Velocity Reviews

-   -   Configuring for IMAP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t26085-configuring-for-imap.html)

SteveG 12-07-2005 09:06 PM

Configuring for IMAP

I've been a TB user for some time and love it to bits ... wish I could
say the same for my ISP. For the past 4 days there have been virtually
continuous problems accessing email via the POP server but I just found
out that their IMAP servers are unaffected.

How do I change TB to use IMAP instead of POP? I can't see anywhere to
tell TB what type of server it is although it appears to know that my
current settings are POP.

Any help much appreciated.

--
Regards

Steve G

Leonidas Jones 12-07-2005 09:27 PM

Re: Configuring for IMAP

SteveG wrote:
> I've been a TB user for some time and love it to bits ... wish I could
> say the same for my ISP. For the past 4 days there have been virtually
> continuous problems accessing email via the POP server but I just found
> out that their IMAP servers are unaffected.
>
> How do I change TB to use IMAP instead of POP? I can't see anywhere to
> tell TB what type of server it is although it appears to know that my
> current settings are POP.
>
> Any help much appreciated.

Delete the account. Set it up again. This time, in the account wizard,
select imap rather then pop.

Lee

SteveG 12-07-2005 09:29 PM

Re: Configuring for IMAP

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> SteveG wrote:
>
>> I've been a TB user for some time and love it to bits ... wish I could
>> say the same for my ISP. For the past 4 days there have been virtually
>> continuous problems accessing email via the POP server but I just
>> found out that their IMAP servers are unaffected.
>>
>> How do I change TB to use IMAP instead of POP? I can't see anywhere to
>> tell TB what type of server it is although it appears to know that my
>> current settings are POP.
>>
>> Any help much appreciated.
>>

> Delete the account. Set it up again. This time, in the account wizard,
> select imap rather then pop.
>
> Lee

Thanks for the prompt response Leo. Will I lose access to all my
existing emails if I delete the account?

--
Regards

Steve G

Leonidas Jones 12-07-2005 11:40 PM

Re: Configuring for IMAP

SteveG wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> SteveG wrote:
>>
>>> I've been a TB user for some time and love it to bits ... wish I
>>> could say the same for my ISP. For the past 4 days there have been
>>> virtually continuous problems accessing email via the POP server but
>>> I just found out that their IMAP servers are unaffected.
>>>
>>> How do I change TB to use IMAP instead of POP? I can't see anywhere
>>> to tell TB what type of server it is although it appears to know that
>>> my current settings are POP.
>>>
>>> Any help much appreciated.
>>>

>> Delete the account. Set it up again. This time, in the account
>> wizard, select imap rather then pop.
>>
>> Lee

> Thanks for the prompt response Leo. Will I lose access to all my
> existing emails if I delete the account?

If its really an imap account, the messages are all stored on the server.

Maybe we should back up. Is this an imap account that you inadvertently
set up as a pop account?

Lee

gwtc 12-08-2005 01:33 AM

Re: Configuring for IMAP

SteveG wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>>SteveG wrote:
>>

>>>I've been a TB user for some time and love it to bits ... wish I could
>>>say the same for my ISP. For the past 4 days there have been virtually
>>>continuous problems accessing email via the POP server but I just
>>>found out that their IMAP servers are unaffected.
>>>
>>>How do I change TB to use IMAP instead of POP? I can't see anywhere to
>>>tell TB what type of server it is although it appears to know that my
>>>current settings are POP.
>>>
>>>Any help much appreciated.
>>>

>>Delete the account. Set it up again. This time, in the account wizard,
>>select imap rather then pop.
>>
>>Lee

> Thanks for the prompt response Leo. Will I lose access to all my
> existing emails if I delete the account?

Then move all the messages to your local folders.

SteveG 12-08-2005 08:44 PM

Re: Configuring for IMAP

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> SteveG wrote:

>>> Delete the account. Set it up again. This time, in the account
>>> wizard, select imap rather then pop.
>>>
>>> Lee

>> Thanks for the prompt response Leo. Will I lose access to all my
>> existing emails if I delete the account?
>>

> If its really an imap account, the messages are all stored on the server.
>
> Maybe we should back up. Is this an imap account that you inadvertently
> set up as a pop account?
>
> Lee

Lee, I'll try to clarify my situation. I have an existing POP account
set up in TB - been using it for years - but my ISP is having BIG
problems with their POP servers which have effectively left me (and
several thousand other customers) without email access for about a week.
They, the ISP, tell me their IMAP servers are not affected by whatever
ails them and I should be able to get my emails that way.

If I do as you suggest - delete my existing account in TB and set up a
new one using IMAP instead of POP - will I still be able to see and
access the emails that I have already downloaded onto my hard drive via
the POP account?

If not then I'll just have to grin and bear it whilst blueyonder (oops,
did I inadvertently mention my ISP's name there?) get their problems sorted.

--
Regards

Steve G

SteveG 12-08-2005 08:49 PM

Re: Configuring for IMAP

gwtc wrote:
> SteveG wrote:

>>> Delete the account. Set it up again. This time, in the account
>>> wizard, select imap rather then pop.
>>>
>>> Lee

>> Thanks for the prompt response Leo. Will I lose access to all my
>> existing emails if I delete the account?
>>

> Then move all the messages to your local folders.

