Velocity Reviews

-   -   Charlie's Angels at Blockbuster (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t263686-charlies-angels-at-blockbuster.html)

Hubert Borrmann 10-21-2003 11:05 PM

Charlie's Angels at Blockbuster

I stopped at my local Blockbuster and intended to rent Charlie's Angels
(unrated) to see whether it is good enough to buy.
They had only "Full Screen" versions.
The manager informed me that they have widescreen, but only for sale.
I did not rent it and will go to Mr.Movies, where they have both versions.
Is this a local problem or nationwide, I wonder?
Greetings,
Hubert.

Mark B. 10-21-2003 11:13 PM

Re: Charlie's Angels at Blockbuster

"Hubert Borrmann" <hborrmann@gbronline.com> wrote in message
> I stopped at my local Blockbuster and intended to rent Charlie's Angels
> (unrated) to see whether it is good enough to buy.
> They had only "Full Screen" versions.
> The manager informed me that they have widescreen, but only for sale.
> I did not rent it and will go to Mr.Movies, where they have both versions.
> Is this a local problem or nationwide, I wonder?
> Greetings,
> Hubert.

I used to have the same problem at my BB, but recently they started carrying
WS. I'll go to Hollywood Video most of the time anyway, they rent out
everything for 5 days including new releases.

Mark

Black Locust 10-22-2003 05:02 AM

Re: Charlie's Angels at Blockbuster

In article <za-dncBAyqshJgiiU-KYvA@gbronline.com>,
"Hubert Borrmann" <hborrmann@gbronline.com> wrote:

> I stopped at my local Blockbuster and intended to rent Charlie's Angels
> (unrated) to see whether it is good enough to buy.
> They had only "Full Screen" versions.
> The manager informed me that they have widescreen, but only for sale.
> I did not rent it and will go to Mr.Movies, where they have both versions.
> Is this a local problem or nationwide, I wonder?
> Greetings,
> Hubert.

I looked into this and discovered the studio(columbia trimark) pulled
something very tricky and odd with Full Crapple. They released a rated
version in FOOL screen only and an unrated version in widescreen only.
Definitely a first, but a stupid idea as well. Blockbuster of course has
the tendency to dry hump "rated" versions because they're a "family"
store and thus the reason for them having the "full screen" version.
Rest assured Blockbuster's policy still remains widescreen and
widescreen only for 99% of movies.

For the record, I have not and never will watch a stupid ass movie like
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle. I learned my lesson with the first one.
Why do you need to rent this to see whether it's good enough to buy?
It's quite clearly a pile of dog ****. When the director calls himself
"McG" you know you're in for 90 minute of pure crap.
--
BL

Mondo Kane 10-22-2003 05:43 AM

Re: Charlie's Angels at Blockbuster

I had the one of the most unpleasant evenings of my life, agreeing to go
along with a hyper friend who wanted to see this.. uh, movie?

It is indeed one of the worst and crappiest films ever! I got a headache
not long into the film, and often literally felt like throwing up at
having to watch it!

There is nothing of value to CA: Full Throttle... seriously... it sucked
so very very bad. Warning: I promise you WILL only watch it ONCE! --
Save your money.

Mondo Kane

Paul C. 10-22-2003 03:22 PM

Re: Charlie's Angels at Blockbuster

mondokane@webtv.net (Mondo Kane) wrote in news:6010-3F9618ED-361
@storefull-2198.public.lawson.webtv.net:

> There is nothing of value to CA: Full Throttle... seriously... it

sucked
> so very very bad. Warning: I promise you WILL only watch it ONCE!

--
> Save your money.
>
> Mondo Kane

I rented it for someone else as I had no personal interest AT ALL
but I had free time so I decided to watch. I was surprised that it
wasn't quite as terrible as I thought although practically a science
fiction movie in many ways. I certainly enjoyed it more than that
awful 28 days which I did spend $7.50 at the theater unfortunately.
Point being, everyone likes different things so one persons opinion
MAY not be useful to someone else. You can't always depend on
reviews to make a watching decision as you may be surprised to enjoy
something others didn't.

azzure@olypen.com 10-22-2003 03:58 PM

Mondo Kane wrote:
> I had the one of the most unpleasant evenings of my life, agreeing to go
> along with a hyper friend who wanted to see this.. uh, movie?
>
> It is indeed one of the worst and crappiest films ever! I got a headache
> not long into the film, and often literally felt like throwing up at
> having to watch it!
>
> There is nothing of value to CA: Full Throttle... seriously... it sucked
> so very very bad. Warning: I promise you WILL only watch it ONCE! --
> Save your money.
>
> Mondo Kane

OMG - it was one of those movies you keep thinking (hoping, praying)
that it will get better as it goes on. But no, it just goes on and on
and . . .

Mike

I really like the first one BTW.

Wade365 10-22-2003 06:00 PM

Re: Charlie's Angels at Blockbuster

The first CA movie I saw in the theater because I was on a first date and I
just couldn't take the stagnant conversation... we were driving past a movie
theater when I suggested we catch a film and that was the only thing playing
right then...

I enjoyed the film... it might have been in relative condition to having to
entertain this mud dwelling of a girl I was set up with, but I laughed more
than a few times.

I'll rent the second one, why not? Probably some calculated T&A like the first
with bad wire stunts like the first one... who gives a sh*t if the online
Eberts don't dig it? I mean REALLY? Are you going to have these critics at your
house? No. Go ahead, rent it for a few bucks.

And also, IMO, "28 Days Later" was about the best horror movie I've paid to see
in the last ten years.

(See how different people can be?)

Vlvetmorning98 10-22-2003 09:16 PM

Re: Charlie's Angels at Blockbuster

problems like this varry from store to store. There's no national computer
link-up between stores, either, which makes things very difficult sometimes.

Mondo Kane 10-22-2003 11:03 PM

Re: Charlie's Angels at Blockbuster

I agree that the first CA was OK to very good, with some enjoyable
humour, stunts, and guest stars.

28 Days later was so-so, but does contain some very exciting moments...
although it also is too slow, and not worth watching over and over. But
after seeing it theatrically, I will definitely rent the SpEd DVD to see
the added content.

My favorite online rental service is:

http://www.greencine.com

Mondo Kane

Black Locust 10-23-2003 02:27 AM

Re: Charlie's Angels at Blockbuster

In article <Xns941C7DE9CB540abcdefghjklica@198.164.200.20>,
"Paul C." <Paul_C_NB@yahoo.caremovenospam> wrote:

> I certainly enjoyed it more than that
> awful 28 days which I did spend $7.50 at the theater unfortunately.

Awful 28 Days Later? While it's certainly not the most original movie
ever made, it's sure as hell better than watching 90 minutes of MTV
style editing, bad acting and 3 dumb sluts doing stupid random poses to
licensed pop songs.
--
BL