Velocity Reviews

-   -   Happy Happy Joy Joy, I recovered my photos (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t256994-happy-happy-joy-joy-i-recovered-my-photos.html)

Tama Mativa 05-22-2004 12:42 PM

Happy Happy Joy Joy, I recovered my photos

Last week i formated my CF card accidently and was trying to recover the
photos

I bought a Card reader and used the program "Zero Assumption digital image
recovery" and got back all the photos

thanks to everyone for the suggestions

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm

Beck 05-22-2004 01:34 PM

Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy, I recovered my photos

"Tama Mativa" <A@A.com.au> wrote in message
news:40af47e2$0$31675$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
> Last week i formated my CF card accidently and was trying to recover the
> photos
>
> I bought a Card reader and used the program "Zero Assumption digital image
> recovery" and got back all the photos
>
> thanks to everyone for the suggestions
>
> http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm

After you accidentally formatted the card, did you take more photos to it,
then try and recover the photos?
Just curious as to how deep the program is able to recover programs, and
whether it can recover AFTER the card has been written to.

Ron Hunter 05-22-2004 03:29 PM

Tama Mativa wrote:

> Last week i formated my CF card accidently and was trying to recover the
> photos
>
> I bought a Card reader and used the program "Zero Assumption digital image
> recovery" and got back all the photos
>
> thanks to everyone for the suggestions
>
> http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm

Keep that program handy, it will probably happen again.....

Bill Funk 05-22-2004 05:43 PM

Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy, I recovered my photos

On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:34:55 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
<my_bulkmail@removebtopenworld.com> wrote:

>"Tama Mativa" <A@A.com.au> wrote in message
>news:40af47e2$0$31675$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com. au...
>> Last week i formated my CF card accidently and was trying to recover the
>> photos
>>
>> I bought a Card reader and used the program "Zero Assumption digital image
>> recovery" and got back all the photos
>>
>> thanks to everyone for the suggestions
>>
>> http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm

>After you accidentally formatted the card, did you take more photos to it,
>then try and recover the photos?
>Just curious as to how deep the program is able to recover programs, and
>whether it can recover AFTER the card has been written to.

I've used ZA on several cards...
It's like any other consumer file recovery utility in that it's not
going to recover overwritten files.
If the file is intact, there's a good chance ZA will recover it, even
after a format.

I haven't seen any consumer products that will recover overwritten
files. Has anyone?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Ian Stirling 05-22-2004 06:31 PM

Bill Funk <BigBill@there.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:34:55 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
> <my_bulkmail@removebtopenworld.com> wrote:
>

>>"Tama Mativa" <A@A.com.au> wrote in message
>>news:40af47e2$0$31675$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com .au...
>>> Last week i formated my CF card accidently and was trying to recover the
>>> photos
>>>
>>> I bought a Card reader and used the program "Zero Assumption digital image
>>> recovery" and got back all the photos
>>>
>>> thanks to everyone for the suggestions
>>>
>>> http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm

>>After you accidentally formatted the card, did you take more photos to it,
>>then try and recover the photos?
>>Just curious as to how deep the program is able to recover programs, and
>>whether it can recover AFTER the card has been written to.

> I've used ZA on several cards...
> It's like any other consumer file recovery utility in that it's not
> going to recover overwritten files.
> If the file is intact, there's a good chance ZA will recover it, even
> after a format.
>
> I haven't seen any consumer products that will recover overwritten
> files. Has anyone?

Well, I've used csplit/... unix tools to do it.
If the camera does not store as fragmented files (as most do not)
then by simply splitting a copy of the raw device into files every time
you see something that looks like the start of a jpeg works well.

Bill Funk 05-23-2004 02:06 PM

Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy, I recovered my photos

On Sat, 22 May 2004 18:31:40 GMT, Ian Stirling
<root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Bill Funk <BigBill@there.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:34:55 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
>> <my_bulkmail@removebtopenworld.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Tama Mativa" <A@A.com.au> wrote in message
>>>news:40af47e2$0$31675$afc38c87@news.optusnet.co m.au...

>>>After you accidentally formatted the card, did you take more photos to it,
>>>then try and recover the photos?
>>>Just curious as to how deep the program is able to recover programs, and
>>>whether it can recover AFTER the card has been written to.

>> I've used ZA on several cards...
>> It's like any other consumer file recovery utility in that it's not
>> going to recover overwritten files.
>> If the file is intact, there's a good chance ZA will recover it, even
>> after a format.
>>
>> I haven't seen any consumer products that will recover overwritten
>> files. Has anyone?

>Well, I've used csplit/... unix tools to do it.
>If the camera does not store as fragmented files (as most do not)
>then by simply splitting a copy of the raw device into files every time
>you see something that looks like the start of a jpeg works well.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this.
More precisely, what does "raw device" refer to?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Ian Stirling 05-23-2004 03:12 PM

Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy, I recovered my photos

Bill Funk <BigBill@there.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2004 18:31:40 GMT, Ian Stirling
> <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Bill Funk <BigBill@there.com> wrote:

>>> I've used ZA on several cards...
>>> It's like any other consumer file recovery utility in that it's not
>>> going to recover overwritten files.
>>> If the file is intact, there's a good chance ZA will recover it, even
>>> after a format.
>>>
>>> I haven't seen any consumer products that will recover overwritten
>>> files. Has anyone?

