Velocity Reviews

-   -   Digital Camera Recommendation please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t261136-digital-camera-recommendation-please.html)

S Doughty 07-29-2004 01:42 AM

Digital Camera Recommendation please

Hi all,

OK, I've spent 5 hours at CNet, DPreview, Amazon, and more and am now
offically brain dead. Maybe you guys can help me. I am looking for a
digital with the following specs, listed by importance:

Very Important:
-Compact
-Excellent print quality (does this always correspond with resolution?
Or are there other factors?)
-Simple and easy to use, I don't want to mess with a bunch of
modes/options to get good pics

Nice to have:
-Easy to interface with WinXP, both software and hardware-wise
-Decent battery life
-Minimal delay before picture taken
-Small charger (need something travel friendly)

Doesn't matter:
-Movie ability, zoom, other bells and whistles
-Price

Anyone have any advice?

TIA,

Shauna

David J. Littleboy 07-29-2004 02:03 AM

Re: Digital Camera Recommendation please

"S Doughty" <shauna_doughty@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> OK, I've spent 5 hours at CNet, DPreview, Amazon, and more and am now
> offically brain dead. Maybe you guys can help me. I am looking for a
> digital with the following specs, listed by importance:

300D. If money isn't a problem, get the 17-40/4.0 instead of the kit lens.
The Tamron 28-75/2.8 gets great reviews as an addition to either the kit or
17-40.

Other than the compact bit, it's everything you want. And it's quite compact
for a dSLR.

> Very Important:
> -Compact

The 300D + 17-40 + 50/1.4 fit in my briefcase just fine. Well, with a bit of
a bulge.

> -Excellent print quality (does this always correspond with resolution?

No. Noise matters too. Compact cameras have the same noise at ISO 50 as the
300D has at ISO 400.

> Or are there other factors?)
> -Simple and easy to use, I don't want to mess with a bunch of
> modes/options to get good pics

Set the 300D to P mode and go.

> Nice to have:
> -Easy to interface with WinXP, both software and hardware-wise

The 300D works so well with XP I haven't bothered to use my card reader yet,
even though it's quite slow.

> -Decent battery life

Great battery life.

> -Minimal delay before picture taken

The consumer cameras all have hideous AF and shutter lag delays. If you buy
a consumer camera and then move up to the 300D, you'll think you've died and
gone to heaven. If you have kids, don't even think about a consumer dcam.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Sabineellen 07-29-2004 02:46 AM

Re: Digital Camera Recommendation please

>Very Important:
>-Compact
>-Excellent print quality (does this always correspond with resolution?
>Or are there other factors?)

Yes. Quite a few.

>-Simple and easy to use, I don't want to mess with a bunch of
>modes/options to get good pics

http://www.operationgadget.com/2004/...ima_digit.html

I suggest you choose one of these. The Casio QV-R51 should be a good choice for
you. Very compact, 5mp, DIMA winning image quality, very easy to use, AA
batteries and therefore travel friendly and decent battery life (use 2300mah
NIMH).

Carol 07-29-2004 03:25 AM

Re: Digital Camera Recommendation please

Exilim S3 !!!!!

news:42c47140.0407281742.546835e8@posting.google.c om...

Don R 07-30-2004 01:54 AM

Re: Digital Camera Recommendation please

You are just going to get more confused, I am afraid. Look at the new
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC70. Incredible little camera. Fits in your pocket, no
problem. Steve's reviews were outstanding for this camera, and I agree. I
bought 2, one for my daughter, but may sell one, as she insists on an SLR.
But definitely keeping mine as a travel camera to go with my SLR.

Sabineellen 07-30-2004 02:36 AM

Re: Digital Camera Recommendation please

> Look at the new
>Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC70.

isn't it quite expensive for what it does?

S Doughty 07-30-2004 06:28 AM

Re: Digital Camera Recommendation please

Thanks for your input everyone!

Shauna

Don R 07-31-2004 03:09 AM

Re: Digital Camera Recommendation please

Roughly $200. Great price for a 4 mp camera.

Steven M. Scharf 07-31-2004 04:09 AM

Re: Digital Camera Recommendation please

"S Doughty" <shauna_doughty@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:42c47140.0407281742.546835e8@posting.google.c om...

> Anyone have any advice?

Two pieces of advice:

Check http://dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php ,

Use the following search criteria: 5+ megapixel, Compact Flash, Proprietary
Battery, AF-Assist Lamp (extremely important!), and "Recent Model."

Of these results, you narrow it down based on the type of camera you want:

Ultracompact: Canon S500
Sub-Compact: Canon S60
Compact: Canon G5
SLR "Like": Olympus C-8080
Amateur SLR: Canon EOS-300D or Nikon D70
Prosumer SLR: Canon EOS-10D or Nikon D100

Also see: http://digitalcamerashortlist.com, which is my site.

I like the dcresourse.com page because it lets you include the crucial
AF-Assist Lamp in the search criteria. Do not select a digital camera that
lacks this feature--you will regret it. Compact Flash is the preferred
storage method, and is widely available on everything except some of the
very small cameras. Proprietary Li-Ion batteries are a better choice than
the AA NiMH batteries, but nearly every high-end camera will include Li-Ion
batteries and charger.