Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sandisk or Lexar CF for Nikon D70 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t256066-sandisk-or-lexar-cf-for-nikon-d70.html)

Don F 04-30-2004 04:44 PM

Sandisk or Lexar CF for Nikon D70

I have read conflicting reviews and reports regarding which of these cards
is the better choice. I read that Lexar won a court case (several years ago)
against Sandisk for listing unsupported speed claims.
Sandisk claims 9 MB/sec write and 10 MB/sec read times for their write
accelerated type cards. I thought that write times were always longer than
read times because they require more steps. This is a new technology which
I don't understand but the specs make me uncomfortable. Will not the camera
firmware write/read speeds differ from each manufacturer.
Lexar says only that a speed increase of 25% is realized with their high
speed cards. Makes sense rather than an absolute speed declaration.
I am waiting for the D70 to be available at B&H. The 512 MB Sandisk Ultra
II CF cards (good price) are presently out-pf-stock so I am considering an
alternative.
Any input will be appreciated.
TIA
Don F

Lung Fish 04-30-2004 05:09 PM

Re: Sandisk or Lexar CF for Nikon D70

"Don F" <nobody@home.com> wrote in news:unvkc.5159$pJ1.3590@lakeread02:

> I am waiting for the D70 to be available at B&H. The 512 MB Sandisk
> Ultra
> II CF cards (good price) are presently out-pf-stock so I am
> considering an alternative.
> Any input will be appreciated.
> TIA
> Don F

I have a D70 and picked up a Lexar 2GB 40x card. I went to Lexar over
Sandisk because I have had some issues with Sandisk cards in the past and
my local store even stopped carrying them due to quality control issues.

I was also considering a 4GB Hitachi microdrive, but the potential for a
drive failure is just too high.

So, what I am really trying to contribute is that you should consider
quality as well as speed.

this old user 04-30-2004 06:37 PM

"Lung Fish" <lungfish@spamless.hotmail.com.com.com> wrote in message
> "Don F" <nobody@home.com> wrote in news:unvkc.5159$pJ1.3590@lakeread02:
>
> > I am waiting for the D70 to be available at B&H. The 512 MB Sandisk
> > Ultra
> > II CF cards (good price) are presently out-pf-stock so I am
> > considering an alternative.
> > Any input will be appreciated.
> > TIA
> > Don F

> I have a D70 and picked up a Lexar 2GB 40x card. I went to Lexar over
> Sandisk because I have had some issues with Sandisk cards in the past and
> my local store even stopped carrying them due to quality control issues.

Agreed. This group has been littered with sandisk complaints (and some
praises) over the last couple years so I never even considered using them.
Never had or heard of a problem with Lexar.

Jose Marques 05-04-2004 09:28 AM

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Don F wrote:

> I have read conflicting reviews and reports regarding which of these
> cards is the better choice. I read that Lexar won a court case (several
> years ago) against Sandisk for listing unsupported speed claims.

Have a look here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6816

For CF card speed tests performed with a D70. It's also worth looking at
the company survey page:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...?cid=6007-6013

To get an idea of how the manufacturer backs up their products.

I just got myself a D70 and bought two Lexar 512MB 40x WA cards (one of
the models that Nikon recommend in the manual). I was pleasantly
surprised to find that each card comes with recovery software and a USB
card reader. The reader is only USB1 (and only works with "USB enabled)
cards) but it proved useful when I needed to download some images onto a
friend's PC that didn't have firewire (my other CF reader is firewire).

I never even considered Sandisk due to a previous bad experience I had
with their SD products, their 256MB cards perform very badly in some
models of Palm PDA.

--
Jose Marques

Don F 05-04-2004 10:28 AM

"Jose Marques" <noway@nohow.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:20040504101323.U91668@mordor.maths.warwick.ac .uk...
> Have a look here:
> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6816
> For CF card speed tests performed with a D70. It's also worth looking at
> the company survey page:
> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...?cid=6007-6013
> To get an idea of how the manufacturer backs up their products.
> I just got myself a D70 and bought two Lexar 512MB 40x WA cards (one of
> the models that Nikon recommend in the manual). I was pleasantly
> surprised to find that each card comes with recovery software and a USB
> card reader. The reader is only USB1 (and only works with "USB enabled)
> cards) but it proved useful when I needed to download some images onto a
> friend's PC that didn't have firewire (my other CF reader is firewire).

