Velocity Reviews

-   -   Ir Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t261433-ir-photography.html)

Petr V. 08-03-2004 06:44 PM

Ir Photography

Has anyone tried or done any IR work with a digital SLR? I use the Nikon D70
and any info would be apprecited in regards to types of filters etc.
Thx

David Dyer-Bennet 08-03-2004 07:59 PM

Re: Ir Photography

"Petr V." <vodkajr@shaw.ca> writes:

> Has anyone tried or done any IR work with a digital SLR? I use the Nikon D70
> and any info would be apprecited in regards to types of filters etc.

Fuji S2 works okay with a Hoya 72R (cheapest IR filter I know of,
works pretty well). The sensitivity is rather low, a tripod is a good
idea. That detail will vary a *lot* from camera to camera.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

Steven Wandy 08-03-2004 08:20 PM

Re: Ir Photography

I wanted to try IR (Oly E-1) until I saw the price of good IR filters. You
can find some Photoshop actions that will "imitate" IR. Not sure how
accurate the look is but it was cheaper to play around with the effect.

Gisle Hannemyr 08-03-2004 09:49 PM

Re: Ir Photography

David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> writes:
> Fuji S2 works okay with a Hoya 72R (cheapest IR filter I know of,
> works pretty well). The sensitivity is rather low, a tripod is a
> good idea. That detail will vary a *lot* from camera to camera.

David, can you give me the EV (or just the aperture, shutter speed
and ISO, if EV means nothing to you) for a "typical" IR shot with
lots of foliage taken under "sunny 16" type conditons?

I am building a data base of the IR sensitivity of various digitals
(plan to publish it on the web) - and need input for different
cameras.

(I would of course like to have this data for other camera models
as well).

David Dyer-Bennet 08-04-2004 02:25 AM

Re: Ir Photography

Gisle Hannemyr <gisle+njus@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> writes:
>> Fuji S2 works okay with a Hoya 72R (cheapest IR filter I know of,
>> works pretty well). The sensitivity is rather low, a tripod is a
>> good idea. That detail will vary a *lot* from camera to camera.

> David, can you give me the EV (or just the aperture, shutter speed
> and ISO, if EV means nothing to you) for a "typical" IR shot with
> lots of foliage taken under "sunny 16" type conditons?
>
> I am building a data base of the IR sensitivity of various digitals
> (plan to publish it on the web) - and need input for different
> cameras.
>
> (I would of course like to have this data for other camera models
> as well).

I can give you some data from EXIF files for specific shots taken in
pretty much full sun. For two different cameras. Both sets were
taken using a Hoya R72 filter.

Epson 850Z:

<http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/perl/picpage/gallery/Digital%20Infrared%20October%202001?id=Ep850-20011002-036>
was exposed at ISO 100, 1/60 sec, f2.8

<http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/perl/picpage/gallery/Digital%20Infrared%20October%202001?id=Ep850-20011005-043>
was exposed at ISO 100, 1/75 sec, f2.8

Fuji S2:

<http://www.dd-b.net/perl/picpage.pl/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/2003/08260-Weird%20Tech?id=ddb%2020030826%20010-020>
was exposed at ISO 200, 1 second, at f.... Oh drat. All the infrareds
with the S2 were taken with old AIS lenses that don't report their
apertures to the camera, so I don't know the aperture. Probably f5.6
or f8 if I remember my thinking (since I had to go to a tripod anyway,
and had to make infrared focus correction manually, better to go for
some depth of field).

A couple of other examples not on display on the web were shot at ISO
400, 1/30 sec, probably the same f5.6 aperture but that's a guess/old
memory. I think it was a considerably brighter day.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

Petr 08-04-2004 05:01 AM

Re: Ir Photography

These were done using the Chroma IR Film plugin for photoshop CS> Lots of
variability and optins. If anyone wants the filter, let me know

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...dka/gdddfg.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/pvodka/IR.jpg

Petr 08-04-2004 05:04 AM

Re: Ir Photography

Sorry bout the crappy res, I had to drop it to be able to post it

Gisle Hannemyr 08-04-2004 03:50 PM

Re: Ir Photography

David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> writes:
> Gisle Hannemyr <gisle+njus@ifi.uio.no> writes:

>> David, can you give me the EV (or just the aperture, shutter speed
>> and ISO, if EV means nothing to you) for a "typical" IR shot with
>> lots of foliage taken under "sunny 16" type conditons?
>> I am building a data base of the IR sensitivity of various digitals
>> (plan to publish it on the web) - and need input for different
>> cameras.

