Velocity Reviews

-   -   Indy DVD picture jitters (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t263692-indy-dvd-picture-jitters.html)

Jeff Pearson 10-22-2003 02:02 AM

Indy DVD picture jitters

Early on in the movie when from behind cobwebs we see Jones and Satipo
enter the Hovito temple, the image is unsteady for a few seconds, as if the
camera was poorly secured.

At least that's how it appears on my TV. I've never noticed this before,
not while seeing Raiders 11 times in theaters or all the times after on
laserdisc. Has anyone else seen the same thing, or could this be some
weird anomaly of my player or DVD copy? Or maybe a transfer error on the
new release?

Grand Inquisitor 10-22-2003 03:19 AM

Re: Indy DVD picture jitters

Jeff Pearson wrote:
> Early on in the movie when from behind cobwebs we see Jones and Satipo
> enter the Hovito temple, the image is unsteady for a few seconds, as if the
> camera was poorly secured.
>
> At least that's how it appears on my TV. I've never noticed this before,
> not while seeing Raiders 11 times in theaters or all the times after on
> laserdisc. Has anyone else seen the same thing, or could this be some
> weird anomaly of my player or DVD copy? Or maybe a transfer error on the
> new release?

Hmmm....I noticed a similar jitter in a few different scenes in The Last
Crusade, but not on the DVD (hasn't arrived in the mail yet :-( ), on my
old VHS. It was there every time I watched it, on different players
too. And the odd thing is, I also saw it whenever it aired on tv.

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

Impmon 10-22-2003 05:55 PM

Re: Indy DVD picture jitters

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 02:02:36 GMT, Jeff Pearson <enigma@mystery.net>
typed:

>as anyone else seen the same thing, or could this be some
>weird anomaly of my player or DVD copy? Or maybe a transfer error on the
>new release?

No jitter in my copy. Mine's WS BTW but I'm sure P&S is fine as well.

First I'd try a different DVD player. If the jitter's still there, get
it replaced. If not, your player could be failing.
--
space for rent.
To reply, change digi.mon to tds.net

Douglas Bailey 10-22-2003 08:25 PM

Re: Indy DVD picture jitters

Jeff Pearson <enigma@mystery.net> wrote:

> Early on in the movie when from behind cobwebs we see Jones and Satipo
> enter the Hovito temple, the image is unsteady for a few seconds, as if the
> camera was poorly secured.

I noticed that jitter, too, though to me it looks more like a slight
loss of focus than a camera move.

I don't have _Raiders_ on any other medium, so I can't compare it to
see if this is a flaw that's always been present. It looks like some
sort of compression error to me, but I could be wrong...

doug

--

---------------Douglas Bailey (trystero@world.std.com)---------------
I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...

Jeff Pearson 10-24-2003 02:21 AM

Re: Indy DVD picture jitters

Douglas Bailey <trystero@world.std.com> wrote in

> Jeff Pearson <enigma@mystery.net> wrote:
>
>> Early on in the movie when from behind cobwebs we see Jones and
>> Satipo enter the Hovito temple, the image is unsteady for a few
>> seconds, as if the camera was poorly secured.

> I noticed that jitter, too, though to me it looks more like a slight
> loss of focus than a camera move.
>
> I don't have _Raiders_ on any other medium, so I can't compare it to
> see if this is a flaw that's always been present. It looks like some
> sort of compression error to me, but I could be wrong...
>
> doug

The effect is the same on my PC's DVD drive, so it's almost certainly
either something inherent in the film or a flaw in the DVD transfer.

Should have checked that out before posting. Sorry about that. Still,
it's an interesting anomaly.