Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mozilla pieces versus Mozilla Suite (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t25943-mozilla-pieces-versus-mozilla-suite.html)

Doug Chadduck 12-02-2005 06:37 AM

Mozilla pieces versus Mozilla Suite

Finally broke down a couple weeks ago and downloaded Firefox and
Thunderbird. Newbie and pleased to be here. Guess the only reason I
waited so long is I had to do it on a machine that didn't go on the
internet very often. Mainly used for photos and music. But, movin' on up.

Now I see there is a Mozilla Suite I was not aware of. Is there anything
in the suite that would make it worthwhile redoing things and going that
route? Or is the whole only as good as the parts I've already got?
Sometimes when I read all the selling info and site info it just starts
to sound like bleh bleh bleh. So thought I'd see what thoughts might be
out here.

Mainly curiousity cause, so far, I haven't found anything I wanted to do
that I couldn't do. Thanks Doug

Moz Champion (Dan) 12-02-2005 07:53 AM

Re: Mozilla pieces versus Mozilla Suite

Doug Chadduck wrote:

> Finally broke down a couple weeks ago and downloaded Firefox and
> Thunderbird. Newbie and pleased to be here. Guess the only reason I
> waited so long is I had to do it on a machine that didn't go on the
> internet very often. Mainly used for photos and music. But, movin' on up.
>
> Now I see there is a Mozilla Suite I was not aware of. Is there anything
> in the suite that would make it worthwhile redoing things and going that
> route? Or is the whole only as good as the parts I've already got?
> Sometimes when I read all the selling info and site info it just starts
> to sound like bleh bleh bleh. So thought I'd see what thoughts might be
> out here.
>
> Mainly curiousity cause, so far, I haven't found anything I wanted to do
> that I couldn't do. Thanks Doug

Differences between the suite and Firefox/Thunderbird
http://ilias.ca/MozillavsFirefox.html

Its all about choice.
You can go with the suite (Mozilla) or choose Firefox and any other
email program, or go with Thunderbird, and your choice of browser. You
can mix and match to get exactly what you want.

Suite development has been stopped by Mozilla.org directly, but has been
taken up by a private group under the name of SeaMonkey, so further
updates will be forthcoming.

gwtc 12-02-2005 08:32 AM

Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> Doug Chadduck wrote:
>
>>Finally broke down a couple weeks ago and downloaded Firefox and
>>Thunderbird. Newbie and pleased to be here. Guess the only reason I
>>waited so long is I had to do it on a machine that didn't go on the
>>internet very often. Mainly used for photos and music. But, movin' on up.
>>
>>Now I see there is a Mozilla Suite I was not aware of. Is there anything
>>in the suite that would make it worthwhile redoing things and going that
>>route? Or is the whole only as good as the parts I've already got?
>>Sometimes when I read all the selling info and site info it just starts
>>to sound like bleh bleh bleh. So thought I'd see what thoughts might be
>>out here.
>>
>>Mainly curiousity cause, so far, I haven't found anything I wanted to do
>>that I couldn't do. Thanks Doug

> Differences between the suite and Firefox/Thunderbird
> http://ilias.ca/MozillavsFirefox.html
>
> Its all about choice.
> You can go with the suite (Mozilla) or choose Firefox and any other
> email program, or go with Thunderbird, and your choice of browser. You
> can mix and match to get exactly what you want.
>
> Suite development has been stopped by Mozilla.org directly, but has been
> taken up by a private group under the name of SeaMonkey, so further
> updates will be forthcoming.

I think that the biggest thing that Moz has over FF is the ability to
have more than one bookmark file, and you can switch between them
easily. I have several, three for my various business activities, one
for my investments, one for all my bookmarklets, one for my geneology,
one for misc stuff, and a few others.

Moz Champion (Dan) 12-02-2005 10:24 AM

gwtc wrote:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>
>> Doug Chadduck wrote:
>>
>>> Finally broke down a couple weeks ago and downloaded Firefox and
>>> Thunderbird. Newbie and pleased to be here. Guess the only reason I
>>> waited so long is I had to do it on a machine that didn't go on the
>>> internet very often. Mainly used for photos and music. But, movin' on
>>> up.
>>>
>>> Now I see there is a Mozilla Suite I was not aware of. Is there
>>> anything in the suite that would make it worthwhile redoing things
>>> and going that route? Or is the whole only as good as the parts I've
>>> already got? Sometimes when I read all the selling info and site info
>>> it just starts to sound like bleh bleh bleh. So thought I'd see what
>>> thoughts might be out here.
>>>
>>> Mainly curiousity cause, so far, I haven't found anything I wanted to
>>> do that I couldn't do. Thanks Doug

>> Differences between the suite and Firefox/Thunderbird
>> http://ilias.ca/MozillavsFirefox.html
>>
>> Its all about choice.
>> You can go with the suite (Mozilla) or choose Firefox and any other
>> email program, or go with Thunderbird, and your choice of browser. You
>> can mix and match to get exactly what you want.
>>
>> Suite development has been stopped by Mozilla.org directly, but has
>> been taken up by a private group under the name of SeaMonkey, so
>> further updates will be forthcoming.

