Velocity Reviews

-   -   Overflow Hidden not hiding in IE (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t259607-overflow-hidden-not-hiding-in-ie.html)

bryanrite@gmail.com 05-08-2006 03:45 PM

Overflow Hidden not hiding in IE

I'm trying to set up a page with a static block on the left and
variable on the right, it works as expected, but when i add an image,
or google ad, in firefox it behaves as expected, but IE drops the div.
Anyone have any ideas?

http://footstops.dev01.alkaloid.net/test.php

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 05-08-2006 03:53 PM

Re: Overflow Hidden not hiding in IE

bryanrite@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a page with a static block on the left and
> variable on the right, it works as expected, but when i add an image,
> or google ad, in firefox it behaves as expected, but IE drops the
> div. Anyone have any ideas?
>
> http://footstops.dev01.alkaloid.net/test.php

It may have to do with the fact that your CSS is setting the margin-left
to 360px, then immediately resetting it to zero.

margin-left: 360px;
border: 1px dashed red;
padding: 0;
margin: 0;

"margin" is for all four sides.

[Google ads are blocked by my HOSTS file...]

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

ironcorona 05-08-2006 04:07 PM

bryanrite@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a page with a static block on the left and
> variable on the right, it works as expected, but when i add an image,
> or google ad, in firefox it behaves as expected, but IE drops the div.
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> http://footstops.dev01.alkaloid.net/test.php
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Didn't I already solve this problem for you over at
alt.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets

--
Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)

ironcorona 05-08-2006 04:10 PM

ironcorona wrote:
> bryanrite@gmail.com wrote:
>> I'm trying to set up a page with a static block on the left and
>> variable on the right, it works as expected, but when i add an image,
>> or google ad, in firefox it behaves as expected, but IE drops the div.
>> Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>> http://footstops.dev01.alkaloid.net/test.php
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

> Didn't I already solve this problem for you over at
> alt.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets

I hope you're not click farming

--
Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)

ironcorona 05-08-2006 04:13 PM

ironcorona wrote:
> bryanrite@gmail.com wrote:
>> I'm trying to set up a page with a static block on the left and
>> variable on the right, it works as expected, but when i add an image,
>> or google ad, in firefox it behaves as expected, but IE drops the div.
>> Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>> http://footstops.dev01.alkaloid.net/test.php
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

> Didn't I already solve this problem for you over at
> alt.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets

I hope you're not click farming. It's strange that you would change all
the code (even after I corrected it) and still come up with the same
problem.

--
Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)

bryanrite@gmail.com 05-08-2006 04:39 PM

Re: Overflow Hidden not hiding in IE

No, your code has the exact same behaviour as mine. Check out
http://footstops.dev01.alkaloid.net/test2.php thats your code, copy and
pasted. I am NOT click farming, i genuinly need to figure out why this
ad will not hide in IE. I changed all the code because, as I said
earlier, I was cleaning it up from the more complex page to this test
case.
I figure it has something to do with iframes and overflow:hidden (as
google ads generate iframes).

Thank for your, albeit cynical, help so far.

bryanrite@gmail.com 05-08-2006 04:49 PM

Re: Overflow Hidden not hiding in IE

i've even taken out the google ad, so as not to arouse suspicion. And
I still get the same behaviour.

ironcorona 05-08-2006 04:57 PM

bryanrite@gmail.com wrote:
> No, your code has the exact same behaviour as mine. Check out
> http://footstops.dev01.alkaloid.net/test2.php thats your code, copy and
> pasted. I am NOT click farming, i genuinly need to figure out why this
> ad will not hide in IE.

..bannerAd {visibility:hidden;} or
..bannerAd {display:none;} if you want to collapse the box

> Thank for your, albeit cynical, help so far.

ok, I apologise. I didn't understand what you wanted. I thought you
wanted to solve why the div on the left was dropping below the rest of
the content. You didn't mention that you were trying to get rid of the ad

--
Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)

ironcorona 05-08-2006 04:58 PM

ironcorona wrote:
> bryanrite@gmail.com wrote:
>> No, your code has the exact same behaviour as mine. Check out
>> http://footstops.dev01.alkaloid.net/test2.php thats your code, copy and
>> pasted. I am NOT click farming, i genuinly need to figure out why this
>> ad will not hide in IE.

> ..bannerAd {visibility:hidden;} or
> ..bannerAd {display:none;} if you want to collapse the box

only one .
I don't know how that happened twice

--
Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)

bryanrite@gmail.com 05-08-2006 05:02 PM

Re: Overflow Hidden not hiding in IE

haha, no you were right the first time, i can't figure out why its
dropping in ie. i've set up another one at
http://footstops.dev01.alkaloid.net/test3.php that is super simple and
should illustrate my problem. In ie, when you reduce the width of the
browser, the bannerad will drop as its not a variable width like the
other two. in FF it hides tho, IE it drops.

thank you so much for all your help Brian.