Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Where\'s Robin Hood: Men In Tights? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t261666-re-where-s-robin-hood-men-in-tights.html)

Aaron J. Bossig 06-28-2003 01:53 AM

Re: Where\'s Robin Hood: Men In Tights?

> > Of course not. But there are so many well-made DVDs (ie, The Producers)
> > to buy, I can afford to wait for an SE of Spaceballs and keep occupied in
> > the meantime.

> Okay, but I don't see that happening.

I do. It was released a while ago. DVD has become much more popular in the
meantime. I'm sure a lot of people missed the boat, and a re-release would
prompt the opening of a few wallets.

>SPACEBALLS is no STAR WARS,

Well, by the same token, it's not an obscure little flick either.

>so I
> doubt many fans are gonna demand an anamorphic transfer. Even less
> likely is the studio feeling the film deserves such a thing.

Few DVDs are non-anamorphic anymore. I'd be surprised if the studio didn't
spring for a new transfer. It's not a matter of "deserving" it, but it's a
great selling point, especially for re-releases of titles currently on DVD.

> Nice
> bonus features on the DVD -- at least rent it, you don't know what
> you're missing.

Well, it's really cheap, so if I got it into my head that I just *had* to
see the movie, I would just buy it, no question. Around the $10 mark, I
stop seeing the benefit to rental-- why not just spend a few more bucks and
own the movie, especially when I know I like it?

Like I said, there are so many well-done titles right now that I don't miss
it. As my collection expands, that may become less true over time. But
thanks for the advice. :-)

--
Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.daily-reviews.com

Max Volume 06-28-2003 06:14 AM

Re: Where\'s Robin Hood: Men In Tights?

In article <twig.1056764925.67083@news.ptd.net>, Aaron J. Bossig
<linkvb06@ptdprolog.net> wrote:

> > > Of course not. But there are so many well-made DVDs (ie, The Producers)
> > > to buy, I can afford to wait for an SE of Spaceballs and keep occupied in
> > > the meantime.

> > Okay, but I don't see that happening.

> I do. It was released a while ago. DVD has become much more popular in the
> meantime. I'm sure a lot of people missed the boat, and a re-release would
> prompt the opening of a few wallets.

Okay, you're not making sense here. First you say you're WAITING for a
Special Edition of SPACEBALLS, now you claim it's been done. I am 99%
sure that the current "Special Edition" is the only version that has
been released, and if there was a previous DVD of SPACEBALLS, that
makes it *twice* as unlikely that an anamorphic "Specialer Edition"
will ever be released. Face it, it may be Mel Brooks, but it isn't
"Birth Of A Nation" or "Citizen Kane". Next you'll be telling me you
won't buy it until the Criterion Edition comes out. I wouldn't hold
your breath for THAT one.