Velocity Reviews

-   -   Choice: DL'ing to laptop or to portable image storage device during vacation (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t258392-choice-dling-to-laptop-or-to-portable-image-storage-device-during-vacation.html)

Renee 06-19-2004 07:48 AM

Choice: DL'ing to laptop or to portable image storage device during vacation

I have two 256 CF cards and I don't want to purchase any more at this time.
I intend to take a lot pictures during my vacation and need a place to
off-load them from the cards. I don't mind dragging my laptop along because
it'll be kept relatively safe locked in the cruise cabin. But I'd rather not
bother with the extra weight (and headaches) if I don't have to.

I've been through Steve's Digicam site and looked at a few of the portable
image devices. One in particular has caught my eye. It's Addonics 16-in-1
MFR - Multi Function Recorder. It read all type of cards and burns them to
CDs. You can hook it up to a TV to play DVDs, VCDs, Audio CDs, MP3, JPEGs
and such. The feature I really like is that it is also a stand-alone MP3
player, so I could take the unit down to pool or beach and listen to my MP3
CDs. I have tons of MP3 so I thought this sounds like a great idea!

Other than the price, this all sounds too good to be true. Am I overlooking
any considerations? Has anyone else had any experience with Addonics MFR?

The other device I briefly considered was the Micro Solutions Roadstor.
However, the product description implies you play MP3 files through a TV,
and that the unit is not a true stand-alone MP3 player (one you could not
take down to the pool like the Addonics MFR). Since I'd really like to have
MP3s on a stand-alone storage device, I'm leaning toward Addonics. Does
anyone know if the Roadstor can work as a stand-alone MP3 player, or does it
need the TV?

Does anyone have any knowledge about or experience with either of these two
products they can share with me?

Both these unit burn files from flash cards to CDs. I like the idea that
they're also portable DVD players for playing movies. And I like being able
to listen to my MP3s. There are other unit out there that are hard drive
based and you can't play DVDs or CDs on them, so I took them out of
consideration.

Let's see ... Am I overlooking anything else? Hope you'll let me know if I
am.

Thanks in advance, all

Renee

adm 06-19-2004 09:34 AM

Re: Choice: DL'ing to laptop or to portable image storage device during vacation

"Renee" <rr@invalid.org> wrote in message
news:sdSAc.92417$w34.4222353@twister.tampabay.rr.c om...
> I have two 256 CF cards and I don't want to purchase any more at this

time.
> I intend to take a lot pictures during my vacation and need a place to
> off-load them from the cards. I don't mind dragging my laptop along

because
> it'll be kept relatively safe locked in the cruise cabin. But I'd rather

not
> bother with the extra weight (and headaches) if I don't have to.
>
> I've been through Steve's Digicam site and looked at a few of the portable
> image devices. One in particular has caught my eye. It's Addonics 16-in-1
> MFR - Multi Function Recorder. It read all type of cards and burns them to
> CDs. You can hook it up to a TV to play DVDs, VCDs, Audio CDs, MP3, JPEGs
> and such. The feature I really like is that it is also a stand-alone MP3
> player, so I could take the unit down to pool or beach and listen to my

MP3
> CDs. I have tons of MP3 so I thought this sounds like a great idea!

Well - although it seems to be frowned on in this group, what might just
suit you down to the ground is an Apple iPod.

Especially the 40G model !

You can buy a card reader for it (from Belkin I think) and then use it as
part photo storage and part mp3 player. Personally, I have about 30G of mp3s
on mine and then the balance is for photos. For me, 7 or 8G of space lets me
store around 1500 Nikon NEF RAW files which is plenty for my vacation needs.

This way, you get the best mp3 player on the market, plus photo storage. It
won't be the cheapest solution though.

Big Bill 06-19-2004 02:41 PM

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 07:48:40 GMT, "Renee" <rr@invalid.org> wrote:

>I have two 256 CF cards and I don't want to purchase any more at this time.
>I intend to take a lot pictures during my vacation and need a place to
>off-load them from the cards. I don't mind dragging my laptop along because
>it'll be kept relatively safe locked in the cruise cabin. But I'd rather not
>bother with the extra weight (and headaches) if I don't have to.

<SNIP>

I like the laptop route.
Yes, it can be a pain; when we took our last cruise, the laptop stayed
in the cabin, for sure. And, since we usually have a cabin in steerage
(inside cabin, so we don't have to row), the small desk is enough to
use the laptop to check the day's shots.
I once borrowed a small storage device based on a laptop drive, and I
really missed the ability to review the day's pics on a screen. I
don't think I'll do that again.
When we went to Yellowstone, we traveled with some friends, and the
ability to do a slideshow of the day's photos was a big hit.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Marten 06-19-2004 05:42 PM

"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 07:48:40 GMT, "Renee" <rr@invalid.org> wrote:
>
> >I have two 256 CF cards and I don't want to purchase any more at this

time.
> >I intend to take a lot pictures during my vacation and need a place to
> >off-load them from the cards. I don't mind dragging my laptop along

because
> >it'll be kept relatively safe locked in the cruise cabin. But I'd rather

not
> >bother with the extra weight (and headaches) if I don't have to.

> <SNIP>
>
> I like the laptop route.
> Yes, it can be a pain; when we took our last cruise, the laptop stayed
> in the cabin, for sure. And, since we usually have a cabin in steerage
> (inside cabin, so we don't have to row), the small desk is enough to
> use the laptop to check the day's shots.
> I once borrowed a small storage device based on a laptop drive, and I
> really missed the ability to review the day's pics on a screen. I
> don't think I'll do that again.
> When we went to Yellowstone, we traveled with some friends, and the
> ability to do a slideshow of the day's photos was a big hit.
>
> Bill Funk
> Change "g" to "a"

I agree a laptop is the way to go regardless of the extra weight. It is also
nice to be able to burn them onto a cdr or cdrw as a backup. You never know
when that becomes important.

Marten

leo 06-20-2004 02:28 AM

"Marten" <surreymicro@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I agree a laptop is the way to go regardless of the extra weight. It is

also
> nice to be able to burn them onto a cdr or cdrw as a backup. You never

know
> when that becomes important.
>
> Marten

If you had a Sony VAIO TR3 which my friend got one a few months ago, it's
too small and light to even bother to ponder, should I or should I not carry
it. It'd always be in your backpack. ;-)
[my 12" Powerbook is looking and feeling HEAVY and CLUMPY and no memory card
readers!]

Big Bill 06-20-2004 03:22 AM

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 02:28:33 GMT, "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

>"Marten" <surreymicro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> I agree a laptop is the way to go regardless of the extra weight. It is

>also
>> nice to be able to burn them onto a cdr or cdrw as a backup. You never

>know
>> when that becomes important.
>>
>> Marten

>If you had a Sony VAIO TR3 which my friend got one a few months ago, it's
>too small and light to even bother to ponder, should I or should I not carry
>it. It'd always be in your backpack. ;-)
>[my 12" Powerbook is looking and feeling HEAVY and CLUMPY and no memory card
>readers!]

PCMCIA (PC card) readers aren't very expensive, and make d'loading to
the laptop much faster than connecting the camera directly.
And, yes, as Marten said, being able to burn a CD-R is nice.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

DK 06-20-2004 08:11 AM

Re: Choice: DL'ing to laptop or to portable image storage device during vacation

i have come across "Image Tank" in ebay. seems promising but havent
tried it. basically it has interfaces to memory card and an attached
high capacity hard disk. certainly beats those microdrive imho