Velocity Reviews

-   -   Fullscreen will have to change it's name soon (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t264886-fullscreen-will-have-to-change-its-name-soon.html)

C. Montgomery Burns 12-20-2003 06:07 PM

Fullscreen will have to change it's name soon

Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold, the "Full
screen" DVD versions will no longer fill the screen and hence they will no
longer be considered full screen. They will have black bars on the SIDES
of the widescreen TVs when played on one.

And soon the widescreen DVDs will truly be the Fullscreen versions.

What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

Rich Clark 12-20-2003 06:58 PM

Re: Fullscreen will have to change it's name soon

"C. Montgomery Burns" <CMBurns@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:td0Fb.12314$Pg1.7197@newsread1.news.pas.earth link.net...
> Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold, the "Full
> screen" DVD versions will no longer fill the screen and hence they will no
> longer be considered full screen. They will have black bars on the SIDES
> of the widescreen TVs when played on one.
>
> And soon the widescreen DVDs will truly be the Fullscreen versions.
>
> What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
> Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

Why can't they just put a picture on the box, showing a 16:9 rectangle with
a representation inside it of how the image on the disc is formatted?

RichC

Stan Brown 12-20-2003 07:31 PM

Re: Fullscreen will have to change its name soon

In article <td0Fb.12314$Pg1.7197@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink .net>
in alt.video.dvd, C. Montgomery Burns wrote:
>Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold, the "Full
>screen" DVD versions ... will have black bars on the SIDES
>of the widescreen TVs when played on one.
>
>What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
>Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

"Standard", of course.

(ducks and runs for exit)

http://OakRoadSystems.com

C. Montgomery Burns 12-20-2003 07:39 PM

Re: Fullscreen will have to change it's name soon

"Rich Clark" <rdclark2SPAM@TRAPcomcast.net> wrote in

> "C. Montgomery Burns" <CMBurns@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:td0Fb.12314$Pg1.7197@newsread1.news.pas.earth link.net...
>> What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
>> Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

> Why can't they just put a picture on the box, showing a 16:9 rectangle
> with a representation inside it of how the image on the disc is
> formatted?
>
> RichC

Thank you for your prompt response, Mr. RichC, however you have failed to
answer the original question posed. What will "Fullscreen" be called in a
few years? Just a picture just won't cut it. We need a name for the
format.

C.M. Burns

Release the hounds, Smithers.

Mark Jones 12-20-2003 07:43 PM

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:MPG.1a4e6dace7cb1f2798ba00@news.odyssey.net.. .
> In article <td0Fb.12314$Pg1.7197@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink .net>
> in alt.video.dvd, C. Montgomery Burns wrote:
> >Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold, the "Full
> >screen" DVD versions ... will have black bars on the SIDES
> >of the widescreen TVs when played on one.
> >
> >What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
> >Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

> "Standard", of course.

Retro.

C. Montgomery Burns 12-20-2003 07:44 PM

Re: Fullscreen will have to change its name soon

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in

> In article <td0Fb.12314$Pg1.7197@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink .net>
> in alt.video.dvd, C. Montgomery Burns wrote:
>>Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold, the "Full
>>screen" DVD versions ... will have black bars on the SIDES
>>of the widescreen TVs when played on one.
>>
>>What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
>>Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

> "Standard", of course.
>
> (ducks and runs for exit)

Thank you for your response, Mr. Brown. However "Standard" seems to me to
be a bit ambiguous as to its meaning. For some, "Widescreen" is the
standard.

Smithers, release the hounds.

