Velocity Reviews

-   -   Looking for software to combine 4 JPG images into one JPG image (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t254936-looking-for-software-to-combine-4-jpg-images-into-one-jpg-image.html)

G.M. Durrence 04-08-2004 02:32 PM

Looking for software to combine 4 JPG images into one JPG image

I have a few hundred pictures I took on a recent vacation. I want to
put them into an album. Instead of printing individual pictures and
putting them into a photo album I would like to put 4 pictures into
one JPG image to take to a commercial printer to print on one 8 X 10
or larger sheet so that I can bind several sheets into an album.

I can use Adobe Illustrator or other software to combine 4 pictures to
print on one sheet to print on my printer, but if I save the combined
pictures in JPG format the resolution is much less than the originals.

I would like to combine four 2 megapixel pictures into somethilng
close to one 8 megapixel picture.

Anyone know of a reasonably priced program that will do this?

G.M. Durrence
(To reply remove -nospam)

Roland Karlsson 04-08-2004 03:43 PM

Re: Looking for software to combine 4 JPG images into one JPG image

G.M. Durrence <durrence-nospam@comcast.net> wrote in

> I have a few hundred pictures I took on a recent vacation. I want to
> put them into an album. Instead of printing individual pictures and
> putting them into a photo album I would like to put 4 pictures into
> one JPG image to take to a commercial printer to print on one 8 X 10
> or larger sheet so that I can bind several sheets into an album.
>
> I can use Adobe Illustrator or other software to combine 4 pictures to
> print on one sheet to print on my printer, but if I save the combined
> pictures in JPG format the resolution is much less than the originals.
>
> I would like to combine four 2 megapixel pictures into somethilng
> close to one 8 megapixel picture.
>
> Anyone know of a reasonably priced program that will do this?
>
> G.M. Durrence
> (To reply remove -nospam)

You can do it with IrfanView - and it is for free.
www.irfanview.com
With IrfanView you also can do it in batch mode.

Or you can probably use Adobe Illustrator. I don't think
that you will lose any resolution. But I don't have
Illustrator - so ...

/Roland

Lucas Tam 04-08-2004 03:44 PM

Re: Looking for software to combine 4 JPG images into one JPG image

G.M. Durrence <durrence-nospam@comcast.net> wrote in

> I can use Adobe Illustrator or other software to combine 4 pictures to
> print on one sheet to print on my printer, but if I save the combined
> pictures in JPG format the resolution is much less than the originals.

This shouldn't be the case - must be something wrong with your DPI
settings.

Anyhow, try Qimage.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Paul J Gans 04-08-2004 06:43 PM

Re: Looking for software to combine 4 JPG images into one JPG image

G.M. Durrence <durrence-nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
>I have a few hundred pictures I took on a recent vacation. I want to
>put them into an album. Instead of printing individual pictures and
>putting them into a photo album I would like to put 4 pictures into
>one JPG image to take to a commercial printer to print on one 8 X 10
>or larger sheet so that I can bind several sheets into an album.

>I can use Adobe Illustrator or other software to combine 4 pictures to
>print on one sheet to print on my printer, but if I save the combined
>pictures in JPG format the resolution is much less than the originals.

>I would like to combine four 2 megapixel pictures into somethilng
>close to one 8 megapixel picture.

>Anyone know of a reasonably priced program that will do this?

>G.M. Durrence

Hmmm. What I'd do is first convert each picture to a lossless
format. Then I'd combine them. If you need to print from a
JPG, I'd save the result as a JPG as a last step.

If I was doing any manipulation of any of the shots, I'd do
it to the individual pics in lossless format.

---- Paul J. Gans

Frank ess 04-08-2004 08:04 PM

Paul J Gans wrote:
> G.M. Durrence <durrence-nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
>> I have a few hundred pictures I took on a recent vacation. I want to
>> put them into an album. Instead of printing individual pictures and
>> putting them into a photo album I would like to put 4 pictures into
>> one JPG image to take to a commercial printer to print on one 8 X 10
>> or larger sheet so that I can bind several sheets into an album.

>> I can use Adobe Illustrator or other software to combine 4 pictures
>> to print on one sheet to print on my printer, but if I save the
>> combined pictures in JPG format the resolution is much less than the
>> originals.

>> I would like to combine four 2 megapixel pictures into somethilng
>> close to one 8 megapixel picture.

>> Anyone know of a reasonably priced program that will do this?

>> G.M. Durrence

> Hmmm. What I'd do is first convert each picture to a lossless
> format. Then I'd combine them. If you need to print from a
> JPG, I'd save the result as a JPG as a last step.
>
> If I was doing any manipulation of any of the shots, I'd do
> it to the individual pics in lossless format.
>
> ---- Paul J. Gans

Seems to me that at four photos on one 8x10 page, even edge-to-edge for
the images, you don't need to worry much about resolution. The math
whizzes will be able to work it out for you, but there is a maximum
amount of definition you can get in a 3 1/2 x 5- inch image on photo
paper. Anything you throw at it beyond that is just wasted bandwidth.

Of course when *I* do it, I print from the largest and purest file my
setup will swallow. I mean, what's a few seconds processing, compared to
the knowledge I did the best I could with what I got?