Velocity Reviews

-   -   DVD rip is shorter than the original and the Divx encode is evenshorter with missing microchunks - help? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t263172-dvd-rip-is-shorter-than-the-original-and-the-divx-encode-is-evenshorter-with-missing-microchunks-help.html)

gaffo 09-24-2003 03:32 AM

DVD rip is shorter than the original and the Divx encode is evenshorter with missing microchunks - help?

Blood Simple is 1:35 minutes long.

after both Smartripper and DVDcrypter the movie becomes 1:27 minutes
when I use Dr Divx this is what I'm told.

I encode one file to 1-gig (I use 99-minuteCDrs).........finished Divx
movie is now 1:17 minutes long. Every minute or so there are missing
1/4sec audio and video.

frames are not being dropped........just missing frames.

Both Smart and DVD tell me the rip is fine.

I don't want to try Vstrip - look too complicated ;-/.

Whats going on?.........the other rips pf other DVD's rip/encode and
playback fine.

thank you for your time.

DarkMatter 09-24-2003 09:37 AM

Re: DVD rip is shorter than the original and the Divx encode is even shorter with missing microchunks - help?

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:32:15 -0500, gaffo <gaffo@usenet.net> Gave us:

Snipped off topic retarded bullshit.

Wrong group, RETARD boy.

Leave alt.video.dvd OUT of your stupid Rip It questions!

The Shaggy DA 09-24-2003 12:40 PM

Re: DVD rip is shorter than the original and the Divx encode is even shorter with missing microchunks - help?

Somone **** in your wheatybangs?

"DarkMatter" <DarkMatter@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org> wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:32:15 -0500, gaffo <gaffo@usenet.net> Gave us:
>

> Snipped off topic retarded bullshit.
>
> Wrong group, RETARD boy.
>
> Leave alt.video.dvd OUT of your stupid Rip It questions!

and yes I top posted, coz that probably narks you too...

DarkMatter 09-24-2003 03:12 PM

Re: DVD rip is shorter than the original and the Divx encode is even shorter with missing microchunks - help?

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:40:50 +0100, "The Shaggy DA" <x@x.x> Gave us:

snipped retarded baby bullshit.

>and yes I top posted, coz that probably narks you too...

All it really does is mark you as the total usenet retard that you
obviously are.

The Shaggy DA 09-24-2003 03:26 PM

Re: DVD rip is shorter than the original and the Divx encode is even shorter with missing microchunks - help?

Certainly like the word "retard", don't you? Was it a common expression you
heard around you growing up? Y'know, something to latch onto? Your first
word maybe?

Jason 09-24-2003 08:00 PM

"gaffo" <gaffo@usenet.net> wrote in message
> Blood Simple is 1:35 minutes long.
>
> after both Smartripper and DVDcrypter the movie becomes 1:27 minutes
> when I use Dr Divx this is what I'm told.
>
> I encode one file to 1-gig (I use 99-minuteCDrs).........finished Divx
> movie is now 1:17 minutes long. Every minute or so there are missing
> 1/4sec audio and video.
>
> frames are not being dropped........just missing frames.
>

> Both Smart and DVD tell me the rip is fine.
>

> I don't want to try Vstrip - look too complicated ;-/.
>
> Whats going on?.........the other rips pf other DVD's rip/encode and
> playback fine.
>
> thank you for your time.

