Velocity Reviews

-   -   Scarface: Universal screws up worse than ever. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t263276-scarface-universal-screws-up-worse-than-ever.html)

PseudoApparition 09-30-2003 12:59 AM

Scarface: Universal screws up worse than ever.

So, at least here in Canada, there's 3 versions of the new Scarface DVD:

2-Disc Special Edition - Widescreen
2-Disc Special Edition - Fullscreen
3-Disc Super Special Edition - Widescreen

The problem is, both of the 2-disc versions look EXACTLY THE SAME, except
for a TINY red bar on the top of the spine that says whether it's FULL or
WIDE, or, if you read the specs on the back, it'll say if it's 1.33:1 or
2.35:1, but the print isn't exactly large or easily noticable. The point
is, there's absolutely no indication on the front of the box that says which
version you have in your hands. Bad Universal! tsk tsk. There's going to
be a lot of angry people returning this DVD over the next few weeks, for
sure (on both sides of the spectrum, unfortunately). But not in the
store -I- work at. :) I put big white stickers on all of the copies we
have, that all say either:
W I D E S C R E E N
Original Aspect Ratio

or

F U L L S C R E E N
Modified Aspect Ratio

I don't even know why a Fullscreen version of a movie like this exists.
Especially as a special edition. It'd be nice if it had a short
informational piece about WS vs FS, using footage from Scarface. Oh well.

Dan

Joshua Zyber 09-30-2003 02:25 AM

Re: Scarface: Universal screws up worse than ever.

"PseudoApparition" <glasspants@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> The problem is, both of the 2-disc versions look EXACTLY THE SAME,

except
> for a TINY red bar on the top of the spine that says whether it's FULL

or
> WIDE, or, if you read the specs on the back, it'll say if it's 1.33:1

or
> 2.35:1, but the print isn't exactly large or easily noticable.

Somehow, I don't consider this the worst screw up Universal has ever
made. Frankly, the forced unskippable trailers in front of most of their
DVDs these days are a lot more offensive. Does Scarface have any of
those?

Monsseur Byrd 09-30-2003 02:59 AM

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:25:15 GMT, "Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-DROP-DEAD.mindspring.com> wrote:

>"PseudoApparition" <glasspants@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> The problem is, both of the 2-disc versions look EXACTLY THE SAME,

>except
>> for a TINY red bar on the top of the spine that says whether it's FULL

>or
>> WIDE, or, if you read the specs on the back, it'll say if it's 1.33:1

>or
>> 2.35:1, but the print isn't exactly large or easily noticable.

>Somehow, I don't consider this the worst screw up Universal has ever
>made. Frankly, the forced unskippable trailers in front of most of their
>DVDs these days are a lot more offensive. Does Scarface have any of
>those?

My players skips over them just fine.

Doc Speedbyrd

Scott Streeter 09-30-2003 03:04 AM

Monsseur Byrd <teBeard@oss.edu> writes:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:25:15 GMT, "Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-DROP-DEAD.mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >"PseudoApparition" <glasspants@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> >> The problem is, both of the 2-disc versions look EXACTLY THE SAME,

> >except
> >> for a TINY red bar on the top of the spine that says whether it's FULL

> >or
> >> WIDE, or, if you read the specs on the back, it'll say if it's 1.33:1

> >or
> >> 2.35:1, but the print isn't exactly large or easily noticable.

> >Somehow, I don't consider this the worst screw up Universal has ever
> >made. Frankly, the forced unskippable trailers in front of most of their
> >DVDs these days are a lot more offensive. Does Scarface have any of
> >those?
> >

> My players skips over them just fine.
>
> Doc Speedbyrd

It skips over the ones in Animal House??

--
Scott Streeter
ss@wpi.edu

Doonie 09-30-2003 03:09 AM

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:59:32 GMT, PseudoApparition wrote:

>I don't even know why a Fullscreen version of a movie like this exists.
>Especially as a special edition. It'd be nice if it had a short
>informational piece about WS vs FS, using footage from Scarface. Oh well.

Print out some examples and post them next to the Scarface display
in your store.

Mike McGee 09-30-2003 03:36 AM

Re: Scarface: Universal screws up worse than ever.

In article <7j7k3rq8nc.fsf@grover.WPI.EDU>, Scott Streeter
<ss@grover.WPI.EDU> wrote:

> It skips over the ones in Animal House??

Scott, hit STOP when you see the "Warning" message. Then hit Menu.
it'll work just fine.

Don't wait until the ads/trailers start playing, otherwise it won't
work.

Regards,

Mike

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Mike McGee

Monsseur Byrd 09-30-2003 03:57 AM

On 29 Sep 2003 23:04:23 -0400, Scott Streeter <ss@grover.WPI.EDU> wrote:

>Monsseur Byrd <teBeard@oss.edu> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:25:15 GMT, "Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-DROP-DEAD.mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>> >"PseudoApparition" <glasspants@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> >except
>> >or
>> >or
>> >
>> >Somehow, I don't consider this the worst screw up Universal has ever
>> >made. Frankly, the forced unskippable trailers in front of most of their
>> >DVDs these days are a lot more offensive. Does Scarface have any of
>> >those?
>> >

>> My players skips over them just fine.
>>
>> Doc Speedbyrd

>It skips over the ones in Animal House??

Don't know about AH. Haven't watched that one on DVD yet.

Doc Speedbyrd

Monsseur Byrd 09-30-2003 03:59 AM

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:36:19 GMT, Mike McGee <admin@_removenospam_thedigitalreview.com> wrote:

>In article <7j7k3rq8nc.fsf@grover.WPI.EDU>, Scott Streeter
><ss@grover.WPI.EDU> wrote:
>
>> It skips over the ones in Animal House??

>Scott, hit STOP when you see the "Warning" message. Then hit Menu.
>it'll work just fine.
>
>Don't wait until the ads/trailers start playing, otherwise it won't
>work.
>
>Regards,
>

>Mike

It will work with a good, no-code player

Doc Speedbyrd

Tarkus 09-30-2003 05:50 AM

Re: Scarface: Universal screws up worse than ever.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:59:32 GMT, PseudoApparition wrote:

> The problem is, both of the 2-disc versions look EXACTLY THE SAME, except
> for a TINY red bar on the top of the spine that says whether it's FULL or
> WIDE, or, if you read the specs on the back, it'll say if it's 1.33:1 or
> 2.35:1, but the print isn't exactly large or easily noticable.

And you think that's the worst Universal screw up ever?

Wow!

If only that was even remotely true.
--
"Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What
if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the

Now playing: "Ozzy Osbourne - Live & Loud (1 of 2) - 08 - Flying High Again"

CLOSEDOWN8 09-30-2003 07:38 AM

Re: Scarface: Universal screws up worse than ever.

>> My players skips over them just fine.
>>
>> Doc Speedbyrd

>It skips over the ones in Animal House??

Mine does. You can't go directly to the menu, and you can't do a chapter skip
directly to the end, but you CAN fast-forward to them. The whole "forced
trailers" thing was blown out of proportion. I didn't get the "Animal House"
DVD right away, I just got it no more than a week ago, and I was stunned that
such a simple problem caused such an uproar. Would I rather have the trailers
be easily skippable by not having the chapter skip feature locked out? Yes.
Is it really the end of the world that I have to fast-forward through them?
No. It's not nearly as bad as studio logos and FBI warnings that are
completely, 100% unskippable. Universal has ****ed up on some titles, that's
undeniable, but when it comes to "Animal House", I say EVERYBODY NEEDS TO FIND
SOMETHING ELSE TO BITCH ABOUT!
"That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi