Velocity Reviews

-   -   HELP--DVD Player Recommendation (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t262775-help-dvd-player-recommendation.html)

J.V. 09-05-2003 10:32 PM

HELP--DVD Player Recommendation

We have a sony DVP-NS715P. We (my sons asked me to) bought this model last
year because it was a "state of the art" model and had a good price; but
most importantly it would play (VCD's). Well all of us have tried to burn
various kinds of VCDs on various CD burners but it just won't do it very
well. Usually has video but no sound. Today, we (my sons) purchased a DVD
burner with a stack of DVD+R discs. The salesman told us the " + " is the
modern format and the " - R " was old stuff before 2 years ago. Now it
looks like, once again, our state of the art DVD won't do the job for us,
becuase the manual seems to indicate this only plays " -R " format.

So what is a good "multifunction" DVD player? Someone said a $40.00 APEX is
better than this SONY. I don't think APEX is sold anymore. Comments?

PS: We can, at least, watch DVDs in good quality on this player.

Pug Fugley 09-05-2003 10:47 PM

Re: HELP--DVD Player Recommendation

"J.V." <jv.price@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:0a86b.595$Yt.163@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink .net...
> We have a sony DVP-NS715P. We (my sons asked me to) bought this model

last
> year because it was a "state of the art" model and had a good price; but
> most importantly it would play (VCD's). Well all of us have tried to

burn
> various kinds of VCDs on various CD burners but it just won't do it very
> well. Usually has video but no sound. Today, we (my sons) purchased a

DVD
> burner with a stack of DVD+R discs. The salesman told us the " + " is the
> modern format and the " - R " was old stuff before 2 years ago. Now it
> looks like, once again, our state of the art DVD won't do the job for us,
> becuase the manual seems to indicate this only plays " -R " format.

First of all, you should probably go back and kick the salesman square in
the ass for feeding you two lies.

First, he convinced you that Sony makes a good DVD player. False.

Second, he convinced you that -R is 'the old stuff'. This guy is clearly
clueless. I have no bond to either the -R or the +R format as I can do both,
but what he told you is just a total lie. If your player will play -R it
will most certainly play +R.

It sounds more like you're not making the discs right if it won't play them.
Have you tried your burned discs on other players?

> So what is a good "multifunction" DVD player? Someone said a $40.00 APEX

is
> better than this SONY. I don't think APEX is sold anymore. Comments?

Well, Sony is not a good player but certainly better than Apex. Panasonic is
a far better player, especially if picture quality is a concern. You won't
realize how poor a Sony looks until you A/B it with a Panasonic.

LASERandDVDfan 09-09-2003 04:22 AM

Re: HELP--DVD Player Recommendation

>Well, Sony is not a good player but certainly better than Apex. Panasonic is
>a far better player, especially if picture quality is a concern. You won't
>realize how poor a Sony looks until you A/B it with a Panasonic.

Under decent 16:9 conditions, the Sony and Panasonic players will both look
very good. The Panasonic will have an edge, though, as they don't have
problems with the chroma upsampling that many Sony players exhibit. But, the
Sonys still do not look as bad as you suggest.

Sony players do have some advantages against Panasonic. The Panasonics tend to
have too high a black level and too low a white level while Sonys tend to be
almost dead on with both, Sonys do not exhibit problems with excessive edge
enhancement (Toshiba and Pioneer are terrible in this regard), and disc reads
work faster in Sonys. (boot-up, layer transition, and chapter searches are
faster on my DVP-S360 than they are on my DVD-A110 and DVD-RV41) Panasonics,
though, has better designed disc drives, using brushless motors for the pickup
kicker and spindle. The use of a disc stabilzer top clamp in the RV41 is a
real plus.

The only time where picture quality differences between the Sony and Panasonic
would really be significant is if you are thinking of how the players handle
16:9 downconversion. The Panasonics will tend to have some jaggies, but will
look sharper. The Sonys don't have the jaggies but tend to look duller. It's
really a matter of taste, though.

Some people cannot stand the jaggies so they are content with the Sony.

Others cannot stand the duller picture, so they go with a Panasonic.

Some (like me) detest both, so they go with a set capable of 16:9 and the
argument of which is better at downconverting becomes moot.

I would say that Panasonic is better overall, but don't dis Sony. They do make
decent players. - Reinhart

FredBillie 09-09-2003 08:44 AM

Re: HELP--DVD Player Recommendation

<< From: laseranddvdfan@aol.com (LASERandDVDfan)
Date: Mon, Sep 8, 2003 11:22 PM

>Well, Sony is not a good player but certainly better than Apex. Panasonic is
>a far better player, especially if picture quality is a concern. You won't
>realize how poor a Sony looks until you A/B it with a Panasonic.

Under decent 16:9 conditions, the Sony and Panasonic players will both look
very good. The Panasonic will have an edge, though, as they don't have
problems with the chroma upsampling that many Sony players exhibit. But, the
Sonys still do not look as bad as you suggest.

Sony players do have some advantages against Panasonic. The Panasonics tend to
have too high a black level and too low a white level while Sonys tend to be
almost dead on with both, Sonys do not exhibit problems with excessive edge
enhancement (Toshiba and Pioneer are terrible in this regard), and disc reads
work faster in Sonys. (boot-up, layer transition, and chapter searches are
faster on my DVP-S360 than they are on my DVD-A110 and DVD-RV41) Panasonics,
though, has better designed disc drives, using brushless motors for the pickup
kicker and spindle. The use of a disc stabilzer top clamp in the RV41 is a
real plus.

The only time where picture quality differences between the Sony and Panasonic
would really be significant is if you are thinking of how the players handle
16:9 downconversion. The Panasonics will tend to have some jaggies, but will
look sharper. The Sonys don't have the jaggies but tend to look duller. It's
really a matter of taste, though.

Some people cannot stand the jaggies so they are content with the Sony.

Others cannot stand the duller picture, so they go with a Panasonic.

Some (like me) detest both, so they go with a set capable of 16:9 and the
argument of which is better at downconverting becomes moot.

I would say that Panasonic is better overall, but don't dis Sony. They do make
decent players. - Reinhart
>><BR><BR>

If you are considering a Panasonic recorder somewhere along the way which,
among other things can burn to DVD-Ram, you might want to consider a Panasonic
DVD player because many of Panasonic‘s regular DVD players can now play
DVD-Ram disks and that might affect your final decision. It did mine when I
bought a carousel Panasonic player to replace a CD player since I already had a
Panasonic DMR-HS2 and the Ram disks can now be played on two machines.