>>Well, I've used csplit/... unix tools to do it.
>>If the camera does not store as fragmented files (as most do not)
>>then by simply splitting a copy of the raw device into files every time
>>you see something that looks like the start of a jpeg works well.

> I'm sorry, but I don't understand this.
> More precisely, what does "raw device" refer to?

Sorry.
Most flash devices are arranged as a linear collection of 512 byte
sectors.
If you simply read all the sectors in sequence without taking account of
the filesystem, then you get a raw image of the device.
This isn't particularly useful in general, as you want to store more
than one file on the device, and know where it is.
So, this raw device is formatted in a certain way (FAT, ...) which
tells you where the files are.
However, even lacking this information, most devices if starting
from a freshly formatted filesystem (or turned off after deleting files)
will start to write files in continuous blocks, one after the other.

If you split the copy of the raw device at the points where the sequence
of bytes indicates a new file (for example GIF files begin with
GIF89a (or similar)) then you can recover most of the pictures.

If files are individulaly deleted, this causes problems, as then if
more are taken, the new file will go into the gap left, with
bits left over going somewhere else, so this new file cannot easily
now be recovered this way.

Bill Funk 05-23-2004 09:17 PM

Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy, I recovered my photos

On Sun, 23 May 2004 15:12:44 GMT, Ian Stirling
<root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Bill Funk <BigBill@there.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 May 2004 18:31:40 GMT, Ian Stirling
>> <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>>Well, I've used csplit/... unix tools to do it.
>>>If the camera does not store as fragmented files (as most do not)
>>>then by simply splitting a copy of the raw device into files every time
>>>you see something that looks like the start of a jpeg works well.

>> I'm sorry, but I don't understand this.
>> More precisely, what does "raw device" refer to?

>Sorry.
>Most flash devices are arranged as a linear collection of 512 byte
>sectors.
>If you simply read all the sectors in sequence without taking account of
>the filesystem, then you get a raw image of the device.
>This isn't particularly useful in general, as you want to store more
>than one file on the device, and know where it is.
>So, this raw device is formatted in a certain way (FAT, ...) which
>tells you where the files are.
>However, even lacking this information, most devices if starting
>from a freshly formatted filesystem (or turned off after deleting files)
>will start to write files in continuous blocks, one after the other.
>
>If you split the copy of the raw device at the points where the sequence
>of bytes indicates a new file (for example GIF files begin with
>GIF89a (or similar)) then you can recover most of the pictures.
>
>If files are individulaly deleted, this causes problems, as then if
>more are taken, the new file will go into the gap left, with
>bits left over going somewhere else, so this new file cannot easily
>now be recovered this way.

Ah, OK. Thanks.
But I was thinking of *overwritten* files.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Ian Stirling 05-24-2004 11:09 AM

Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy, I recovered my photos

Bill Funk <BigBill@there.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 May 2004 15:12:44 GMT, Ian Stirling
> <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Bill Funk <BigBill@there.com> wrote:

>>> I'm sorry, but I don't understand this.
>>> More precisely, what does "raw device" refer to?

>>Sorry.
>>Most flash devices are arranged as a linear collection of 512 byte
>>sectors.

<snip>
>>If files are individulaly deleted, this causes problems, as then if
>>more are taken, the new file will go into the gap left, with
>>bits left over going somewhere else, so this new file cannot easily
>>now be recovered this way.

> Ah, OK. Thanks.
> But I was thinking of *overwritten* files.

Sigh.
Sorry.
I really should read posts.
It may be in theory possible, but you'r looking at an investment of
at least several hundred thousand dollars.
You need to open the flash chip, and probe the read amplifiers for
each channel, so that you can read out the (more or less) raw output,
and then try to recover the original file from the residue left after
the chip erases the file.
You'r probably looking at tend of thousands to even say with any
degree of likelyhood if it's possible at all for any given card.

For cards that are just formatted, without wiping the data area, and
the file is not overwritten, it's a whole lot simpler.
(even if the file is fragmented, it can be recovered, but with more
difficulty)

Bill Funk 05-24-2004 04:58 PM

Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy, I recovered my photos

On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:09:33 GMT, Ian Stirling
<root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> Ah, OK. Thanks.
>> But I was thinking of *overwritten* files.

>Sigh.
>Sorry.
>I really should read posts.

Happens to all of us. :-)

>It may be in theory possible, but you'r looking at an investment of
>at least several hundred thousand dollars.

That's what I tell people who want to know how to wipe their hard
drives so that they can sell them without letting everyone know their
sebsitive data.
Just wipe it once; unless you have stuff the Feds want to know about,
no one else has the wherewithall to read it after it's been
overwritten. Certainly not that dweeb who buys your used drive.
(Aplologies to the dweebs who may be reading!)
>You need to open the flash chip, and probe the read amplifiers for
>each channel, so that you can read out the (more or less) raw output,
>and then try to recover the original file from the residue left after
>the chip erases the file.

It's not difficult to recover *erased* files (as WIndows erases
files); overwritten files are another thing entirely.
>You'r probably looking at tend of thousands to even say with any
>degree of likelyhood if it's possible at all for any given card.
>
>For cards that are just formatted, without wiping the data area, and
>the file is not overwritten, it's a whole lot simpler.
>(even if the file is fragmented, it can be recovered, but with more
>difficulty)

As far as I know, the only format that overwrites data is the format
done by floppy drives.
For hard drives (and, by extension, all removable drives), even a long
format doesn't overwrite files.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"