Velocity Reviews

-   -   Freebie WPA Supplicant For Win 2000? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t25778-freebie-wpa-supplicant-for-win-2000-a.html)

Ryan Younger 11-26-2005 03:14 PM

Re: Freebie WPA Supplicant For Win 2000?

McAfee no longer offer the WPA supplicant for free. You can download a free
WPA supplicant at the following address:

http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
Networking Weblog

ryan_younger@hotmail.co.uk

Barb Bowman MVP-Windows 11-26-2005 03:17 PM

Re: Freebie WPA Supplicant For Win 2000?

they make it hard to find. scroll to the bottom of the page and click
the link to
http://www.wirelesssecuritycorp.com/...c/Downloads.do

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 09:49:45 -0800, "(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.Invalid>
wrote:

>Looking at http://www.wirelesssecuritycorp.com/...PAAssistant.do, I
>get the impression that McAfee has scooped the freebie and it's not available
>except bundled with their virus protection plan.
>
>Have I got it right?
>
>If not, where to get just WPAAssistant.do?
>
>If so, alternatives? Microsoft?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Ryan Younger 11-26-2005 04:41 PM

Re: Freebie WPA Supplicant For Win 2000?

That download is a trial version. McAfee no longer make available a free
version.

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
Networking Weblog

ryan_younger@hotmail.co.uk

Barb Bowman MVP-Windows 11-26-2005 05:05 PM

Re: Freebie WPA Supplicant For Win 2000?

I installed this on someone's W2K computer about a week ago.
When you install it, I believe there is a choice to use the $$$
version in trial mode or the free version.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Ryan Younger 11-26-2005 05:57 PM

Re: Freebie WPA Supplicant For Win 2000?

I installed this on my machine to try it out. The options you are given are
to start a free trial, connect to a network that is already protected by
McAfee Wireless Security or to cancel. I have placed a screendump of this
dialog here:

http://www.ryanyounger.plus.com/wire...sssecurity.jpg

Barb Bowman MVP-Windows 11-26-2005 06:57 PM

Re: Freebie WPA Supplicant For Win 2000?

what happens if you click cancel and do not show this again and
continue?

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 17:57:55 -0000, "Ryan Younger"

Ryan Younger 11-26-2005 07:26 PM

Re: Freebie WPA Supplicant For Win 2000?

The dialog dissapears and you it seems you can continue to use the program
as usual. However the link you gave is the same link that is on the main
page (i.e. not hard to find) and is titled 'Free 30 Day Trial':

http://www.wirelesssecuritycorp.com/...o?sequenceNo=2

I suppose the real question is what happens in 30 days time?

Barb Bowman MVP-Windows 11-26-2005 08:07 PM

Re: Freebie WPA Supplicant For Win 2000?

I believe it will still work. Just check the box that states don't
show this screen again when you first set it up and select the Cancel
button. Obviously, McAfee wants people to spend some $$$.

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:26:56 -0000, "Ryan Younger"

Ryan Younger 11-26-2005 10:46 PM

Re: Freebie WPA Supplicant For Win 2000?

Yes, if it is still operational after the 30 days, which is a definite
possibility, then it is certainly ambiguous information.