Velocity Reviews

-   -   Olympus C-700 Service Manual or Schematic? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t260876-olympus-c-700-service-manual-or-schematic.html)

Fred 07-24-2004 06:02 PM

Olympus C-700 Service Manual or Schematic?

Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)

Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
schematic.

I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it with
your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service or
parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they said
they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).

I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and FIXED
it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
problem with this model.

NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
isolated the problem to the camera itself.

I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
more picture, maybe not.

I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact points
are all good & clean. No change in performance.

Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act the
same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the camera,
I know that for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Fred

Ken Weitzel 07-24-2004 07:23 PM

Re: Olympus C-700 Service Manual or Schematic?

Fred wrote:

> Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
> don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
>
> Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
> schematic.
>
> I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
> anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it with
> your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service or
> parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they said
> they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).

Hi...

I can't tell where you are; but I *think* verizon is the
southern USA.

If you'll send me an email I'll send you back the name of
a fellow in california usa who does good and inexpensive
work. And is an Olympus repair depot.

Ken

Jack-of-the-Dust 07-24-2004 09:31 PM

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
> don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
>
> Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
> schematic.
>
> I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
> anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it

with
> your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service

or
> parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they

said
> they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).
>
> I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and

FIXED
> it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
> problem with this model.
>
> NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
> isolated the problem to the camera itself.
>
> I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> more picture, maybe not.
>
> I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact

points
> are all good & clean. No change in performance.
>
> Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act

the
> same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the

camera,
> I know that for sure.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

Have you changed memory cards? Some Fuji have battery drain over night due
to a cap on the CF card.

Joseph Meehan 07-24-2004 10:53 PM

Fred wrote:
> Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this?
> (Please... don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd
> party.)

Are you sure you really wanted to post this to rec.photo.equipment.35mm?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

kosh 07-25-2004 05:17 AM

Re: Olympus C-700 Service Manual or Schematic?

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
> don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
>
> Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
> schematic.
>
> I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
> anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it

with
> your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service

or
> parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they

said
> they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).
>
> I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and

FIXED
> it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
> problem with this model.
>
> NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
> isolated the problem to the camera itself.
>
> I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
> ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
> circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
> charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
> open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
> more picture, maybe not.
>
> I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
> contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact

points
> are all good & clean. No change in performance.
>
> Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act

the
> same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the

camera,
> I know that for sure.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

I have also heard this short from the power supply is a problem. I also herd
the clamshell design (mju in Aus) had the door taken from the film version
of the camera. The door saw use every 15 or so rolls, now it does for
everytime you download images or recharge your batttery.
While the design was excellent for film cameras... apparently it does not
put up with the wear and tear required from the digi version.

Just what I heard..... from a tech.

kosh

Fred 07-25-2004 06:08 AM

"Jack-of-the-Dust" <WillieWhizBang@cod.org> wrote in message

> Have you changed memory cards? Some Fuji have battery drain over night due
> to a cap on the CF card.

No, I haven't. Only used the same one. I'm wondering though if that would
help. The batteries are OK -- they don't drain. The camera just doesn't
see that they are fully charged, and the problem occurs right away, when new
batteries are first installed.

Fred 07-25-2004 06:10 AM

Re: Olympus C-700 Service Manual or Schematic?

Thanks, will check it out.
Fred

John Hermanson 07-27-2004 01:02 PM

Re: Olympus C-700 Service Manual or Schematic?

That's right. Another case study! The C50 is a little beauty. But the
metal pins of the sliding cover ride in a plastic track. After average to
heavy use, the pins cut through the track, the door jams or falls off.
_________________________________
John Hermanson
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
21 South Lane,
Huntington, NY, 11743-4714,
631-424-2121, www.zuiko.com
_________________________________

John Hermanson 07-27-2004 01:06 PM

Re: Olympus C-700 Service Manual or Schematic?

Digital service is a common problem as most if not all Japanese camera
manufacturers decided (in unison?) that they would simply refuse to sell
digital camera service manuals to independent repair shops or end users.
_________________________________
John Hermanson
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
21 South Lane,
Huntington, NY, 11743-4714,
631-424-2121, www.zuiko.com

Fred 07-31-2004 06:03 PM

Re: Olympus C-700 Service Manual or Schematic?

Thanks for the contact, Ken. He replied but doesn't work on Olympus C-700
or know any referrals or documentation. Very good contact for future
though. Thanks again!!