Velocity Reviews

-   -   maybe not a good question, but possibly a thought provoking one! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t257576-maybe-not-a-good-question-but-possibly-a-thought-provoking-one.html)

Jonathan Wilson 06-03-2004 11:37 PM

maybe not a good question, but possibly a thought provoking one!

We've all seen the works of the guy (whos name escapes me, my bad!) of
the cambels soup, and the grid of maralin monroe pics in different
colours.....

There was some recient work of his "found" basically the same theme
but he'd used a pen to draw some squiggles arround the results.

Would he have been noted as an artist in this modern age, especially
with his posterisation work concidering that the exact same result can
be had with just ">filter>posterize"

Or was there something else... after all a couple of clicks within a
graphics package can be done in the dark room... just sometimes takes
a little longer!

Cloneing, removing items, placing new items, bluring, dodging/burning
(can you sharpen in a dark room?) increasing apparent DOF, all these
can be done... so where does the art start, and the fiddler end?

--
Jonathan Wilson.
www.somethingerotic.com

bagal 06-03-2004 11:53 PM

Re: maybe not a good question, but possibly a thought provoking one!

in matters of relativity over absolutes the answer lies with the questing
questioner

ah - grass hopper

:-)

paleryder 06-03-2004 11:54 PM

Re: maybe not a good question, but possibly a thought provoking one!

"Jonathan Wilson" <Piercing_male@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We've all seen the works of the guy (whos name escapes me, my bad!) of
> the cambels soup, and the grid of maralin monroe pics in different
> colours.....
>
> There was some recient work of his "found" basically the same theme
> but he'd used a pen to draw some squiggles arround the results.
>
> Would he have been noted as an artist in this modern age, especially
> with his posterisation work concidering that the exact same result can
> be had with just ">filter>posterize"
>
> Or was there something else... after all a couple of clicks within a
> graphics package can be done in the dark room... just sometimes takes
> a little longer!
>
> Cloneing, removing items, placing new items, bluring, dodging/burning
> (can you sharpen in a dark room?) increasing apparent DOF, all these
> can be done... so where does the art start, and the fiddler end?

You are referring to Andy Warhol. He was more a graphic artist than
fine artist, even at the time. The point was the confluence of the ordinary
and psychedelia. And he did it without the aid of a computer.

Would his stuff be a hit today? Maybe. Some more than others.

His stuff had more to do with how he looked at the world, and marketing,
and his artistic response to the mass-media of the day.

Some of the capability of the graphics software packages is due to a desire
by graphic artists to get that "look".

Jonathan Wilson 06-04-2004 12:14 AM

Re: maybe not a good question, but possibly a thought provoking one!

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 00:53:53 +0100, "bagal" <spoofed@spooked.com>
wrote:

>in matters of relativity over absolutes the answer lies with the questing
>questioner
>
>ah - grass hopper
>
>:-)

LOL, that gave me a good laugh :-)

But i can see a potential serious side... its all subjective to the
perspective of the viewer ;-)

--
Jonathan Wilson.
www.somethingerotic.com

Jonathan Wilson 06-04-2004 12:34 AM

Re: maybe not a good question, but possibly a thought provoking one!

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 19:54:18 -0400, "paleryder" <larry86@cox.net>
wrote:

>"Jonathan Wilson" <Piercing_male@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:utcvb0lu0vn4cpoha1qqb5aubnphhrs3ms@4ax.com.. .
>> We've all seen the works of the guy (whos name escapes me, my bad!) of
>> the cambels soup, and the grid of maralin monroe pics in different
>> colours.....
>>
>> There was some recient work of his "found" basically the same theme
>> but he'd used a pen to draw some squiggles arround the results.
>>
>> Would he have been noted as an artist in this modern age, especially
>> with his posterisation work concidering that the exact same result can
>> be had with just ">filter>posterize"
>>
>> Or was there something else... after all a couple of clicks within a
>> graphics package can be done in the dark room... just sometimes takes
>> a little longer!
>>
>> Cloneing, removing items, placing new items, bluring, dodging/burning
>> (can you sharpen in a dark room?) increasing apparent DOF, all these
>> can be done... so where does the art start, and the fiddler end?

>You are referring to Andy Warhol. He was more a graphic artist than
>fine artist, even at the time. The point was the confluence of the ordinary
>and psychedelia. And he did it without the aid of a computer.

Thats the guy, I had a total brain fart and couldnt remember his
name... quite bad concidering his impact on a lot of things.

>Would his stuff be a hit today? Maybe. Some more than others.
>
>His stuff had more to do with how he looked at the world, and marketing,
>and his artistic response to the mass-media of the day.