> I can give you some data from EXIF files for specific shots taken in
> pretty much full sun. For two different cameras. Both sets were
> taken using a Hoya R72 filter.

Thanks!

I got aforementioned webpage up now - with the data from your Epson on it.
Please take look at:

http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/photo/ir.html

Not much data/many cameras yet - but with help of the good people
of this newsgroup, I'm sure that will change.

Crownfield 08-04-2004 05:57 PM

Re: Ir Photography

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

> David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> writes:
> > Gisle Hannemyr <gisle+njus@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> >> David, can you give me the EV (or just the aperture, shutter speed
> >> and ISO, if EV means nothing to you) for a "typical" IR shot with
> >> lots of foliage taken under "sunny 16" type conditons?
> >> I am building a data base of the IR sensitivity of various digitals
> >> (plan to publish it on the web) - and need input for different
> >> cameras.

> > I can give you some data from EXIF files for specific shots taken in
> > pretty much full sun. For two different cameras. Both sets were
> > taken using a Hoya R72 filter.

> Thanks!
>
> I got aforementioned webpage up now - with the data from your Epson on it.
> Please take look at:
>
> http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/photo/ir.html
>
> Not much data/many cameras yet - but with help of the good people
> of this newsgroup, I'm sure that will change.

Gisle:

specific for the S2 Pro,
if you do not cover the viewfinder eyepiece,
the light leaking through will underexpose the ir.

cover the eyepiece.

David Dyer-Bennet 08-04-2004 08:57 PM

Re: Ir Photography

Gisle Hannemyr <gisle+njus@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> writes:
>> Gisle Hannemyr <gisle+njus@ifi.uio.no> writes:

>>> David, can you give me the EV (or just the aperture, shutter speed
>>> and ISO, if EV means nothing to you) for a "typical" IR shot with
>>> lots of foliage taken under "sunny 16" type conditons?
>>> I am building a data base of the IR sensitivity of various digitals
>>> (plan to publish it on the web) - and need input for different
>>> cameras.

>> I can give you some data from EXIF files for specific shots taken in
>> pretty much full sun. For two different cameras. Both sets were
>> taken using a Hoya R72 filter.

> Thanks!
>
> I got aforementioned webpage up now - with the data from your Epson on it.
> Please take look at:
>
> http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/photo/ir.html
>
> Not much data/many cameras yet - but with help of the good people
> of this newsgroup, I'm sure that will change.

I took the S2 out and shot some more dull pictures of my house -- but
this time I recorded the aperture, so I can give you proper exposure
data. (I *do* know what EV is, but I don't think in terms of it and
don't have the conversion info in my head, so I'm just going to give
you the actual settings.)

Fuji S2, Hoya R72 filter, ISO 200, 1/4 second, f5.6. Photo is at
<http://www.dd-b.net/perl/picpage/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/2004/00000-Misc?id=ddb%2020040804%20010-007>.

Midafternoon, partly cloudy, and as you can see the house, trees, and
some of the lawn were in direct sunlight.

I played with covering and not covering the eyepiece, and couldn't see
any difference.

I find I get considerably different histograms in the R, G, and B
channels. I exposed this to optimize the red channel, and made the
B&W conversion from just the red channel. I suspect that shooting in
B&W mode on the camera makes for much *less* good results because it
combines the three channels with different renderings.

I am reminded again how much easier infrared is on a consumer digital
camera -- where I have auto-focus, auto-exposure, and live preview on
the LCD. The viewfinder is pretty much blacked out with the R72 on
the lens.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>