Ken W. 12-20-2003 08:22 PM

Re: Fullscreen will have to change it's name soon

"C. Montgomery Burns" <CMBurns@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:td0Fb.12314$Pg1.7197@newsread1.news.pas.earth link.net...
> Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold, the "Full
> screen" DVD versions will no longer fill the screen and hence they will no
> longer be considered full screen. They will have black bars on the SIDES
> of the widescreen TVs when played on one.
>
> And soon the widescreen DVDs will truly be the Fullscreen versions.
>
> What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
> Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

"Wal-Mart" version or "Hillbilly" version

Rich Clark 12-20-2003 08:29 PM

news:dA1Fb.12642$0s2.2753@newsread2.news.pas.earth link.net...
> Thank you for your prompt response, Mr. RichC, however you have failed to
> answer the original question posed. What will "Fullscreen" be called in a
> few years? Just a picture just won't cut it. We need a name for the
> format.

Why? And if so, "4:3" is a perfectly good name.

RichC

fRED 12-20-2003 08:39 PM

Re: Fullscreen will have to change it's name soon

> > Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold,

I still don't know a single person that owns one. Yes I see them in the
stores, but don't know of any friends, relatives, or coworkers that buy any of
them.

> the "Full
> > screen" DVD versions will no longer fill the screen and hence they will no
> > longer be considered full screen.

Newsflash... Even widescreen movies don't fill the screens on widescreen
tvs! You STILL see black bars because there is no standard widescreen
dimensions. Everytime I see a movie being played on a store's widescreen
TVs, I still see black bars and people asking why and laughing.

> They will have black bars on the SIDES
> > of the widescreen TVs when played on one.

Best way to solve that, is to stay with normal standard broadcast television
sets and normal fullscreen video, like that on all the networks and broadcast
stations. Thank god CNN has not started putting black bars over their video,
yet many of the commercials I now see DO have the bars and I can't figure out
why, other than people think the bars are COOL and MTV-like and feel they need
to put them on commercials now. Commercials that were never intended to be
shown on theater screens.

> > And soon the widescreen DVDs will truly be the Fullscreen versions.

Never. Go to a store that sells widescreen TVs and have them play a widescreen
DVD on it and pay attention to those big black bars! They are still
there! Doh!

> > What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years?

Standard. HDTV and widescreen will go the way of quad and AM stereo. No
one is going to replace every set in their house with sets that cost thousands
of dollars. Then there is the cost of replacing every VCR since they are not
HDTV compatible and will not record anything. Every household spending a
half a million dollars to convert to the new system? Not going to happen.

Going from black and white to color was ok, because you didn't have to replace
your existing B&W set to continue watching. You had decades to wait and get a
color set. Same when FM went to stereo, you can STILL use your old mono
radios to receive the broadcasts. But with digital television, you can NOT
watch the broadcasts on your existing sets, thus either every single household
in the nation has to immediately go out and buy all new equipment, or not be
able to watch television anymore. THAT was the mistake, and why digital
television will NEVER REPLACE analog television. It might be able to live
along side it, like FM lived along side AM, but just as AM was never replaced by
FM or UHF never replaced VHF, Analog TV with the standard 3:4 ratio screen will
ALWAYS be with us, just like AM radio is still with us and still strong.

The day widescreen TVs replace fullscreen and no one has a standard fullscreen
3:4 tv set anymore, is the day that no one has any AM radios anymore.

fRED 12-20-2003 08:46 PM

Re: Fullscreen will have to change it's name soon

> Thank you for your prompt response, Mr. RichC, however you have failed to
> answer the original question posed. What will "Fullscreen" be called in a
> few years?

What was AM called in a few years after FM came? What was VHF called in a
few years after UHF came along?

Why do you think the name is going to change?

Keep in mind that most widescreen movies don't fill the screen of widescreen
TVs, there are STILL black bars. Go to a store and check. I love
pointing that out to the salesman loudly so all the customers can hear, then
they all look at the expensive widescreen set with the widescreen DVD playing
and say: "Hey yeah! Why are there still black bars? Guess there is no
reason to buy one of those sets then, we already get that now on our regular
sets!" And then they all go away laughing and the salesman gets ****ed and
turns off the widescreen set and turns on a regular set and plays a fullscreen
DVD.

Live and learn.