Velocity Reviews

-   -   Opinions on Ricoh Digital Cameras (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t258240-opinions-on-ricoh-digital-cameras.html)

Thomas 06-17-2004 08:15 AM

Opinions on Ricoh Digital Cameras

Hi All,

I am thinking of purchasing a 3.24MP Ricoh digital camera. I'm wondering
what the general opinion is on this brand? - The others I have to choose
from are Canon and Panasonic but they are both more expensive here in
Australia.

another@falseaddress.com 06-17-2004 11:40 AM

Re: Opinions on Ricoh Digital Cameras

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:15:30 +1000, "Thomas" <privateguy@telstra.com>
wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I am thinking of purchasing a 3.24MP Ricoh digital camera. I'm wondering
>what the general opinion is on this brand? - The others I have to choose
>from are Canon and Panasonic but they are both more expensive here in
>Australia.
>
>Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I had an old RDC5300 2.3 mps that I gave to a neighbour and continues
to serve him well.

It was built like a tank , took cracking sharp colourful pictures and
beat my later Canon Ixus by miles in many areas. It was just that the
Ixus ( Elph something in the States ) was so pocketable!
At the time it was produced it got rave reviews everywhere in the UK
although sales in the States were low.

Curently I'm using the brilliant FZ-10 from Panasonic but I'd have
every confidence that a Ricoh Camera would serve me well.

Jeremy 06-17-2004 03:41 PM

<another@falseaddress.com> wrote in message

> I had an old RDC5300 2.3 mps that I gave to a neighbour and continues
> to serve him well.
>
> It was built like a tank , took cracking sharp colourful pictures and
> beat my later Canon Ixus by miles in many areas. It was just that the
> Ixus ( Elph something in the States ) was so pocketable!
> At the time it was produced it got rave reviews everywhere in the UK
> although sales in the States were low.

I have its predecessor, the RDC-5000, and I still use it today. The camera
looks very similar to the Contax (T-3?) and takes photos that are
tack-sharp. Glass lens, multicoated, with aspherical elements. Comes with
a LENSHOOD! And it really does cut flare. Try to find a lenshood on
anything but a Leica.

My zoom length is 38-86 mm, but that range covers most of my needs. I have
film gear and 13 prime lenses for special situations.

Remote control is great as an electronic equivalent of a cable release. I
shoot a lot on tripod, and use Ofoto for prints, and they are fabulous for a
2.3 MP.

The text mode makes the camera function as a portable Xerox machine, and the
text can be read by OCR software. The "Keep Settings" function allows you
to customize your settings for exposure compensation, slow shutter mode,
etc. and the camera will always power up with YOUR personalized defaults.

Uses standard AA NiMH batteries, available anywhere. Has USB connector, and
also has serial connection.

Also has automatic lens cover (no lens cap to lose) and has optical
viewfinder that adjusts magnification to match your focal length.

No movie mode or sound mode, but I find that it serves my photo needs just
fine!