Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   washed out details (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t258154-washed-out-details.html)

Jimmy Smith 06-16-2004 12:54 AM

washed out details
 
What might cause a shot to have washed out details and what would be some
ways to address the problem?

Thanks Group

Jimmy



Marvin Margoshes 06-16-2004 03:47 PM

Re: washed out details
 

"Jimmy Smith" <nospam@pleaseno.more> wrote in message
news:IMMzc.4944$IF3.1794@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> What might cause a shot to have washed out details and what would be some
> ways to address the problem?
>
> Thanks Group
>
> Jimmy
>

Often, it is overexposure. If not too overexposed, you can adjust it with a
good image editing program.



Jeff Durham 06-16-2004 04:26 PM

Re: washed out details
 
It is usually due to overexposure. I assume you are using that new Canon
10D. I am just learning about my new Rebel. What mode were you in when you
took that picture? Did you look at the histogram of the image? I don't
know the details of the 10D, but I am assume they are similar and more than
the Rebel. If you were in an automatic point and shoot mode, you should
make sure the focusing is happening on the main subject which is where I
believe the auto-exposure setting will be derived.

Jeff


"Jimmy Smith" <nospam@pleaseno.more> wrote in message
news:IMMzc.4944$IF3.1794@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> What might cause a shot to have washed out details and what would be some
> ways to address the problem?
>
> Thanks Group
>
> Jimmy
>
>




Jimmy Smith 06-16-2004 09:53 PM

Re: washed out details
 

"Jeff Durham" <nospam@nospam.junkmail> wrote in message
news:sw_zc.106079$DG4.10391@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> It is usually due to overexposure. I assume you are using that new Canon
> 10D. I am just learning about my new Rebel. What mode were you in when

you
> took that picture? Did you look at the histogram of the image? I don't
> know the details of the 10D, but I am assume they are similar and more

than
> the Rebel. If you were in an automatic point and shoot mode, you should
> make sure the focusing is happening on the main subject which is where I
> believe the auto-exposure setting will be derived.


Hi Jeff,

I was shooting in full auto exposure. I am still using the 7 point focus.
I noticed numerous posters said they no longer use 7 point as "7 point."
Maybe I should change how the camera sees.

Jimmy

>
> Jeff
>
>
> "Jimmy Smith" <nospam@pleaseno.more> wrote in message
> news:IMMzc.4944$IF3.1794@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> > What might cause a shot to have washed out details and what would be

some
> > ways to address the problem?
> >
> > Thanks Group
> >
> > Jimmy
> >
> >

>
>




Jeff Durham 06-17-2004 02:45 AM

Re: washed out details
 
What I did with my Rebel in automatic mode was to make sure that my subject
was the one with the red dot lit. As I continue to hold the shutter button
down halfway, I then move my camera to "recompose" the image the way that I
want. This way (I think), the focus and exposure level are set based upon
my main subject.

Eventually, I will probably get in the habit of using the creative modes
where I have more control over the settings and just go to a single point
for focus. The seven point can have its advantages for a fast moving image
and continuous shooting.

Jeff


"Jimmy Smith" <nospam@pleaseno.more> wrote in message
news:Ug3Ac.44504$Kd5.3213@bignews4.bellsouth.net.. .
>
> "Jeff Durham" <nospam@nospam.junkmail> wrote in message
> news:sw_zc.106079$DG4.10391@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> > It is usually due to overexposure. I assume you are using that new

Canon
> > 10D. I am just learning about my new Rebel. What mode were you in when

> you
> > took that picture? Did you look at the histogram of the image? I don't
> > know the details of the 10D, but I am assume they are similar and more

> than
> > the Rebel. If you were in an automatic point and shoot mode, you should
> > make sure the focusing is happening on the main subject which is where I
> > believe the auto-exposure setting will be derived.

>
> Hi Jeff,
>
> I was shooting in full auto exposure. I am still using the 7 point focus.
> I noticed numerous posters said they no longer use 7 point as "7 point."
> Maybe I should change how the camera sees.
>
> Jimmy
>
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> >
> > "Jimmy Smith" <nospam@pleaseno.more> wrote in message
> > news:IMMzc.4944$IF3.1794@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> > > What might cause a shot to have washed out details and what would be

> some
> > > ways to address the problem?
> > >
> > > Thanks Group
> > >
> > > Jimmy
> > >
> > >

> >
> >

>
>




Fred T. Mahusay 06-23-2004 01:30 AM

Re: washed out details
 
I have found that the washed out details are due to improper aperature
setting when using the Green/Full Auto mode. The human eye and brain
compensate for high contrast between subject, foreground, and background.
Almost all digital cameras use "evaluative" light metering, even when you
choose spot.

1. Switch to the P or AV mode and rotate that dial to close the aperature.
Pay attention to the exposure meter in the viewfinder. It may indicate that
you are taking an underexposed picture--just remember that this is a
computer looking at all the light in general and not your subject matter.
2. Take the shot and review. Love that financially impact-free digital
photography.

There are multiple ways to achieve your shot with consideration of ISO (200
for stationary objects outdoors on bright days), aperature, and shutter
speed. Set up a vase, teddy bear, shoe, something in the backyard on a
table. grab your tripod, and shoot 20 pictures of it. Start at the smallest
setting for the aperature and then for each successive picture change the
f-stop 1 step larger until you've taken the entire range. Review it on
camera or download it to your computer and pay attention to the level of
detail and the aperature settings. There should be a range of them that
have clear detail. Keep that range in mind for the next time that you have
similar conditions.

Since you have a digital camera you should be taking pictures of EVERYTHING
to perfect your technique/art. Eventually you will find yourself always in
one of the creative control modes P, AV, TV, or M. M is the BEST mode.

And, like the other reply said, set the auto-focus point to your choosing.
I prefer to use the center point for focus, then recompose.


"Jimmy Smith" <nospam@pleaseno.more> wrote in message
news:IMMzc.4944$IF3.1794@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> What might cause a shot to have washed out details and what would be some
> ways to address the problem?
>
> Thanks Group
>
> Jimmy
>
>
>





All times are GMT. The time now is 10:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.