Velocity Reviews

-   -   25th Hour Version Confusion (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t263246-25th-hour-version-confusion.html)

Pat 09-28-2003 07:31 PM

25th Hour Version Confusion

I bought a copy of The 25th Hour from an outdoor flea market. The guy who
sells DVDs sells legit stuff, until now. I am a bit suspicious since the
original 25 Hour that you buy in the US is from Buena Vista Home Video and
is a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. I have a 1.85:1 from the UK by Touchstone Home
Video. I have a different looking DVD cover of The 25th Hour, too. It has
Norton walking his dog but there is no big picture of his profile like on
the Buena Vista cover.

Here are some ids on the back:

(1) Dolby Digital, THX, DTS, and Superbit.

(2) The aspect ratio is 1.85:1 (oooops, the film and Buena Vista DVD are
2.35:1).

(3) The length of the movie should be 135 minutes. Its not listed anywhere
on the back.

(4) It says Touchstone Home Video.

(5) It says manufactured, and distributed in the UK by Universal Studios
(UK( Limited.

There is nothing said about PAL or Region Codes. I have not yet broken the
seal to watch it in case I return it. Could this possibility be a NTSC-R1
for the UK market, made in the UK.

Comments appreciated?

Pat 09-28-2003 07:34 PM

Re: 25th Hour Version Confusion

This is what the front cover looks like:

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7300000000199

Joshua Zyber 09-28-2003 08:15 PM

"Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> (1) Dolby Digital, THX, DTS, and Superbit.

Sounds like a bootleg. Superbit is a trademark of Columbia TriStar. Is
this movie distributed by them anywhere in the world? Additionally, THX
and Superbit are competing quality assurance programs. You won't see a
Superbit DVD that is also THX certified.

Pat 09-29-2003 01:11 AM

Re: 25th Hour Version Confusion

My DVD says Touchstone Home Video which is under Beuna Vista the Disney
group. It all sounds right but the DVD, I fear, is probably bogus. I would
not feel so bad if the runtime was listed and the aspect ratio was proper.

I started searching and decided to try Ebay looking for a match for what I
bought at the flea market. Here it is, I think. Its a 1.85:1 with same front
photo. Doesn't say anything about the run time (135 minutes is the actual).
I also saw a front cover photo on a UK web site but the DVD is said to not
be available for ordering.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2296

news:cjHdb.34997$ai7.28868@newsread1.news.atl.eart hlink.net...

AceoHearts 09-29-2003 02:29 AM

Re: 25th Hour Version Confusion

Well looking at this guys feedback he deals with bootleg DVD's and goes on
vaction a lot. To top it off he has a lot of server issues as well. He
also makes claims that they are high quality asain releases that will play
in the US, but those claims are only in response to complaints in his
feedback. THere are also comments about the items being shipped from
Singapore and several of them were confiscated by customs. Looks like you
got either an Asian release of the film, or a boot legged copy of it.

AceoHearts

Pat 09-29-2003 03:01 PM

Re: 25th Hour Version Confusion

Yup. I should have researched it before buying.

Joshua Zyber 09-29-2003 11:33 PM

> My DVD says Touchstone Home Video which is under Beuna Vista the

Disney
> group. It all sounds right but the DVD, I fear, is probably bogus. I

It says Touchtone and "Superbit" on it? Indisputably a bootleg. Superbit
is a trademark of Colbumbia TriStar and only Columbia TriStar.

Goldfinger 09-30-2003 02:33 PM

news:Zi3eb.45244$ai7.8565@newsread1.news.atl.earth link.net...

> It says Touchtone and "Superbit" on it? Indisputably a bootleg. Superbit
> is a trademark of Colbumbia TriStar and only Columbia TriStar.

I've seen something like a DTS Shawshank Redemption which officially has
never been released. But I tell you the case and disc look just like the
original.