Velocity Reviews

-   -   can i use canon A-1 SLR camera lenses on a dSLR camera? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t255538-can-i-use-canon-a-1-slr-camera-lenses-on-a-dslr-camera.html)

Mario 04-19-2004 12:21 PM

can i use canon A-1 SLR camera lenses on a dSLR camera?

Hello,

IS it possible in any way to use lenses of a CANON A-1 camera on a
dSLR camera? any dSLR camera? how can I use them ? any disadvantages?

Thanks,

Mario

Lung Fish 04-19-2004 12:36 PM

Re: can i use canon A-1 SLR camera lenses on a dSLR camera?

mandm@flashnet.it (Mario) wrote in
news:9ae829af.0404190421.1cfce4bf@posting.google.c om:

> Hello,
>
> IS it possible in any way to use lenses of a CANON A-1 camera on a
> dSLR camera? any dSLR camera? how can I use them ? any disadvantages?

http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptnew.htm

The only adapter that I see lited here is to put FD mount lenes on an M-
mount camera. There is no dSLR with that mount, though the new
Epson/Cosina rangefinder is on the horizon if you want to pay $2500. See:
http://www.cameraquest.com/adpSLRRF.htm
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0403/04031101epsonrd1.asp

You may run across other adapters on eBay, but you never know how they will
work or how they may damage a new body.

There are plenty of disadvantages. You may only be able to focus at
infinity, you probably won't get metering, and there are some adapters with
glass elements that will degrade the quality of the lens.

Better to stay away and build a separate system.

Mark Hanson 04-19-2004 04:04 PM

"Mario" <mandm@flashnet.it> wrote in message
news:9ae829af.0404190421.1cfce4bf@posting.google.c om...
> Hello,
>
> IS it possible in any way to use lenses of a CANON A-1 camera on a
> dSLR camera? any dSLR camera? how can I use them ? any disadvantages?

There are FD-to-whatever mounts out there, but the general consensus seems
to be that, unless it would cost you thousands of $$$ to replace that lens,
don't bother. Here's a good article explaining all the problems:

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/

It refers to EOS cameras, but I can't see how it wouldn't also apply to any
AF mount.

Mark