Velocity Reviews

-   -   Unexperienced photographer looking for camera with "growth" possibilities (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t258023-unexperienced-photographer-looking-for-camera-with-growth-possibilities.html)

Bram de Jong 06-13-2004 03:08 PM

Unexperienced photographer looking for camera with "growth" possibilities

Hi,

I'm a relatively unexperienced photographer (like most
non-professionals, I guess) and I'm looking at buying a GOOD camera
with GROWTH possibilities...

Right now I'm looking at the Olympus C-8080WZ, it seems a solid cam
with lot's of feature and a good lens, ...

Are there some camera's in the same range of price/features/quality I
should be looking at or would any prosumer camera really fit my needs?

kindest,

- bram

Kevin McMurtrie 06-13-2004 05:29 PM

Re: Unexperienced photographer looking for camera with "growth" possibilities

In article <753a69e6.0406130708.21b0c129@posting.google.com >,
the_etcher@hotmail.com (Bram de Jong) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a relatively unexperienced photographer (like most
> non-professionals, I guess) and I'm looking at buying a GOOD camera
> with GROWTH possibilities...
>
> Right now I'm looking at the Olympus C-8080WZ, it seems a solid cam
> with lot's of feature and a good lens, ...
>
> Are there some camera's in the same range of price/features/quality I
> should be looking at or would any prosumer camera really fit my needs?
>
> kindest,
>
> - bram

It depends on how serious you are about improving. A small
point'n'shoot is probably what you want if it will be at least a year
before taking serious photos. If sooner, spend more on a DSLR and add
lenses as needed.

Starting off with an inexpensive camera makes sense. It teaches you the
limitations of photography, saves you money, takes pictures as well as
you can, and the expensive camera you buy in a year or two will have
better technology than today's.

Lourens Smak 06-13-2004 06:57 PM

Re: Unexperienced photographer looking for camera with "growth" possibilities

In article <753a69e6.0406130708.21b0c129@posting.google.com >,
the_etcher@hotmail.com (Bram de Jong) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a relatively unexperienced photographer (like most
> non-professionals, I guess) and I'm looking at buying a GOOD camera
> with GROWTH possibilities...
>
> Right now I'm looking at the Olympus C-8080WZ, it seems a solid cam
> with lot's of feature and a good lens, ...

It seems to be an excellent camera but GROWTH could mean for example you
need another lens, so to me it sounds like you want a DSLR....

> Are there some camera's in the same range of price/features/quality I
> should be looking at or would any prosumer camera really fit my needs?

One which opens up the world of add-on flashes, macro lenses,
super-teles, filters, etc.

If you mean by GROWTH creative growth, get the Olympus 8080 if it
appeals to you. (which is important...) Henri Cartier Bresson shot most
of his millions of images with a 50mm, and only a few with a 35mm lens.
There are other photographers who created entire bodies of work with a
Rolleiflex with fixed 80mm lens. A certain limitation may actually do
your creativity good... If you have only 1 lens, you will think more
about the image than about what lens to use...
;-)
Lourens

Charles Schuler 06-13-2004 07:18 PM

"Bram de Jong" <the_etcher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:753a69e6.0406130708.21b0c129@posting.google.c om...
> Hi,
>
> I'm a relatively unexperienced photographer (like most
> non-professionals, I guess) and I'm looking at buying a GOOD camera
> with GROWTH possibilities...
>
> Right now I'm looking at the Olympus C-8080WZ, it seems a solid cam
> with lot's of feature and a good lens, ...
>
> Are there some camera's in the same range of price/features/quality I
> should be looking at or would any prosumer camera really fit my needs?
>
> kindest,

Since you typed "GROWTH" I'd advise you look at DSLRs.