Velocity Reviews

-   -   Intel wifi won't go to channel 13 ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t26433-intel-wifi-wont-go-to-channel-13-a.html)

Txl 12-21-2005 08:21 PM

Intel wifi won't go to channel 13 ?

Hello

I have a toshiba laptop with an INTEL 2200BG wifi module in it and I can't
set the damn thing to channel 13 which is the best for me since the other
channels are jammed by phones operating in the 2.4Ghz range.

I have gotten the latest drivers from intel 9.0.2.31 but I can only set
the channel from 1 to 11.

Are there "hacked" drivers that would let me do what I want with this
intel board ?

Thanks

--
Utilisant le client e-mail révolutionnaire d'Opera :
http://www.opera.com/mail/

Ajay Agrawal 12-22-2005 05:54 AM

Re: Intel wifi won't go to channel 13 ?

2.4GHz frequency band offers 14 channels, but not all channels can be used
in all the countries. Like in USA only first 11 channels are permitted...

Thanks,
-Ajay

Txl 12-22-2005 07:14 AM

Re: Intel wifi won't go to channel 13 ?

So it would mean that although 13 is allowed in europe the intel drivers
shipped to all the world are US ones ?

DevilsPGD 12-22-2005 10:43 AM

In message <op.s16bp1zv8ro6vz@jc> Txl <pasmoi@pasla.fr> wrote:

>So it would mean that although 13 is allowed in europe the intel drivers
>shipped to all the world are US ones ?

More then likely the drivers detect where you're located based on your
regional settings...

--
do not creep a coconut
-- NANAE

Philip Doragh 12-22-2005 12:00 PM

"DevilsPGD" <spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
> In message <op.s16bp1zv8ro6vz@jc> Txl <pasmoi@pasla.fr> wrote:
>
>>So it would mean that although 13 is allowed in europe the intel drivers
>>shipped to all the world are US ones ?

> More then likely the drivers detect where you're located based on your
> regional settings...

Nope... the 2200bg is sold in multiple SKUs, with the difference in the SKUs
being what channels are supported: 1-11, 1-13 and 1-14. The channel setting
and SKU is determined at manufacturing time.

Txl 12-23-2005 08:28 AM

Re: Intel wifi won't go to channel 13 ?

So it means the morons at intel are willingly disabling some of their
boards and the super morons at toshiba are buying these ?

Great news, my next laptop will DEFINITELY NOT have an intel board in it...

i suppose there is no software way to circumvent the hardware lock ?

FedUp 12-23-2005 03:32 PM

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 09:28:20 +0100, Txl wrote:

> So it means the morons at intel are willingly disabling some of their
> boards and the super morons at toshiba are buying these ?
>
> Great news, my next laptop will DEFINITELY NOT have an intel board in it...
>
> i suppose there is no software way to circumvent the hardware lock ?

Why blame Intel or Toshiba? If you knew you wanted to use channel 13 why
didn't you purchase a wifi confirured computer that supports this channel.
The Government regulates the airwaves. Complain to them if you think it
will do any good.

Txl 12-24-2005 10:07 AM

Re: Intel wifi won't go to channel 13 ?

Except in that case the government allow the usage of channel 13 in France
and Intel france and Toshiba france selling the computer have decided not
to use this channel because it is forbidden in the US and they are too
lazy to change their boards hardware locks and/or drivers....

I don't buy from the government, I buy from toshiba which buys from intel,
I PAID them so my right to complain goes to them and not to the government.

I hope one day you don't buy a computer with a network card limited to
10Mbps speed because in Tuvalu or Tadjikistant it is forbidden to get a
faster network, what if all lenovo laptops coming from china were
hardware-firewalled to prevent US customers to go on the information
sites...since it is forbidden in China...

Pavel A. 12-24-2005 08:14 PM

"Txl" <pasmoi@pasla.fr> wrote in message news:op.s16bp1zv8ro6vz@jc...
> So it would mean that although 13 is allowed in europe the intel drivers shipped to all the world are US ones ?

Typically Intel does not distribute their drivers directly to users.
Instead, users are supposed to get the drivers from their computer
vendors such as Dell, Lenovo and so on.
Then you get driver that is custom tailored to specific computer model and
countries where it is sold, and is supported by the vendor.

Regards,
--PA

fantomex 09-16-2006 06:13 PM

Txl wrote:
> *Hello
>
> I have a toshiba laptop with an INTEL 2200BG wifi module in it and I
> can't
> set the damn thing to channel 13 which is the best for me since the
> other
> channels are jammed by phones operating in the 2.4Ghz range.
>
> I have gotten the latest drivers from intel 9.0.2.31 but I can only
> set
> the channel from 1 to 11.
>
> Are there "hacked" drivers that would let me do what I want with
> this
> intel board ?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Utilisant le client e-mail révolutionnaire d'Opera :
> http://www.opera.com/mail/ *

u can hack it yourself. i mean the card fw - see here
http://www.fx.cz/sklad/intel/

--
fantomex
http://www.mcse.ms