Velocity Reviews

-   -   Archive software (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t255386-archive-software.html)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Martin_Djern=E6s?= 04-16-2004 02:51 AM

Archive software

Hi,

What software do you use for your archive?

I rather want a simple piece of software doing my archiving than one
which try to everything, but I really want that it:
- doesn't mess with the original location of the image
- doesn't edit the original picture in any way
- uses the file name as identifier (at least until the first dot)
- allow me to have multiple versions of the same image

It would be nice if it could manage how and when images are stored on cds.

Martin

Lourens Smak 04-16-2004 01:47 PM

Re: Archive software

In article <bTHfc.663$a41.46151@attbi_s53>,
Martin Djernaes <martin@djernaes.dk.del> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What software do you use for your archive?

Extensis portfolio

> I rather want a simple piece of software doing my archiving than one
> which try to everything, but I really want that it:
> - doesn't mess with the original location of the image

It catalogs what folders/drives/CD's you want cataloged; it doesn't move
anything.

> - doesn't edit the original picture in any way

of course not, although there is an option to "push" IPTC data into an
image.

> - uses the file name as identifier (at least until the first dot)

It can search & sort by all kinds of indetifiers, including the
filename. (filesize, date, added keywords, custom fields, etc)

> - allow me to have multiple versions of the same image

Of course. You'll have to let it show some more info beneath the image
though, often the tumbnails are practically the same. If you choose to
display filesize for example, it's easy to distinguish between hi-res
and low-res files of the same image. Portfolio is highly customizeable,
so this will be easy to realize.

> It would be nice if it could manage how and when images are stored on cds.

That's what I use it for, mainly. I can (visually) search and sort my
images, and quickly see on which CD a specific image is.

I especially like the way the "find" command acts like a filter, so if I
search for "amsterdam" it only shows images of amsterdam. (some programs
only jump to the first image of amsterdam, leaving all the rest
displayed...)

There are several other similar programs.
;-)
Lourens

PeterZiminski 04-16-2004 08:41 PM

Re: Archive software

check out a free demo of PhotoLibrary at
http://www.PhotoLibrarySoftware.com/

and the Open Directory which has a list of Image Management Software at
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/G...e_Cataloguing/

See this review too.

http://www.photosource.com/tools/software/
pete