Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sigma lenses (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t260010-sigma-lenses.html)

Charlie Self 07-11-2004 05:51 PM

Sigma lenses

I'm curious about a couple of Sigma lenses, as I've just gotten a Pentax *ist
and have found a macro 50mm and 100mm that seem like they might work well.

Part of the info need hasn't a thing to do with lens brand: how much closer
will things seem with that 100mm 1.4' focusing distance with the Pentax sensor
size? I've been using a 100mm on my old Minolta SLR for years and like it
better than I do a 50mm. With the 1.5 (if memory serves) crop (or reduction)
factor, it is starting to seem a touch long.

Has anyone used one, or both, these lenses, digital or 35mm?

Charlie Self
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or
not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Zebedee 07-11-2004 07:44 PM

Re: Sigma lenses

"Charlie Self" <charliediy@aol.comnotforme> wrote in message
> I'm curious about a couple of Sigma lenses, as I've just gotten a Pentax

*ist
> and have found a macro 50mm and 100mm that seem like they might work well.
>
> Part of the info need hasn't a thing to do with lens brand: how much

closer
> will things seem with that 100mm 1.4' focusing distance with the Pentax

sensor
> size? I've been using a 100mm on my old Minolta SLR for years and like it
> better than I do a 50mm. With the 1.5 (if memory serves) crop (or

reduction)
> factor, it is starting to seem a touch long.
>
> Has anyone used one, or both, these lenses, digital or 35mm?

Sigma lenses range from very good to very bad. I had a very good Sigma 600
miror lens. I have seen some very bad 35-70 Sigma zoom lenses.

It seems that with Sigma, quality is unpredictable.

--
Yours

Zebedee

(Claiming asylum in an attempt
to escape paying his debts to
Dougal and Florence)

Charles Schuler 07-11-2004 07:58 PM

Re: Sigma lenses

"Charlie Self" <charliediy@aol.comnotforme> wrote in message
> I'm curious about a couple of Sigma lenses, as I've just gotten a Pentax

*ist
> and have found a macro 50mm and 100mm that seem like they might work well.
>
> Part of the info need hasn't a thing to do with lens brand: how much

closer
> will things seem with that 100mm 1.4' focusing distance with the Pentax

sensor
> size? I've been using a 100mm on my old Minolta SLR for years and like it
> better than I do a 50mm. With the 1.5 (if memory serves) crop (or

reduction)
> factor, it is starting to seem a touch long.
>
> Has anyone used one, or both, these lenses, digital or 35mm?

Hi Charlie. Are you referring to the Sigma 105 1:2.8? I have one and like
it a lot.

Chuck