Zappa
video ever, the Roxy film could surely be it.

Interface:
The general interface is set up as sort of a cheeky classified dossier.
Every menu and page is emblazoned with words like "Sensitive materials"
and
After the obligatory copyright notice and warnings by Interpol and the
FBI, the picture fizzles out and you get the classic Warning/Guarantee
that has emblazoned many a Zappa release over the years. ("..If there is
a hell, its fires wait for them, not us.")

Next is a scrolling notice from "The Department of Entertainment Security"
to the viewer that the materials they are about to view are of a highly
classified and sensitive nature. This includes grandiose statements just
as:
"The materials you are about to witness must NOT be exposed to the general
population AT ANY TIME. The risk is incalculable. "
Under this notice is a bed of very quiet chamber music that could very
well be the Ensemble Modern.
Finally, it gets to the main menu. The options are:
Play "Baby Snakes"
Chapter Selections
More Stuff
Audio Setup
About This DVD

Moving the cursor above the menu will take you to a not-very-well-hidden
easter egg called "Eyes Only". This is to a page festooned with more
important-looking documents and evidence. Behind this is a bit of
hitherto-unreleased audio from one of the Palladium concerts, where Frank
is explaining to the audience, over a bed of "Stinkfoot", that they are
filming a movie, and he introduces them to their new friends, the
cameramen Bob, Phil and Dick. Nice touch.

The keep case that it comes in includes a file folder labeled "Top Secret
Eyes Only" from the "Department of Entertainment Security". It contains
several news clippings, review, and miscellaneous info. Also included is
a pair of "No-D Glasses", just as did the 1987 videotape.

Chapters:
1. Baby Snakes Rehearsal
2. "This is the show they never see"
3. Baby Snakes
4. Bruce Bickford / "Disco Outfreakage"
5. The Poodle Lecture
6. "She Said" / City of Tiny Lites
7. New York's Finest Crazy Persons
8. "The Way the Air Smells"
9. Pound- Bass and keyboard solo
10. "In You" Rap/Dedication
11. Managua/Bruce Car/Drum Solo
12. Disco Boy
13. "Give people somewhere to xscape thru"
14. King Kong- Roy's Halloween Gas Mask
15. Bobby Brown Goes Down
16. Conehead "All you need to know"
17. I'm So Cute "Entertainment all the way"
18. Titties n' Beer / The Black Page #2 / Audience Participation / The
Dance Contest
19. Jones Crusher
20. Broken Hearts are for Assholes
21. Punky's Whips
22. "Thank You" / Dinah-Moe Humm
23. Camarillo Brillo / Muffin Man
24. San Ber'dino
25. Black Napkins
26. New York's Finest #2 and credits
27. Good Night

nearest dealer and acquire one post-haste. At a street price of under
$20, it's a steal at three times the price... which is about what it cost
to own in 1987. The insane completists might want to hang onto their
videocassette versions for the Gerald Fialka stuff, and for the fact that
technically it does contain a unique (if inferior) mix. But for everyone
else, this DVD effectively replaces all prior releases with a bullet.
Whether you're curious about Zappa and this is your first exposure, or
you're a jaded old collector, this disc comes very highly recommended.

Rogers News 12-23-2003 10:21 PM

Re: Review: Frank Zappa's "Baby Snakes"

Thanks Patrick, good review. I am an FZ fan and will deff get this one.
Baaaaaaaby, baby snaaaaaaaakes.
news:Pine.GSO.4.58.0312212204200.29500@darkwing.uo regon.edu...