Velocity Reviews

-   -   "DARK CITY" VS "THE MATRIX" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t261818-dark-city-vs-the-matrix.html)

Gerrry 07-03-2003 09:29 AM

"DARK CITY" VS "THE MATRIX"

If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.

http://galeon.hispavista.com/cineram...ixdarkcity.htm

Herman McClain 07-03-2003 09:54 AM

Re: "DARK CITY" VS "THE MATRIX"

Gerrry wrote:
> If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
> real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.
>
> http://galeon.hispavista.com/cineram...ixdarkcity.htm

Man, to each his own...

Matthew Little 07-03-2003 01:20 PM

Re: "DARK CITY" VS "THE MATRIX"

So it's true. 4 out of 5 trolls do prefer "Dark City" to the "Matrix."

"Gerrry" <WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWW> wrote
in message news:3f03f6bf$0$34200$45beb828@newscene.com...

Stan Brown 07-03-2003 02:39 PM

Re: "DARK CITY" VS "THE MATRIX"

In article <3f03f6bf$0$34200$45beb828@newscene.com> in
alt.video.dvd, <"Gerrry"
<WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWW>> wrote:
>If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
>real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.

/Dark City/ was a far better movie if you're looking for thought-
provoking ideas.

I haven't seen the Matrix DVD, but the Dark City one is really
excellent, with two commentary tracks, one by director Alex Proyas
and one by Roger Ebert.

http://OakRoadSystems.com

Angry Gamer 07-03-2003 02:48 PM

Re: "DARK CITY" VS "THE MATRIX"

I'd say 4/5 movie critics and anyone with half a brain prefers DC to Matrix.

Tallulah 07-03-2003 03:17 PM

Re: "DARK CITY" VS "THE MATRIX"

Angry Gamer wrote:

>I'd say 4/5 movie critics and anyone with half a brain prefers DC to Matrix.

What a bull. DC was first, so that makes them more original. Not
necessarily better.
I think The Matrix wins on all other fronts than originallity.

Eps 07-03-2003 04:25 PM

Re: "DARK CITY" VS "THE MATRIX"

Gerrry wrote:
> If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is
> the real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.
>
> http://galeon.hispavista.com/cineram...ixdarkcity.htm

Yawn...

--
Eps

Andrew Venor 07-03-2003 04:25 PM

Re: "DARK CITY" VS "THE MATRIX"

Gerrry wrote:

> If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
> real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.
>
> http://galeon.hispavista.com/cineram...ixdarkcity.htm

Some of the resemblance is because the Wachoski brothers filmed parts of The
Matrix on some of the sets that were originally built for Dark City. Seeing
that the two films were shot one right after the other on the same sound
stages in Sydney, Australia.

ALV

TSL 07-03-2003 04:43 PM

Re: "DARK CITY" VS "THE MATRIX"

"Gerrry" <WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWW> skrev
i meddelandet news:3f03f6bf$0$34200$45beb828@newscene.com...
> If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
> real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.
>
> http://galeon.hispavista.com/cineram...ixdarkcity.htm

Dark City wasn't first. Check out the Mamoru Oshii Anime title Beuautiful
Dreamer in the Urusei Yatsura series of films made in 1984. I'll bet the
people behind Dark City was influenced by this film.

/TSL

zach 07-03-2003 05:03 PM

Re: "DARK CITY" VS "THE MATRIX"

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:<MPG.196e0a3aaa5f335f98aebf@news.odyssey.net> ...
> In article <3f03f6bf$0$34200$45beb828@newscene.com> in
> alt.video.dvd, <"Gerrry"
> <WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWW>> wrote:
> >If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
> >real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.

> /Dark City/ was a far better movie if you're looking for thought-
> provoking ideas.
>
> I haven't seen the Matrix DVD, but the Dark City one is really
> excellent, with two commentary tracks, one by director Alex Proyas
> and one by Roger Ebert.

I have it on DVD, maybe I will play them. Is it just me, or does
anyone else hate the voice over commentary tracks? Or, most of the
extra crap on DVDs anyway?