Velocity Reviews

-   -   Typical Best Buy (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t263551-typical-best-buy.html)

Lord Vader III 10-15-2003 06:10 PM

Typical Best Buy

Went in to Best Buy yesterday to pick up Matrix Reloaded with the Best
Buy bonus DVD as advertised. They had tons of them but the bonus DVD
was only attached to about 1/4 of the Widescreen versions and it was on
ALL of the Full-Screen versions. Nothing like trying to force
Full-Screen down our throats. :(

LVIII

Tarkus 10-15-2003 07:42 PM

Re: Typical Best Buy

On 15 Oct 2003 13:10:15 -0500, Lord Vader III wrote:

> Went in to Best Buy yesterday to pick up Matrix Reloaded with the Best
> Buy bonus DVD as advertised. They had tons of them but the bonus DVD
> was only attached to about 1/4 of the Widescreen versions and it was on
> ALL of the Full-Screen versions. Nothing like trying to force
> Full-Screen down our throats. :(

That makes absolutely no sense. Best Buy sells a ton of widescreen TVs,
so why would they be wanting to force full-screen down anyone's throats?
For that matter, they could simply stop carrying widescreen when there is
an alternative, if that's their goal.

You know, not everything that doesn't go your way is a conspiracy.
--
"Here lies the body of Mary Lee,
died at the age of a hundred and three.

Now playing: "UFO - Natural Thing"

Phil7101 10-15-2003 08:06 PM

Re: Typical Best Buy

>Went in to Best Buy yesterday to pick up Matrix Reloaded with the Best
>Buy bonus DVD as advertised. They had tons of them but the bonus DVD
>was only attached to about 1/4 of the Widescreen versions and it was on
>ALL of the Full-Screen versions. Nothing like trying to force
>Full-Screen down our throats. :(

I noticed that too...I had to dig through all the fullscreens before I finally
found one WS copy with the extra disc lurking in the back!

mzmeryze 10-15-2003 08:28 PM

Re: Typical Best Buy

<lord_vader_iii@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Went in to Best Buy yesterday to pick up Matrix Reloaded with the Best
>Buy bonus DVD as advertised.

What was the bonus DVD they were offering? The Coming Soon DVD?

Jordan Lund 10-15-2003 08:47 PM

Re: Typical Best Buy

Lord Vader III <lord_vader_iii@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3F8D8D00.39@hotmail.com>...
> Went in to Best Buy yesterday to pick up Matrix Reloaded with the Best
> Buy bonus DVD as advertised. They had tons of them but the bonus DVD
> was only attached to about 1/4 of the Widescreen versions and it was on
> ALL of the Full-Screen versions. Nothing like trying to force
> Full-Screen down our throats. :(

The bonus disc is pretty worthless BTW... There is no menu so the only
way of navigation is to go through with the chapter stops.

What do you get?

The original Matrix trailer (the one that was a DVD-ROM feature on the
original disc.)

"What is Bullet Time" (from the original disc)

Behind the scenes on the Animatrix (from the Animatrix)

One full cartoon from the Animatrix

Matrix Reloaded trailer.

That's it.

- Jordan

Michael S. Cooper 10-16-2003 12:10 AM

Re: Typical Best Buy

"Lord Vader III" <lord_vader_iii@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Went in to Best Buy yesterday to pick up Matrix Reloaded with the Best
> Buy bonus DVD as advertised. They had tons of them but the bonus DVD
> was only attached to about 1/4 of the Widescreen versions and it was on
> ALL of the Full-Screen versions. Nothing like trying to force
> Full-Screen down our throats. :(

Sounds more like they're trying not to get stuck with so many of them on the
shelf.

Dick Sidbury 10-16-2003 12:35 AM

Re: Typical Best Buy

Phil7101 wrote:
>>Went in to Best Buy yesterday to pick up Matrix Reloaded with the Best
>>Buy bonus DVD as advertised. They had tons of them but the bonus DVD
>>was only attached to about 1/4 of the Widescreen versions and it was on
>>ALL of the Full-Screen versions. Nothing like trying to force
>>Full-Screen down our throats. :(

> I noticed that too...I had to dig through all the fullscreens before I finally
> found one WS copy with the extra disc lurking in the back!

I was told that each Best Buy got a bunch of Matrix Reloaded's -- but
not all of them had the bonus disk, my store said approximately 1/3 did.
I went this morning to buy 3 copies and found that most of the copies
did NOT have the bonus disk.

My daughter called me last night to tell me that ALL of the bonus disk
widescreen versions were sold out at her bestbuy (Syracuse NY) but they
still had plenty of full screen bonus disk versions. So when I went
this morning to my bestbuy to get them for three of us, I had to look
through the display case at the front of the store through about 50
copies to find 3 bonus disk widescreen copies. They had many more full
screen bonus disk copies. And they had more with no bonus disk than
they did with bonus disk.

So my interpretation is that most of the buyers who wanted the bonus
disk wanted the wide screen version of the movie, so all of them sold
more quickly than the full screen ones.

They appear to have underestimated the ws/fs preferences by first day
buyers.

YMMV

dick

Peter 10-16-2003 01:44 AM

Re: Typical Best Buy

When I was in Best buy in Canada, they had a display of Reloaded. One
half was Fullscreen, the other half (I assume) was Widescreen, however
there were only a few left (like about 5) while there was plenty (up to
50+) of the fullscreen. Made me feel glad.

I bought my copy at Wal-mart. When I went in there I found two copies,
one Fullscreen, one widescreen. Seems they sold out fast. OR are slow as
molasses in re-stocking

--
At the source of every error which is blamed on the
computer you will find at least two human errors,

azzure@olypen.com 10-16-2003 02:03 AM

Re: Typical Best Buy

Tarkus wrote:
> You know, not everything that doesn't go your way is a conspiracy.

Who are you in on this with - and why are you trying to make the rest of
us feel so . . . well, so paranoid.

Stan Brown 10-16-2003 02:04 AM

Re: Typical Best Buy

In article <szvsgkdtvs8v$.dlg@tarkus.karnevil9.com> in
alt.video.dvd, Tarkus <karnevil9@beer.com> wrote:
>You know, not everything that doesn't go your way is a conspiracy.

I bet they made you say that. :-)

http://OakRoadSystems.com