Rip the mpeg2/ac3 to your harddrive, not the disc image decssed. Unless you
are going to burn a DVD, their is no reason to rip the entire contents of
the disk.

gaffo 09-24-2003 11:19 PM

Jason wrote:
> "gaffo" <gaffo@usenet.net> wrote in message
>
>>Blood Simple is 1:35 minutes long.
>>
>>after both Smartripper and DVDcrypter the movie becomes 1:27 minutes
>>when I use Dr Divx this is what I'm told.
>>
>>I encode one file to 1-gig (I use 99-minuteCDrs).........finished Divx
>>movie is now 1:17 minutes long. Every minute or so there are missing
>>1/4sec audio and video.
>>
>>frames are not being dropped........just missing frames.
>>

>>Both Smart and DVD tell me the rip is fine.
>>

>>I don't want to try Vstrip - look too complicated ;-/.
>>
>>Whats going on?.........the other rips pf other DVD's rip/encode and
>>playback fine.
>>
>>thank you for your time.
>>

> Rip the mpeg2/ac3 to your harddrive, not the disc image decssed. Unless you
> are going to burn a DVD, their is no reason to rip the entire contents of
> the disk.

thats what I did........just the main 4 or 5 VOB files. Smartripper
seems to pick the relivant files automatically for me.

Still the file onthe hardrive is 97 percent complete and 3-percent missing.

the Divx has fragments of words/frames cut out. ex. "Houston" is
"uston"......etc.............all three test encodes using the two
rippers and Dr Divx ended up with the same missing parts in the same spot.

the rip is not complete even though I'm told that it is.

ideas?

thanks.

Jason 09-25-2003 12:48 AM

> Jason wrote:
> > "gaffo" <gaffo@usenet.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>Blood Simple is 1:35 minutes long.
> >>
> >>after both Smartripper and DVDcrypter the movie becomes 1:27 minutes
> >>when I use Dr Divx this is what I'm told.
> >>
> >>I encode one file to 1-gig (I use 99-minuteCDrs).........finished Divx
> >>movie is now 1:17 minutes long. Every minute or so there are missing
> >>1/4sec audio and video.
> >>
> >>frames are not being dropped........just missing frames.
> >>

> >>Both Smart and DVD tell me the rip is fine.
> >>

> >>I don't want to try Vstrip - look too complicated ;-/.
> >>
> >>Whats going on?.........the other rips pf other DVD's rip/encode and
> >>playback fine.
> >>
> >>thank you for your time.
> >>

> > Rip the mpeg2/ac3 to your harddrive, not the disc image decssed. Unless

you
> > are going to burn a DVD, their is no reason to rip the entire contents

of
> > the disk.
> >

> thats what I did........just the main 4 or 5 VOB files. Smartripper
> seems to pick the relivant files automatically for me.
>
> Still the file onthe hardrive is 97 percent complete and 3-percent

missing.

> the Divx has fragments of words/frames cut out. ex. "Houston" is
> "uston"......etc.............all three test encodes using the two
> rippers and Dr Divx ended up with the same missing parts in the same spot.
>
> the rip is not complete even though I'm told that it is.
>
> ideas?

If that is what you did, you should not have .VOB files. You should have
movie.avi (this should be mpeg2/AC3). Only plausible on NTFS or ext2
(because of the filesize limit.) What movie are you trying to encode?
Somewhere, in one of the packages you are using, I would imagine their is a
bug. Might try to download newer/older versions or rip/decss the DVD with a
different piece of software. I encode my movies directly from the DVD so I
don't have this problem.

gaffo 09-25-2003 03:10 AM

Jason wrote:

> "gaffo" <gaffo@usenet.net> wrote in message
>
>>Jason wrote:
>>
>>>"gaffo" <gaffo@usenet.net> wrote in message

>>>Rip the mpeg2/ac3 to your harddrive, not the disc image decssed. Unless

> you
>
>>>are going to burn a DVD, their is no reason to rip the entire contents

> of
>
>>>the disk.
>>>

>>thats what I did........just the main 4 or 5 VOB files. Smartripper
>>seems to pick the relivant files automatically for me.
>>
>>Still the file onthe hardrive is 97 percent complete and 3-percent

> missing.
>
>>the Divx has fragments of words/frames cut out. ex. "Houston" is
>>"uston"......etc.............all three test encodes using the two
>>rippers and Dr Divx ended up with the same missing parts in the same spot.
>>
>>the rip is not complete even though I'm told that it is.
>>
>>ideas?
>>

> If that is what you did, you should not have .VOB files.

