Velocity Reviews

-   -   Safest Way to Share Files? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t25614-safest-way-to-share-files.html)

=?Utf-8?B?THVpcw==?= 11-19-2005 10:13 PM

Safest Way to Share Files?

I have a wireless network set up and wish to share files between my desktop
and laptop computers. My laptop is running Windows Firewall. Which of the
following is the safest way to share files on this computer?

1) Check "File and Printer Sharing" in the Exceptions tab of Windows Firewall
2) Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP (as opposed to the "Default" option) under the
Advanced TCP/IP Settings in Internet Protocol Properties?

I've had the network set up for many months and have had no problems with
file sharing until I recently installed a new printer. Is it possible that
the installation reset some of my Windows Firewall or Internet Protocol
Properties settings?

Thanks for any help.

GTS 11-20-2005 04:14 PM

Re: Safest Way to Share Files?

The two items you list are not alternative options for sharing files. "File
and Printer Sharing" must be permitted in the Windows Firewall for file
sharing. NetBIOS settings affect the ability to browse shares. You say
you have a problem now sharing files, but give no useful information. What
is the problem? Is it the same for both computers? Did you check the
Windows Firewall settings? It's unlikely the printer changes firewall or
network settings. Is it an Ethernet connected printer or connected to a
workstation?

=?Utf-8?B?THVpcw==?= 11-20-2005 04:39 PM

Re: Safest Way to Share Files?

The problem is that when I go to My Network Places on my desktop (the "host"
computer), the SharedDocs folder on my Laptop computer (the "client") does
not appear. The laptop is running Windows Firewall, as it always has, but
prior to the printer installation, I was always able to access the shared
folders on my laptop computer from my desktop. (As an aside, I have never
been able to access shared files on the desktop from my laptop without
disabling the desktop's firewall, which is McAfee Personal Firewall). I
could not tell you what the settings were on the laptop's Windows Firewall
prior to the printer install, that is why I'm asking which is the safest
course to share files. I essentially want to return to pre-printer install
settings if possible.

The printer is connected to the wireless router via Ethernet cable. What
was installed on the laptop is the software/drivers that allow the laptop to
connect to the networked computer.

Does that help?

GTS 11-21-2005 05:07 PM

Re: Safest Way to Share Files?

- Laptop and Windows Firewall - Open Windows Firewall from Control Panel.
On the Exceptions tab File and Printer Sharing should be checked.
- Desktop and McAfee PF - You should not need to disable this for sharing.
You need to enable sharing on the local network. I don't remember off the
top of my head the setting in McAfee for this. Check the program help - it
will certainly address this. There is either a specific item or a trusted
zone where you can set the IP address (or range) of workstations on your
network.

See these two links for help with troubleshooting sharing problems.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030206.shtml