> I never even considered Sandisk due to a previous bad experience I had
> with their SD products, their 256MB cards perform very badly in some
> models of Palm PDA.
>
> --
> Jose Marques

-------------------------------
Thanks, Jose, for the reply and the great links. Although the first link
shows that the Sandisk is ~2X faster than the Lexar the warranty claim
method (second link) for the Sandisk is a not very practical for most of us
who buy on-line. On-line retailers do not usually get involved with
warranty claims.
I wonder if the slower speeds with the Lexar is because of the USB enabled
function. (I don't know if the Sandisk is USB enabled.)
Don F

Richard Cockburn 05-04-2004 02:59 PM

Re: Sandisk or Lexar CF for Nikon D70

> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Don F wrote:
>
>> I have read conflicting reviews and reports regarding which of these
>> cards is the better choice. I read that Lexar won a court case (several
>> years ago) against Sandisk for listing unsupported speed claims.

I've had good results with both of those brands for my EOS 10D. BEWARE
about Viking cards, they tend to lose your photos without warning.

--
"Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

-Richard Cockburn

NightStar 05-13-2004 10:47 AM

Re: Sandisk or Lexar CF for Nikon D70

On 4 May 2004 14:59:07 GMT, Richard Cockburn
<cockburnREMOVE@webjetters.com> wrote:

>> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Don F wrote:
>>
>>> I have read conflicting reviews and reports regarding which of these
>>> cards is the better choice. I read that Lexar won a court case (several
>>> years ago) against Sandisk for listing unsupported speed claims.

>I've had good results with both of those brands for my EOS 10D. BEWARE
>about Viking cards, they tend to lose your photos without warning.

Has anyone had any experience with Integral I-Pro cards? I have a 1GB
40x card for my PDA which I'm contemplating about using when I get my
D70. I've never experienced any problems with the card in my PDA.

N*

ThomasH 05-13-2004 04:20 PM

Don F wrote:

> "Jose Marques" <noway@nohow.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:20040504101323.U91668@mordor.maths.warwick.ac .uk...
> > Have a look here:
> > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6816
> > For CF card speed tests performed with a D70. It's also worth looking at
> > the company survey page:
> > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...?cid=6007-6013
> > To get an idea of how the manufacturer backs up their products.
> > I just got myself a D70 and bought two Lexar 512MB 40x WA cards (one of
> > the models that Nikon recommend in the manual). I was pleasantly
> > surprised to find that each card comes with recovery software and a USB
> > card reader. The reader is only USB1 (and only works with "USB enabled)
> > cards) but it proved useful when I needed to download some images onto a
> > friend's PC that didn't have firewire (my other CF reader is firewire).

> > I never even considered Sandisk due to a previous bad experience I had
> > with their SD products, their 256MB cards perform very badly in some
> > models of Palm PDA.
> >
> > --
> > Jose Marques

> -------------------------------
> Thanks, Jose, for the reply and the great links. Although the first link
> shows that the Sandisk is ~2X faster than the Lexar the warranty claim
> method (second link) for the Sandisk is a not very practical for most of us
> who buy on-line. On-line retailers do not usually get involved with
> warranty claims.

Because Sandisk has released recently a new product series.
Lexar is expected to follow with their 80x cards by end of
the month. Seemingly Lexar cost more but also the quality
and reliability of these cards is superb (concluding from
the number of positive/negative voices in archives of
this group.) Since the card is supposed to hold for a while,
my pick is also Lexar over Sandisk!

Thomas

NightStar 05-15-2004 05:11 PM

On Thu, 13 May 2004 10:47:11 GMT, NightStar <Im.not@home.net> wrote:

>On 4 May 2004 14:59:07 GMT, Richard Cockburn
><cockburnREMOVE@webjetters.com> wrote:

>>I've had good results with both of those brands for my EOS 10D. BEWARE
>>about Viking cards, they tend to lose your photos without warning.

>Has anyone had any experience with Integral I-Pro cards? I have a 1GB
>40x card for my PDA which I'm contemplating about using when I get my
>D70. I've never experienced any problems with the card in my PDA.
>
> N*

I finally got an email back confirming that the I-Pro card works just
fine with the D70! :) (That's good, as it's the cheapest 1GB card I
was able to find at the 40x speed!).

Tony.

ThomasH 05-17-2004 03:01 PM

KOdak names Lexar an exclusive card provider. Re: Sandisk or Lexar CFfor Nikon D70

An additional news has been published today on the markets:
Kodak made its choice and decided uo use Lexar's flashcards
as their exclusive provider. This choice base on reliability
of Lexar's products.

Thomas