Velocity Reviews

-   -   interactive mode ` ` in perl script (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t25492-interactive-mode-in-perl-script.html)

DGG 03-02-2005 05:22 PM

interactive mode ` ` in perl script

I have got a question arsing from my perl program.

Basically, I want to get the machine date and time, and display it on a
Tk label.

I am using ActivePerl, and running on DOS/Windows.
So I would use `date` to get the current date.

Though "date" has a silent mode. I am thinking in general, if assume
"date" only has an interactive mode. So after typing in "date", after
displaying the current date, the program also awaits an input (new date
setting or an ENTER) to complete.

As we are running inside a perl script, how can one imitate an
interactive input to feed into the program input?

Thanks guys

Jim Gibson 03-02-2005 08:30 PM

Re: interactive mode ` ` in perl script

In article <1109784145.702375.19940@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>, DGG
<tong.yin@nectech.co.uk> wrote:

> I have got a question arsing from my perl program.
>
> Basically, I want to get the machine date and time, and display it on a
> Tk label.
>
> I am using ActivePerl, and running on DOS/Windows.
> So I would use `date` to get the current date.
>
> Though "date" has a silent mode. I am thinking in general, if assume
> "date" only has an interactive mode. So after typing in "date", after
> displaying the current date, the program also awaits an input (new date
> setting or an ENTER) to complete.
>
> As we are running inside a perl script, how can one imitate an
> interactive input to feed into the program input?

There is no need to use an external command to get the date and time.
Use the Perl function localtime and perhaps one of the many
time-manipulation modules available from CPAN (like DateTime), or the
POSIX strftime function.

FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future,
and comp.lang.perl.tk for questions about Perl/TK.

Joe Smith 03-03-2005 09:07 PM

DGG wrote:

> I am using ActivePerl, and running on DOS/Windows.
> So I would use `date` to get the current date.

I take it that you haven't tried using localtime() in scalar mode.
$date_as_a_string = localtime;

You should learn the difference between
print localtime(),"\n";
and
print localtime()."\n";

DGG 03-04-2005 10:03 AM

Re: interactive mode ` ` in perl script

Thanks. I would never know this group is defunct now