Okay, I can see how that would work. Thanks gwtc.

--
Regards

Steve G

Leonidas Jones 12-08-2005 11:47 PM

Re: Configuring for IMAP

SteveG wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> SteveG wrote:

>>> Thanks for the prompt response Leo. Will I lose access to all my
>>> existing emails if I delete the account?
>>>

>> If its really an imap account, the messages are all stored on the server.
>>
>> Maybe we should back up. Is this an imap account that you
>> inadvertently set up as a pop account?
>>
>> Lee

> Lee, I'll try to clarify my situation. I have an existing POP account
> set up in TB - been using it for years - but my ISP is having BIG
> problems with their POP servers which have effectively left me (and
> several thousand other customers) without email access for about a week.
> They, the ISP, tell me their IMAP servers are not affected by whatever
> ails them and I should be able to get my emails that way.
>
> If I do as you suggest - delete my existing account in TB and set up a
> new one using IMAP instead of POP - will I still be able to see and
> access the emails that I have already downloaded onto my hard drive via
> the POP account?
>
> If not then I'll just have to grin and bear it whilst blueyonder (oops,
> did I inadvertently mention my ISP's name there?) get their problems
> sorted.

Okay, thank you for the clarification. gwtc's workaround will work to
store the mails.

Have you tried just setting up the imap account, leaving the pop account
as it is? TB will not allow two pop accounts to be set up with the same
name, but maybe a pop and an imap account can. Try it, the worst that
can happen would be the wizard will refuse to set up the account. If it
works, read no further.

You could also archive the mail from your profile, and restore them.

When you remove an account from TB, the folder associated with it is not
removed, making all the contents recoverable. The folder, in the mail
subfolder of your profile, will be named for your pop server, probably:

pop3.blueyonder.co.uk

or some such.

The new account would be housed in another subfolder, called ImapMail.

You could copy the Inbox (no extension) file from the old pop account,
rename it PopInbox, and paste it into your imap account's folder. That
should result in a new folder called Popinbox in your new accounts tree.
Note, I have pasted many mail files from one pop account into another,
but never a pop into an imap. it ought to work, though. Or you could
paste it into the Local Folders folder in the Mail folder, and it would
appear there. This I can guarantee.

If you have a great deal of mail to be moved, this would be easier then
what gwtc suggests. If you have only a small number of messages to
move, gwtc's version is better, and, in both cases safer.

Note, before doing any manual edits in the profile, make sure TB is
completely closed, and backup the entire profile folder before
beginning, so you can always return to square one if it goes awry.

Lee

SteveG 12-09-2005 07:52 PM

Re: Configuring for IMAP

Leonidas Jones wrote:
snip

>> Lee, I'll try to clarify my situation. I have an existing POP account
>> set up in TB - been using it for years - but my ISP is having BIG
>> problems with their POP servers which have effectively left me (and
>> several thousand other customers) without email access for about a
>> week. They, the ISP, tell me their IMAP servers are not affected by
>> whatever ails them and I should be able to get my emails that way.
>>
>> If I do as you suggest - delete my existing account in TB and set up a
>> new one using IMAP instead of POP - will I still be able to see and
>> access the emails that I have already downloaded onto my hard drive
>> via the POP account?
>>
>> If not then I'll just have to grin and bear it whilst blueyonder
>> (oops, did I inadvertently mention my ISP's name there?) get their
>> problems sorted.
>>

> Okay, thank you for the clarification. gwtc's workaround will work to
> store the mails.
>
> Have you tried just setting up the imap account, leaving the pop account
> as it is? TB will not allow two pop accounts to be set up with the same
> name, but maybe a pop and an imap account can. Try it, the worst that
> can happen would be the wizard will refuse to set up the account. If it
> works, read no further.
>
> You could also archive the mail from your profile, and restore them.
>
> When you remove an account from TB, the folder associated with it is not
> removed, making all the contents recoverable. The folder, in the mail
> subfolder of your profile, will be named for your pop server, probably:
>
> pop3.blueyonder.co.uk
>
> or some such.
>
> The new account would be housed in another subfolder, called ImapMail.
>
> You could copy the Inbox (no extension) file from the old pop account,
> rename it PopInbox, and paste it into your imap account's folder. That
> should result in a new folder called Popinbox in your new accounts tree.
> Note, I have pasted many mail files from one pop account into another,
> but never a pop into an imap. it ought to work, though. Or you could
> paste it into the Local Folders folder in the Mail folder, and it would
> appear there. This I can guarantee.
>
> If you have a great deal of mail to be moved, this would be easier then
> what gwtc suggests. If you have only a small number of messages to
> move, gwtc's version is better, and, in both cases safer.
>
> Note, before doing any manual edits in the profile, make sure TB is
> completely closed, and backup the entire profile folder before
> beginning, so you can always return to square one if it goes awry.
>
> Lee

Thanks Lee. I think I'll try setting up an IMAP account via the wizard
and see what happens ... after backing up all my pop stuff first, of course.

--
Regards

Steve G