Velocity Reviews

-   -   Help Please... got a free connection and not enough knowledge (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t26021-help-please-got-a-free-connection-and-not-enough-knowledge.html)

=?Utf-8?B?VHJ1ZXJhcml0eQ==?= 12-05-2005 02:29 PM

Help Please... got a free connection and not enough knowledge

I purchased a new laptop 15 months ago, so naturally it is really old and
outdated now. My sister just bought a new one last month. Didn't take us
long to discover that a neighbor (we live in a townhome) was kind enough to
not secure their wireless network. My sister has been online using our
neighbors wireless network for weeks now.

My ancient laptop doesn't have built in wireless. It has the PCMIA...
whatever that's called ...

My question is this... what do I need to purchase to make my laptop connect
to the floating (and free) wireless signal... and

How can I set it up if I don't know the specifics (network name, any
password) etc.?
that was progammed into the host computer? and

Will I be able to use hotel wireless and "Hotspots" like airports, etc. with
whatever wireless stuff I add?

I know zero about this stuff so, anyone kind enough to answer this post,
please use elementary communication.

Thanks,--
Kara

=?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?= 12-05-2005 04:51 PM

RE: Help Please... got a free connection and not enough knowledge

You need to purchase a PCMCIA (PCCARD) wireless card for your laptop. You
can also buy one that plugs into the USB port. Make sure your laptop has USB
(it should, it's not *that* old). Any electronics store should have them.
Major brands are D-Link and NetGear.

Connecting to the 'free' network should be easy - the same way your sister
connected. They're probably broadcasting the SSID and it obviously doesn't
need a password because your sister connects OK.

Yes, you can then connect to other networks.

MD

=?Utf-8?B?VHJ1ZXJhcml0eQ==?= 12-05-2005 05:45 PM

RE: Help Please... got a free connection and not enough knowledge

Thank you...

Kara

ato_zee@hotmail.com 12-05-2005 08:24 PM

On 5-Dec-2005, =?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?= <MadDog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> You
> can also buy one that plugs into the USB port. Make sure your laptop has USB
> (it should, it's not *that* old). Any electronics store should have them.
> Major brands are D-Link and NetGear.

In this situation USB adapters work ok, you can position them on an extension
to pick up the best signal. I got a new USB adapter on eBay for 9.99UKPDS
post paid. The unsecured network seems to be unused, I presume
it's a case of "Dad, I need a PC for my schoolwork." so they got
one, with a broadband package, from PC World, or whatever, and have
now lost interest in it.
NOTE riding on someone elses insecure broadband isn't, by definition,
secure. So they can read all your traffic, and identify who you are, from
usernames and passwords. Worst case, learn enough to access online
banking information, even though it's encrypted. So it is probably
best to still use dialup for emails, banking etc, and use the hijacked
broadband for surfing, P2P (Peer to Peer) downloads, etc.
Anyone with an unsecured network is unlikely to realise they
are being hijacked unless they get a bill or shirty email from their
ISP about exceeding their download limits, so it's a good idea
to use a bandwidth monitor, preferably one that raises an alarm
if you exceed a preset limit, say 250GB/month.

Bill Whipple 12-06-2005 01:58 AM

Re: Help Please... got a free connection and not enough knowledge

A note of caution: Be wary of "Free" connections - not all are safe. Some
are set up as deliberate traps for the unwary.

I know of more than one person who was "piggybacking" on an unsecured
wireless network connection and shortly thereafter had their identities
stolen or the bank account emptied.

Be aware that it is VERY easy to set up an unsecured wireless network and
record every bit of traffic that goes through it, including IDs and
Passwords. Using freely-downloadable Linux it can be set up in minutes with
no special software at all.

--
WLW

Ryan Younger 12-06-2005 11:46 AM

Re: Help Please... got a free connection and not enough knowledge

Does your neighbour know you are using their connection? I would be very
careful of these situations, if your neighbour has not given you permission
and gets wind of these activities there may be legal ramifications.

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
Networking Weblog

ryan_younger@hotmail.co.uk

=?Utf-8?B?VHJ1ZXJhcml0eQ==?= 12-06-2005 10:09 PM

Re: Help Please... got a free connection and not enough knowledge

Would they be able to know and, if so, how could they find out this if they
don't know enough about computers to even secure it in the first place?

This really shines a bright light on several previous responses about this
signal being unsecured intentionally.

Perhaps I just pay for a cable connection.

Thanks to all who answered.
--
Kara

ato_zee@hotmail.com 12-06-2005 11:41 PM

Re: Help Please... got a free connection and not enough knowledge

On 6-Dec-2005, "=?Utf-8?B?VHJ1ZXJhcml0eQ==?=" <Truerarity@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Would they be able to know and, if so, how could they find out this if they
> don't know enough about computers to even secure it in the first place?

There is packet monitoring software, and with an insecure network the
captured packets show things like login name, passwords, and most
other things you do when accessing the network, such as the websites
you visit, what you download, and enough to identify who you are.
Because it is insecure, anyone with a wireless enabled laptop can
do the same, it may not be the person who is paying for the connection,
it may be a total stranger.
So if you share, or hijack, a nearby insecure connection there is no
easy way to know if everything you do is being evesdropped by a stranger.
The guy with the insecure network is only a minor worry if he is
not competent enough to secure it.

=?Utf-8?B?VHJ1ZXJhcml0eQ==?= 12-06-2005 11:53 PM

Re: Help Please... got a free connection and not enough knowledge

Thank you for answering..

Do you know what happens in hotels and hotspot, etc.

For example.... Budda checks into a motel and uses their wireless to pay his
bills or check his company email. Can others using the same wireless system
see what he is doing? If so, why do people want wireless everywhere?

--
Kara

Dave 12-07-2005 12:30 AM

Re: Help Please... got a free connection and not enough knowledge

that is why those who know use secure web sites and vpn's to their company
to encrypt traffic in hotels or on any unknown network. most banking sites
are already encrypted, the big problems are things like logging in to your
isp's pop3 server that takes a plain text password or visiting your favorite
porn site that doesn't encrypt the login.