Velocity Reviews

-   -   Recommendation for a digital camera, UK up to £1000 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t261432-recommendation-for-a-digital-camera-uk-up-to-1000-a.html)

ChunkyMonkeyNuts 08-03-2004 06:12 PM

Recommendation for a digital camera, UK up to £1000

Hiya,

Couple of years ago I bought a Minolta DiMAGE S304, pretty much based on
this review :

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltas304/

Although generally satisfied with the performance of the camera, a couple of
areas have been a disappointment :

- Auto focus, particulary in lower light conditions (out-of-focus)
- I almost never use the flash as it causes heavy yellowing of the images
(which exacerbates the problem above)
- Long delays between shots when trying to take successive pictures
- Seemingly long delay from pressing the shutter to the image being recorded
- Slow power up
- Uncomfortable to hold and position the camera

I am now in a position to change my camera and would like something with
better all-round performance, particularly fast response times, good low
light performance, effective autofocus, good flash or facility to add-on a
quality flash unit. Preferably a camera I can live with for more than a few
years if at the upper end of the budget range.

I need the camera to be able to function effectively in fully automatic
mode, my wife needs to be able to pick it up and take photos of the kids etc
with no problems!

A bit put off by reviews of the Canon PowerShot Pro1 I have read, and
worried that the new digital SLR's (Nikon D70?) might be difficult for me to
master (can you just point and shoot?)

I live in the UK and budget is maximum £1000.

Any advice much appreciated

Chunkers

---

Sabineellen 08-03-2004 06:34 PM

=?ISO-8859-1?B?UmU6IFJlY29tbWVuZGF0aW9uIGZvciBhIGRpZ2l0YWwgY2 FtZXJhLCBVSyB1cCB0byCjMTAwMA==?=

>A bit put off by reviews of the Canon PowerShot Pro1 I have read, and
>worried that the new digital SLR's (Nikon D70?) might be difficult for me to
>master (can you just point and shoot?)
>
>I live in the UK and budget is maximum £1000.

SLR is not really hard to use. But you might be better off though using an
all-in-one.

Read about the Olympus 8080. it's fast. It meets your other critera. It's half
your budget.

kreb 08-03-2004 07:27 PM

Re: Recommendation for a digital camera, UK up to £1000

Keith said:

Read specs on the Fuji S5000. I use it (though I am in the process of
looking for a next level camera) every day, I am retired. It is used by our
grand kids on auto they seem to have no problems.

Reading reports are fine, to a point, but if you want the best advise seek
personal accounts.

Keith

"ChunkyMonkeyNuts" <ChunkyMonkeyNuts@dont.spam.pepper2.karoo.co.uk> wrote in
message news:nvOcnbYi3YgBSJLcSa8jmA@karoo.co.uk...

Arty Phacting 08-03-2004 07:31 PM

Re: Recommendation for a digital camera, UK up to £1000

can it do this
news:5a635d65.0408030849.686775ed@posting.google.c om...

or this

http://img.photosight.ru/2004/07/30/567901.jpg

If it can = rest easy

Artys

Charles Schuler 08-03-2004 08:21 PM

Re: Recommendation for a digital camera, UK up to £1000

> I am now in a position to change my camera and would like something with
> better all-round performance, particularly fast response times, good low
> light performance, effective autofocus, good flash or facility to add-on a
> quality flash unit. Preferably a camera I can live with for more than a

few
> years if at the upper end of the budget range.

The Canon 300D meets these.

> I need the camera to be able to function effectively in fully automatic
> mode, my wife needs to be able to pick it up and take photos of the kids

etc
> with no problems!

The 300D provides several auto modes and its P mode only requires a little
effort to learn. The P mode is flexible and greatly expands the camera's
usefulness.

> A bit put off by reviews of the Canon PowerShot Pro1 I have read, and
> worried that the new digital SLR's (Nikon D70?) might be difficult for me

> master (can you just point and shoot?)

Yes, you can just point and shoot with the D70 and the 300D. The advantage
of the 300D is price and the advantage of the D70 is more advanced features.

ChunkyMonkeyNuts 08-03-2004 09:08 PM

Re: Recommendation for a digital camera, UK up to £1000

> Any advice much appreciated

Thanks to all the posters, definitely some sage advice here and has been a
big help. I will look into your suggestions, probably try and get some
'hands-on' at a shop before I buy.

Cheers!

Chunkers

---

Your-nice 08-03-2004 10:01 PM

Re: Recommendation for a digital camera, UK up to £1000

The 300D, its by far the easiest digi cam i have had the pleasure to
use, a fair price too but shop around as prices vary by as much as £200 in
the uk,i bought it as a 300 Rebel ( usa model ) just £650 inc lens and the
battery last for ages .well worth a look.
Rob.

PhAnTOmaS 08-03-2004 11:22 PM

Re: Recommendation for a digital camera, UK up to £1000

fuji s7000 much much better

news:eGRPc.17995$Jq2.792183@news20.bellglobal.com. ..

Sabineellen 08-04-2004 12:02 AM

=?ISO-8859-1?B?UmU6IFJlY29tbWVuZGF0aW9uIGZvciBhIGRpZ2l0YWwgY2 FtZXJhLCBVSyB1cCB0byCjMTAwMA==?=

>fuji s7000 much much better

Nahhh...

To the OP, consider the Casio exilim 600

"The EX-P600 is ready to go within two seconds of pressing the power button and
can capture the action at a blazing 3 frames per second. The shutter lag time
is an amazing 0.01 seconds from auto focus lock. "

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/exp600.html

Apteryx 08-04-2004 12:48 AM

Re: Recommendation for a digital camera, UK up to £1000

"ChunkyMonkeyNuts" <ChunkyMonkeyNuts@dont.spam.pepper2.karoo.co.uk>
wrote in message news:nvOcnbYi3YgBSJLcSa8jmA@karoo.co.uk...

> A bit put off by reviews of the Canon PowerShot Pro1 I have read, and
> worried that the new digital SLR's (Nikon D70?) might be difficult for

me to
> master (can you just point and shoot?)

Yes, you can just set it to Auto and p&s until you are comfortable using
other functions.

--
Apteryx
Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.