So not what he did or how, but what he was trying to point out... yeah
I can go with that :-)

>Some of the capability of the graphics software packages is due to a desire
>by graphic artists to get that "look".

I'd never thought of that in that way... I guess that once you become
famous or renound then the method of the result is less important than
the content but I think that it would be hard for a moden day
[unknown] "artist" to use the same style or effects to have the same
impact.

I have to add that i'm not a great fan of modern art, especially a lot
that the tate ends up awarding, lol. But I do find interesting the
originality of the ideas... a bed, a sheep cut in half, a pile of poo,
a sculpture out of blood (actully that one I like, non-original
sculpture but original medium, if you discount water/ice)... not to my
mind "art" but definatly original in concept or medium :-)

I guess its why I like photography, its the content that has to be
worked (effects excluded) that the camera sees... angles, lighting,
subjects; my long term goal is a shot or shots that makes people go
"oh wow," or, "oh ****," especially with my continuing adventures into
the BDSM, fetish and erotica... not everyones cup of tea, but....

--
Jonathan Wilson.
www.somethingerotic.com

David Littlewood 06-04-2004 01:03 AM

Re: maybe not a good question, but possibly a thought provoking one!

In article <utcvb0lu0vn4cpoha1qqb5aubnphhrs3ms@4ax.com>, Jonathan Wilson
<Piercing_male@hotmail.com> writes
>We've all seen the works of the guy (whos name escapes me, my bad!) of
>the cambels soup, and the grid of maralin monroe pics in different
>colours.....

Warhol.

>There was some recient work of his "found" basically the same theme
>but he'd used a pen to draw some squiggles arround the results.
>
>Would he have been noted as an artist in this modern age, especially
>with his posterisation work concidering that the exact same result can
>be had with just ">filter>posterize"
>
>Or was there something else... after all a couple of clicks within a
>graphics package can be done in the dark room... just sometimes takes
>a little longer!
>
>Cloneing, removing items, placing new items, bluring, dodging/burning
>(can you sharpen in a dark room?)

Yes. The "unsharp mask" technique was developed in darkroom work. It is
of course a technique for improving edge acutance, not resolution, but
the result looks "sharper" unless you look too closely.

> increasing apparent DOF,

The technique of confocal microscopy is interesting in this connection.

> all these
>can be done... so where does the art start, and the fiddler end?

--
David Littlewood

Sabineellen 06-04-2004 01:31 AM

Re: maybe not a good question, but possibly a thought provoking one!

>I'd never thought of that in that way... I guess that once you become
>famous or renound then the method of the result is less important than
>the content

I still wonder to what effect his Rock (music) aura had on the popularization
of his art or artistic status.

After all, he was a "cool" person who lived in musically "cool" times. He
managed a band (velvet underground) and was no stranger to the rock scene. I
wonder had he not been a person famous for being "cool" what would've been
thought of his "art". Would he had still be so highly regarded had he just been
the regular person who works in an art studio and goes home to his regular
wife, and his artwork is judged on its merits alone?

It even seemed in those days that if you slept with more than one rockstar you
had a claim to fame.

Darrell Larose 06-04-2004 02:17 AM

Re: maybe not a good question, but possibly a thought provoking one!

The artist's name is Andy Warhol, he was a cultural icon of the 1960's-70's.
Art is in the eye of the beholder. I never felt all that inspired by his
work, but that too is art. Do a Google search and you'll find all sorts of
info on the man.

http://images.google.com/images?q=An...ff&sa=N&tab=wi

bagal 06-04-2004 03:52 PM

R. Makul 06-05-2004 08:23 AM

Re: maybe not a good question, but possibly a thought provoking one!

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 02:17:06 GMT, "Darrell Larose" <no@spam.com>
wrote:

>The artist's name is Andy Warhol, he was a cultural icon of the 1960's-70's.
>Art is in the eye of the beholder. I never felt all that inspired by his
>work, but that too is art. Do a Google search and you'll find all sorts of
>info on the man.
>
>http://images.google.com/images?q=An...ff&sa=N&tab=wi

His work was in part a social commentary on the times in which he
lived. I think a lot of the digital enhancements to pictures that
people try to achieve today is achieve a Warhol look and effect.

The man led a strange and interesting personal life. I have heard
that, later in life, his hair was a hair piece that attached to his
scalp via "snaps" or some other such mechanical connection device that
involved surgically embedding the scalp side mechanics into his skin.

I believe he also suffered a serious gun shot wound from one of his
underground movie actresses, "Ultra Violet".