Velocity Reviews

-   -   Temporary DVD's Bombing... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t263861-temporary-dvds-bombing.html)

Jordan Lund 10-30-2003 06:35 PM

Temporary DVD's Bombing...

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...w=wn_tophead_1

There's a piece of good news...

FWIW, I think they're targeting the wrong market. The place to sell
these things is hotels.

- Jordan

Just a friend 10-30-2003 07:40 PM

Re: Temporary DVD's Bombing...

"Jordan Lund" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:92dbefbe.0310301035.7e458a34@posting.google.c om...
| http://www.wired.com/news/technology...w=wn_tophead_1
|
| There's a piece of good news...
|
| FWIW, I think they're targeting the wrong market. The place to sell
| these things is hotels.

Another big market opportunity: all the DVD players in cars/vans/trucks. On
a road trip it is very hard to rent and return DVDs, but temp-DVDs would be
ideal. You could think about gas stations selling them.

JaF

El stinky 10-30-2003 10:18 PM

Re: Temporary DVD's Bombing...

7 dollars a disc? On average a used DVD at a rental store costs 10 bucks and
you get to keep it. On the road, Used DVDs can be found at any Flying J
truck stop for 6.99. The selections in the used sections at places like
schlockbuster and hollywood are only a couple weeks old. Every town has a
RockBlaster and probably a hollywood video. this will fail. All the sales of
these things will probably be generated from poor schmucks who don't pay
attention to the word "disposable". Same as they don't pay attention to
"Widescreen"

--
_________________________________
Home Of The Tiltwheel

Nick Macpherson 10-30-2003 10:34 PM

Re: Temporary DVD's Bombing...

>From: lundj@earthlink.net (Jordan Lund)

>http://www.wired.com/news/technology...w=wn_tophead_1
>
>There's a piece of good news...
>
>FWIW, I think they're targeting the wrong market. The place to sell
>these things is hotels.

The grocery store I shop at sells them but it's right next door to a Hollywood
Video, and within walking distance of three other video stores. It makes no
marketing sense. The whole thing is a bad idea. The only way I can see
something like this working is if the DVDs weren't disposable, and what you
were buying for 6.99 was the bare-bones movie, no extras, no inserts, etc.
Something like that might work.

Mark B. 10-31-2003 10:43 AM

Re: Temporary DVD's Bombing...

"Jordan Lund" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:92dbefbe.0310301035.7e458a34@posting.google.c om...
> http://www.wired.com/news/technology...w=wn_tophead_1
>
> There's a piece of good news...
>
> FWIW, I think they're targeting the wrong market. The place to sell
> these things is hotels.
>
> - Jordan

Hotels is a great idea. The cost wouldn't be much more than what they
charge already, no need to worry about the movie getting stolen, and the
environmentalists can be satisfied that for the most part, the hotel can
collect & return them.

Mark

Scott Higdon 10-31-2003 05:09 PM

Re: Temporary DVD's Bombing...

In <Nbgob.84989$vj2.48017@fed1read06> El stinky wrote:
> 7 dollars a disc? On average a used DVD at a rental store costs 10
> bucks and you get to keep it. On the road, Used DVDs can be found at
> any Flying J truck stop for 6.99. The selections in the used sections
> at places like schlockbuster and hollywood are only a couple weeks old.
> Every town has a RockBlaster and probably a hollywood video. this will
> fail. All the sales of these things will probably be generated from
> poor schmucks who don't pay attention to the word "disposable". Same
> as they don't pay attention to "Widescreen"

This whole thing is idiotic. Why put them in grocery stores? Nobody goes
to a grocery store expecting to rent a DVD. You expect to be buying one
there. Somebody completely fouled up the marketing on this. They should
be offered at video rental stores as a "CHECK IT OUT, NO LATE FEES!!!"
option in a special section.

And the price. Jeez! I live in South Carolina(one of the places the
article said they were selling them) and you can go to Wal-Mart and dig
through the cheapo bin and get stuff for 5.88. And that stuff won't
expire.

Sydney Assbasket 11-01-2003 02:06 AM

Re: Temporary DVD's Bombing...

>And the price. Jeez! I live in South Carolina(one of the places the
>article said they were selling them) and you can go to Wal-Mart and dig
>through the cheapo bin and get stuff for 5.88. And that stuff won't
>expire.

The $5.88 bin is fine if you want a very small selection of major studio titles
or a large selection of public domain titles. Try finding Signs in that bin.

$6 is an awfully expensive rental. And no special features at that. No wonder
this failed. At least it probably won't be around as long as Divx.

Remove "moc" to reply.

Whoever says "Nothing is impossible" has never tried to slam a
revolving door.
- Willy Walker

Stan Brown 11-01-2003 05:17 AM

Re: Temporary DVD's Bombing...

In article <20031031121252885-0500@news.east.earthlink.net> in
alt.video.dvd, Scott Higdon <s.higdon@mindspring.com> wrote:
>This whole thing is idiotic. Why put them in grocery stores? Nobody goes
>to a grocery store expecting to rent a DVD.

Really? Wegmans seems to be doing quite well on DVD and video
rentals.

Lots of people go to the grocery store twice a week, or even more
often. For them, renting a DVD at the grocery store is great because
it's one less stop.

http://OakRoadSystems.com

Michael S. Cooper 11-01-2003 02:21 PM

Re: Temporary DVD's Bombing...

"Mark B." <mbohntrash54@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Jordan Lund" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:92dbefbe.0310301035.7e458a34@posting.google.c om...

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...w=wn_tophead_1

> > There's a piece of good news...
> >
> > FWIW, I think they're targeting the wrong market. The place to sell
> > these things is hotels.
> >
> > - Jordan

> Hotels is a great idea. The cost wouldn't be much more than what they
> charge already, no need to worry about the movie getting stolen, and the
> environmentalists can be satisfied that for the most part, the hotel can
> collect & return them.

Ah, but most Hotels already have a pay-per-view movie system in their rooms,
at $9.95 a viewing.

Mike Davis 11-01-2003 07:13 PM

Re: Temporary DVD's Bombing...

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:MPG.1a0d0c09df8d743998b675@news.odyssey.net.. .
> In article <20031031121252885-0500@news.east.earthlink.net> in
> alt.video.dvd, Scott Higdon <s.higdon@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >This whole thing is idiotic. Why put them in grocery stores? Nobody goes
> >to a grocery store expecting to rent a DVD.

> Really? Wegmans seems to be doing quite well on DVD and video
> rentals.
>
> Lots of people go to the grocery store twice a week, or even more
> often. For them, renting a DVD at the grocery store is great because
> it's one less stop.
>
> --
> Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cortland County, New York, USA
> http://OakRoadSystems.com
> DVD FAQ: http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
> other FAQs: http://oakroadsystems.com/tech/faqget.htm

Hey Stan,
While I very rarely rent, you make a good point. In fact, one of our
local grocery stores has a HUGE rental section of DVD's that includes some
rare Criterion discs. It may well have a better selection of films you might
actually want to watch than the local Hollywood Video <ggg.> Evidently one
of the asst. managers does all the ordering and must be quite the film buff,
lots of foreign films too.
All the best, Mike
All the best, Mike