Velocity Reviews

-   -   File and Print Sharing via Linksys WRT54G router -- not working (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t26001-file-and-print-sharing-via-linksys-wrt54g-router-not-working.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uIFNtaXRo?= 12-04-2005 06:02 PM

File and Print Sharing via Linksys WRT54G router -- not working

I have several problems.

1. I bought a computer, actually 2, and a Linksys WRT54G router for my
father-in-law in WI. I went there and set him up over Thanksgiving. I had
Print Sharing working, but in the process of trying to get access to the
Dial-up link to work from the notebook, through the router via ICS, I broke
the Print Sharing, and could not get it working again before I had to return
home in TX.

2. While in WI, I tried using my wifes laptop to get to the network through
my father-in-law's new computer and router, and I couldn't get that to work
either. Now I am back home in TX, and I find out I have now broke the
networking setup on her computer. I got the Internet connection back, but
still can't get Print Sharing working again.

3. So now, I have 2 networks (computer with dial-up modem, router, notebook
in WI and computer with cable modem, router, laptop in TX) that are not
working. I have Norton Internet Security running on 3 of the systems and
Norton antivirus on my wife's laptop, also mucking up the works. Could you
give me some advice/help/education on what where to read about setting up
home networks. Something rather detailed, because the normal stuff in Help
and Suppoort is not working, and something that would give me enough
knowledge to troubleshoot my father-in-laws system. I must have run the
Network Setup Wizard a dozen times, with no luck.

And of course, if you have suggestions, that would also be appreciated. I
want to get my system running first and then my father-in-laws. Anybody know
much about remote assistance -- is that something I could use to help get my
father-in-laws system working again -- if I can figure this stuff out and get
my network working. Sorry for the long post.

--
Ron Smith in Round Rock

Quaoar 12-04-2005 07:05 PM

Re: File and Print Sharing via Linksys WRT54G router -- not working

Ron Smith wrote:
> I have several problems.

Start here:

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm

Jack 12-04-2005 10:41 PM

Re: File and Print Sharing via Linksys WRT54G router -- not working

Hi

Dialup works only directly with a phone line.

If the connection is a Dialup connection, these are your options.

http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html

For Cable or DSL connection, each computer needs a Network card (Wired or
Wireless) and they are connecting to the Router that is connected to a
Cable, or DSL Internet connection.

Otherwise, if you do have Cable or DSL Connection, the system should look
like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

This might help in installation and this for sharing.

http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uIFNtaXRo?= 12-05-2005 03:59 AM

Re: File and Print Sharing via Linksys WRT54G router -- not workin

Thanks for the help and pointers. These links contained much better
information than I had been finding/reading. I think I got my Printers back
on the Laptop -- it seems to be a firewall problem (surprise, surprise --
I'll bet well over 50% of the problems are firewall / anti-virus related
problems).

I have Norton Internet Security running on my desktop (Windows firewall
disabled)and Norton anti-virus running on the laptop (Windows Firewell
enabled). I don't know why things were working before I left town, and NOT
when I returned -- except for maybe one thing.

The evening before I left town 2 week ago, Norton updated my NIS software,
and my email stopped working (that has never happened before -- I think they
really blew it). Anyway, to get email working again, AT THEIR SUGGESTION, I
had to reset all my firewall rules back to their default -- and then the
email started working. It was 2 AM in the morning and I didn't bother to
check the operation of the Laptop (had a 5 AM flight to catch). So it is
possible that is what blew me out of the water and screwed up my network
(darn those Norton guys -- what were they thinking with that update).

I now have just one more network access problem, and I think I will post
another question on it since it is no longer a Printer Sharing problem.

Thanks for the help on this one.
--
Ron Smith in Round Rock

ya never know.. 06-11-2007 07:41 PM

Your main problem, in my opinion is NORTON. II've talked to a lot of others about Norton, and a lot of people around here don't like it. If you disable it, you'd be a lot better off. I run AVG Free and haven't had any problems. I run ZoneAlarm as my firewall.