> I think that the biggest thing that Moz has over FF is the ability to
> have more than one bookmark file, and you can switch between them
> easily. I have several, three for my various business activities, one
> for my investments, one for all my bookmarklets, one for my geneology,
> one for misc stuff, and a few others.

There are pros and cons for each product, as I said, its about choice
and whatever 'does the job' best for you and the way you operate.

Charani 12-02-2005 10:27 AM

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:37:38 -0800, Doug Chadduck wrote:

> Now I see there is a Mozilla Suite I was not aware of. Is there anything
> in the suite that would make it worthwhile redoing things and going that
> route? Or is the whole only as good as the parts I've already got?
> Sometimes when I read all the selling info and site info it just starts
> to sound like bleh bleh bleh. So thought I'd see what thoughts might be
> out here.

The only thing that Mozilla Suite has which isn't available (AFAIK) in
the component parts is Composer which is used for making web pages. I
can use that where I find others impossible to use.

Larry Hazel 12-02-2005 10:45 AM

Charani wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:37:38 -0800, Doug Chadduck wrote:
>

>>Now I see there is a Mozilla Suite I was not aware of. Is there anything
>>in the suite that would make it worthwhile redoing things and going that
>>route? Or is the whole only as good as the parts I've already got?
>>Sometimes when I read all the selling info and site info it just starts
>>to sound like bleh bleh bleh. So thought I'd see what thoughts might be
>>out here.

> The only thing that Mozilla Suite has which isn't available (AFAIK) in
> the component parts is Composer which is used for making web pages. I
> can use that where I find others impossible to use.

Also, you must bring up TB to check for email or leave TB running all
the time. I wish Firefox would periodically check for new email.

Arne 12-02-2005 10:57 AM

Once upon a time *Larry Hazel* wrote:

> Charani wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:37:38 -0800, Doug Chadduck wrote:
>>

>>>Now I see there is a Mozilla Suite I was not aware of. Is there anything
>>>in the suite that would make it worthwhile redoing things and going that
>>>route? Or is the whole only as good as the parts I've already got?
>>>Sometimes when I read all the selling info and site info it just starts
>>>to sound like bleh bleh bleh. So thought I'd see what thoughts might be
>>>out here.

>> The only thing that Mozilla Suite has which isn't available (AFAIK) in
>> the component parts is Composer which is used for making web pages. I
>> can use that where I find others impossible to use.

> Also, you must bring up TB to check for email or leave TB running all
> the time. I wish Firefox would periodically check for new email.

Firefox is only a browser, so how could it check for new mail? :)

That's just one of many reasons I prefer Mozilla Suite over Ff/Tb. When
the browser is open, the mail app is also running in the background (and
vice versa) and can check for new mail, and give an "alert icon" when
new mail arrives. But I can also open the the mail app separately if I
wish to do so. However, most of the time I have both open anyway. :)

--
/Arne

* How to quote: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html#toc2
* From Google: http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

gwtc 12-02-2005 03:47 PM

Larry Hazel wrote:

> Charani wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:37:38 -0800, Doug Chadduck wrote:
>>

>>>Now I see there is a Mozilla Suite I was not aware of. Is there anything
>>>in the suite that would make it worthwhile redoing things and going that
>>>route? Or is the whole only as good as the parts I've already got?
>>>Sometimes when I read all the selling info and site info it just starts
>>>to sound like bleh bleh bleh. So thought I'd see what thoughts might be
>>>out here.

>>The only thing that Mozilla Suite has which isn't available (AFAIK) in
>>the component parts is Composer which is used for making web pages. I
>>can use that where I find others impossible to use.

> Also, you must bring up TB to check for email or leave TB running all
> the time. I wish Firefox would periodically check for new email.

How can FF check for mail when its a browser only.

Larry Hazel 12-02-2005 03:54 PM

gwtc wrote:
> Larry Hazel wrote:
>
>> Charani wrote:

>>> The only thing that Mozilla Suite has which isn't available (AFAIK) in
>>> the component parts is Composer which is used for making web pages. I
>>> can use that where I find others impossible to use.

>> Also, you must bring up TB to check for email or leave TB running all
>> the time. I wish Firefox would periodically check for new email.

> How can FF check for mail when its a browser only.

It would take a bit of extra code, but shouldn't be too difficult.
Especially if TB is the mail client. It just needs to check if there is
any. It wouldn't need to process the mail in any way.

gwtc 12-02-2005 04:11 PM

Larry Hazel wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>
>>Larry Hazel wrote:

>>>Also, you must bring up TB to check for email or leave TB running all
>>>the time. I wish Firefox would periodically check for new email.

>>How can FF check for mail when its a browser only.

> It would take a bit of extra code, but shouldn't be too difficult.
> Especially if TB is the mail client. It just needs to check if there is
> any. It wouldn't need to process the mail in any way.

if thats all it takes, then why don't you develop an extension for it?