Velocity Reviews

-   -   Hong Kong or US (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t256321-hong-kong-or-us.html)

apkesh 05-07-2004 04:15 AM

Hong Kong or US

Hello,
I will be travelling to Hong Kong in a few weeks time and was wondering if I
should buy my Canon EOS 10D here in the US or just wait till I get to Hong
Kong. The price at Circuit City in US is US$1500.00, on some of the online
stores, it's about US$1350. Does anyone know what the price of this in HK?
I've heard from various people that Canons are lot less cheaper in HK, is
this true?
apkesh

Roger 05-07-2004 12:54 PM

Re: Hong Kong or US

On Fri, 07 May 2004 04:15:00 +0000, apkesh wrote:

> Hello,
> I will be travelling to Hong Kong in a few weeks time and was wondering if I
> should buy my Canon EOS 10D here in the US or just wait till I get to Hong
> Kong. The price at Circuit City in US is US$1500.00, on some of the online
> stores, it's about US$1350. Does anyone know what the price of this in HK?
> I've heard from various people that Canons are lot less cheaper in HK, is
> this true?
> apkesh

Apkesh,

I've been to Hong Kong twice in the last year and decided on what I saw to
not spend any more time fussing over whether to buy or not. For me the
answer is NO on cameras, YES on binoculars, YES on accessories that don't
depend so much on mechanics, electronics or warrenties (e.g. hoods,
filters). I shopped Hong Kong/Kalwoon "carefully" with lots of net advise
looking on the electronics packed streets as well as the recommended big
name "reliable" dealers. Avoid the big street electronics "malls" except
to window shop - unless you speak the language or have an experienced
person with you. I did. It was a rush getting in the fray, but some shop
owners really express their feelings when you break off negotiations.

The warrenties are really the big differences, even in the big name
places. On the street you have to be very cautious if the power supplies,
battery chargers and video standards meet the standard of the
region/country of usage. Any question you ask to a street side shop will
have the answer of yes. So if you can't read the box, you are pretty much
out of luck. Many vendors (except a few) will not let you open the box.
They almost always ask you for a credit card first. Many want cash. In any
case keep your money in your pocket. If you can't inspect the one you are
buying, walk out.

It's a buyer beware place. I don't need that aggrevation for cameras.
However, I did find the prices on high end optics (e.g. binoculars) very
competitive with US mail order prices and the warrenties are basically the
same.

BTW: if you read the fine print on the international warrenties - you may
find that you don't want that aggrevation either.

Regards,
Roger

Mark M 05-08-2004 04:21 AM

Re: Hong Kong or US

"apkesh" <apkesh007REMOVEMEPLEASE@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:83Emc.19503$urx.18441@news04.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com...
> Hello,
> I will be travelling to Hong Kong in a few weeks time and was wondering if

> should buy my Canon EOS 10D here in the US or just wait till I get to Hong
> Kong. The price at Circuit City in US is US$1500.00, on some of the

online
> stores, it's about US$1350. Does anyone know what the price of this in HK?
> I've heard from various people that Canons are lot less cheaper in HK, is
> this true?
> apkesh

Photo shops in Hong King make Abes of Maine look like B&H.

This is a VERY rough place where you are VERY likely to be brazenly
swindled.
With my experiences there, I would NOT recommend the purchase of
sophisticated camera gear there.

stan@temple.edu 05-08-2004 05:30 AM

Re: Hong Kong or US

apkesh <apkesh007REMOVEMEPLEASE@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
> I will be travelling to Hong Kong in a few weeks time and was wondering if I
> should buy my Canon EOS 10D here in the US or just wait till I get to Hong
> Kong. The price at Circuit City in US is US$1500.00, on some of the online
> stores, it's about US$1350. Does anyone know what the price of this in HK?
> I've heard from various people that Canons are lot less cheaper in HK, is
> this true?

The advantage to buying such a complicated camera at home is that
you'll get to study the camera's manual and shoot test photos before
you need to use it in Hong Kong, assuming you do need to use it there.

Tuckfook 05-08-2004 08:37 AM

Re: Hong Kong or US

I know HongKong very well, do you ?

Hongkong is NOT a small place and there are perhaps more than a thousand
camera shops with perhaps a hundred dealing in such high end cameras and
maybe no more than 20 who REALLY know about what they are selling.

Being a foreigner, the duty of the shop sales person is to make as much out
of you as possible. No two ways about it !

Yes, there are places that you will get a 10D cheaper than US, bear in mind
that the warranty will usually be regional, ie. Hongkong or Japan only.
You'll need a lot of bargaining skills to get a good price.

The good price will usually come in a package, spare battery, memory cards
etc. etc. every single bit of which you will be paying more for or buying
fakes/replacement brands etc. A locally made camera bag may be $15 but
you'll end up paying $50 or more...............so like I said it'll depend
on your skills.

Buy in Hongkong only if you know what you are doing.

Charlie Self 05-08-2004 10:27 AM

Re: Hong Kong or US

Tuckfook notes:

>The good price will usually come in a package, spare battery, memory cards
>etc. etc. every single bit of which you will be paying more for or buying
>fakes/replacement brands etc. A locally made camera bag may be $15 but
>you'll end up paying $50 or more...............so like I said it'll depend
>on your skills.
>
>Buy in Hongkong only if you know what you are doing.

But, in all honesty, the same can be said for too many U.S. camera dealers.

It's best to buy anywhere only if you know what you're doing. And, given the
minimal differences in prices these days, it probably doesn't pay to buy
outside your native country, possibly losing warranty consideration and having
possible problems if a return becomes necessary.

Charlie Self
"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." Will Rogers