After I rip the DVD onto my harddrive I end up with 4 VOB
files......each 1,048,000 in size.

then I have Dr Divx collect them and encode it to Divx5.02.

You should have
> movie.avi (this should be mpeg2/AC3).

they say they are "vob" files in my exporer window. (under filetype column)

Only plausible on NTFS or ext2
> (because of the filesize limit.)

2.1 gigs? or 1.2 gigs........I forgot........yes I use FAT32 so the
limit remains............I think.

I do have a divx of Blackhawk down which reads as one file in exporer
and is 2.2 gigs!!!!!.....wierd. I later split it to 1 gig and burn to
two 99-minutes CDr's.

I've encoded maybe 4 movies now without trouble. It so much easier than
using DeCSS and Flack and all that other crap from 2-3 yrs ago. That was
too much trouble IMO. So stopped after 3 or so movies (those CDr's all
developed pinholes in them too btw.......so CDr's data ain't that durable)

What movie are you trying to encode?

Coen Brother's first movie "Blood Simple"...........should fit fine on
99-minute CDr with 1600 VBR........90-percent DVD quality IMO ;-).

> Somewhere, in one of the packages you are using, I would imagine their is a
> bug.

Well I know Dr Divx is buggy. Its avi segmenter is a no go. So i have to
encode a 2-gig and then use Easy Video Splitter to get 2 - 1 gig CDr's
worth of avi files.

no other bug has hit me, though I've seen posts from others here who
have trouble with other Dr Divx features (stuff which works on my
machine -weird).

Might try to download newer/older versions or rip/decss the DVD with a
> different piece of software.

well........last options are the original DeCss and Vstrip (of the ones
I have now.............I assume there are at least 20 apss on the net I
could try........but at some point i'll jsut say f^&k it and give up.

I encode my movies directly from the DVD

how do you do that??????????????

so I
> don't have this problem.

maybe I should try that method. It gotta be easy...life too short ...one
can grow old before their time try to get computers to work (esp. my
Via-crapware based PC).

thanks for your reply!

gaffo 09-25-2003 03:52 AM

Jason wrote:
> "gaffo" <gaffo@usenet.net> wrote in message
>
>>Jason wrote:
>>
>>>"gaffo" <gaffo@usenet.net> wrote in message

>>>Rip the mpeg2/ac3 to your harddrive, not the disc image decssed. Unless

> you
>
>>>are going to burn a DVD, their is no reason to rip the entire contents

> of
>
>>>the disk.
>>>

>>thats what I did........just the main 4 or 5 VOB files. Smartripper
>>seems to pick the relivant files automatically for me.
>>
>>Still the file onthe hardrive is 97 percent complete and 3-percent

> missing.
>
>>the Divx has fragments of words/frames cut out. ex. "Houston" is
>>"uston"......etc.............all three test encodes using the two
>>rippers and Dr Divx ended up with the same missing parts in the same spot.
>>
>>the rip is not complete even though I'm told that it is.
>>
>>ideas?
>>

> If that is what you did, you should not have .VOB files. You should have
> movie.avi (this should be mpeg2/AC3). Only plausible on NTFS or ext2
> (because of the filesize limit.) What movie are you trying to encode?
> Somewhere, in one of the packages you are using, I would imagine their is a
> bug. Might try to download newer/older versions or rip/decss the DVD with a
> different piece of software. I encode my movies directly from the DVD so I
> don't have this problem.
>

>>thanks.

figured it out. Dr Divx is the weak link. my DVD rip is fine - i tried
playnghte VOB on the hardrive and it is ok and complete.

Wierd.........the other 4 0r 5 moives encoded just fine using Dr Divx.

I'll try Vidomi then. hopefully I don't need a CS degree to figure out
the app.

thanks.