Velocity Reviews

-   -   Digital Jitter In Indy Disc 3? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t263710-digital-jitter-in-indy-disc-3-a.html)

Derek Balling 10-22-2003 08:08 PM

Digital Jitter In Indy Disc 3?

On a fairly new sony at 1:23:16 or so (as the gang is driving), there's
a jitter that doesn't look like transfer jitter but almost as though
there was bad encoding for that portion of the disc itself.

Happening on two different players.

Anyone else seeing this?

Grand Inquisitor 10-23-2003 01:20 AM

Re: Digital Jitter In Indy Disc 3?

Derek Balling wrote:
> On a fairly new sony at 1:23:16 or so (as the gang is driving), there's
> a jitter that doesn't look like transfer jitter but almost as though
> there was bad encoding for that portion of the disc itself.
>
> Happening on two different players.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?

Is this around the time that Connery slaps Ford with his hat? That's on
my VHS and I've also seen it on tv airings of the movie.

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

Douglas Bailey 10-23-2003 04:45 AM

Derek Balling <dredd@megacity.org> wrote:
> On a fairly new sony at 1:23:16 or so (as the gang is driving), there's
> a jitter that doesn't look like transfer jitter but almost as though
> there was bad encoding for that portion of the disc itself.

This is the three-shot of Dr Jones, Dr Jones and Sallah driving? I saw
it, too: like the shot in _Raiders_ (see the "Indy DVD picture
jitters" thread), it looked like a focus problem to me.

doug

--

---------------Douglas Bailey (trystero@world.std.com)---------------
I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...

Martin Schemitsch 10-23-2003 04:12 PM

Re: Digital Jitter In Indy Disc 3?

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:08:37 -0400, Derek Balling <dredd@megacity.org>
wrote:

> On a fairly new sony at 1:23:16 or so (as the gang is driving), there's
> a jitter that doesn't look like transfer jitter but almost as though
> there was bad encoding for that portion of the disc itself.
>
> Happening on two different players.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?

I watched the movie seven times at the movies and there is one or maybe two
shots when they are driving the car where you can clearly see that the
camera is mounted onto the car but maybe too tight, because there is
vibration from the driving car which causes the image to jitter (very
noticable on the big big screen, but luckily it doesn't last very long).

So no problem with the encoding...

Just my 2 cents,
Martin

"I don't know. I'm making this up as I go!"
(H.Ford as Dr. H.Jones Jr. in "Raiders of the Lost Ark")

Mike Jackson 10-23-2003 05:11 PM

Re: Digital Jitter In Indy Disc 3?

> On a fairly new sony at 1:23:16 or so (as the gang is driving), there's
> a jitter that doesn't look like transfer jitter but almost as though
> there was bad encoding for that portion of the disc itself.
>
> Happening on two different players.

The only problem I noticed was just after the tank goes over the cliff and
there's the low-angle shot of Henry and Sallah looking over the cliff. The
sky looks incredibly bright, and everything else is over-saturated. It's
only the one shot; everything else looks normal. I don't remember that from
my millions of viewings on VHS.

Mike Jackson
Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
www.dvdverdict.com