Velocity Reviews

-   -   Hope not OT, flat bed scanner for 127 Ektachrome (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t254995-hope-not-ot-flat-bed-scanner-for-127-ektachrome.html)

clutch@lycos.com 04-09-2004 09:28 AM

Hope not OT, flat bed scanner for 127 Ektachrome

I hope I am not off topic on this question but I thought I would float
a question on converting film images to digital. My prime concern is
that the family has a number of 127 slides that I would love to
capture, preserve, and pass on copies to each limb on the family tree.

In the mix is some 35mm bw film strips, 35mm slides, 120/620 and even
some 4x5 negatives.

While googling around tonight I viewed hits on the epson 4870 and 4870
pro scanner that initially sounds like it might be the ticket.
However, I also read some comments that it really doesn't have the
resolution that is advertized, software is buggy, ect.

What a bummer. I thought I found a solution. A scanner with enough
resolution to scan my slides and some thing that would be usefull as a
normal scanner after this one time endeavor is complete. Firewire as
an interface a real plus considering data size.

Btw, is it usable as a normal flat bed scanner?

Also I don't understand what the PRO version gives in the bargain. I
don't have photoshop, I use Gimp for image stuff.

I thank you in advance for any info that will guide me to the right
purchase.

Wes
--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.

David J. Littleboy 04-09-2004 09:50 AM

Re: Hope not OT, flat bed scanner for 127 Ektachrome

<clutch@lycos.com> wrote:

> While googling around tonight I viewed hits on the epson 4870 and 4870
> pro scanner that initially sounds like it might be the ticket.
> However, I also read some comments that it really doesn't have the
> resolution that is advertized, software is buggy, ect.

It ain't perfect, but the alternative (Nikon 9000) is US$2,000.

> What a bummer. I thought I found a solution. A scanner with enough
> resolution to scan my slides and some thing that would be usefull as a
> normal scanner after this one time endeavor is complete. Firewire as
> an interface a real plus considering data size.
>

> Btw, is it usable as a normal flat bed scanner?

Yes. No problem. (I used an earlier version, the 2450.)

> Also I don't understand what the PRO version gives in the bargain. I
> don't have photoshop, I use Gimp for image stuff.

I think it includes Silverfast, a scanning program. The third party program
Vuescan is highly recommend and does similar things.

There's also comp.periphs.scanners where people who know a lot more than I
hang out.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Mark Johnson 04-09-2004 12:01 PM

clutch@lycos.com wrote:

>I hope I am not off topic on this question but I thought I would float
>a question on converting film images to digital. My prime concern is
>that the family has a number of 127 slides that I would love to
>capture, preserve, and pass on copies to each limb on the family tree.

Do you have a digicam you could use to shoot the slides and negatives?

clutch@lycos.com 04-09-2004 10:15 PM

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote:

><clutch@lycos.com> wrote:
>>
>> While googling around tonight I viewed hits on the epson 4870 and 4870
>> pro scanner that initially sounds like it might be the ticket.
>> However, I also read some comments that it really doesn't have the
>> resolution that is advertized, software is buggy, ect.

>It ain't perfect, but the alternative (Nikon 9000) is US$2,000.

Way out of my budget

>> What a bummer. I thought I found a solution. A scanner with enough
>> resolution to scan my slides and some thing that would be usefull as a
>> normal scanner after this one time endeavor is complete. Firewire as
>> an interface a real plus considering data size.

[snip]

>> Also I don't understand what the PRO version gives in the bargain. I
>> don't have photoshop, I use Gimp for image stuff.

>I think it includes Silverfast, a scanning program. The third party program
>Vuescan is highly recommend and does similar things.

Maybe the is the difference between the pro version and non-pro
version. I will look into reviews of vuescan vs Silverfast.

>There's also comp.periphs.scanners where people who know a lot more than I
>hang out.

I plan to hit that one next. Didn't want to cross post to both since
my question might get censored by someones newsproxy rules.

>David J. Littleboy
>Tokyo, Japan

Thank you
Wes

--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.

clutch@lycos.com 04-09-2004 10:26 PM

Mark Johnson <102334.12@compuserve.com> wrote:

>clutch@lycos.com wrote:
>
>>I hope I am not off topic on this question but I thought I would float
>>a question on converting film images to digital. My prime concern is
>>that the family has a number of 127 slides that I would love to
>>capture, preserve, and pass on copies to each limb on the family tree.

>Do you have a digicam you could use to shoot the slides and negatives?

That is a very intriguing question. I currently have only a lowly
Sony P-32 digicam. My real cameras are a Cannon F-1 and EF. I dearly
want to transition into the digital age with a good prosumer grade
digicam. I am looking at the Minolta A-2 and the eos 300d rebel. I
took a look at the Sony 828 but didn't like it based on it's form. I
guess I want a camera to look and feel like a good old film based slr.

So how do you shoot slides with a digicam? I'd love to put the
scanner money toward the purchase of a decent digicam. The flat bed
scanner can wait.

Thank you for your response,

Wes
--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.

Mark Johnson 04-11-2004 12:05 AM

clutch@lycos.com wrote:

>So how do you shoot slides with a digicam? I'd love to put the
>scanner money toward the purchase of a decent digicam. The flat bed
>scanner can wait.

That should produce top results, depending. You probably want a good
drum scanner. I was suggest something a little less expensive. A good
4-5MP digicam, a lightbox with a 'daylite' tube, a sheet of black
posterboard with a hole for the slide or negative, a 72mm
closeup/macro lens for the digicam, which 72mm fits right over the 2"
pipe connectors you can find at the local home center. Except for the
lightbox, the whole kit should set you back about 10 bucks. You can
get different couplings, adjustable threaded trap connectors, and
press in connectors, for a combination of length for what is
essentially a 'tube bellows', and nothing more. You can even get
super-8, that way. Amazing amount of detail to be found there - but
still not great.

I have a couple of examples under www.scenic-route.com/ , photos,
animals, and look at the two tiger photos. Both shot right off the
negative strip, reversed, boosted, and sharpened a bit. The closeup of
the elephant and cuddly koala are from slides. So are the only two
airshow photos, at present. I do have some great stuff of the old
Frecce Tricolori, if I ever get it posted. I also have a few lame
shots of an sr-71 (the thing is just solid black, basically), and the
last year the German demo team ran with the Starfighters (a jet engine
with wings, basically). Unfortunately, I must have had my attention
elsewhere, and got virually nothing from probably one of the best air
show sections I've ever seen. Just didn't photograph it, really.

And you can never go back again. True for most any photos you ever
want to take.