Velocity Reviews

-   -   Copying Photos @ WalMart (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t254632-copying-photos-walmart.html)

Samuel 04-04-2004 12:50 AM

Copying Photos @ WalMart

How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at WalMart
like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the software detect a
watermark on image or is there a something on the back of the paper?
TIA
Samuel

Lisa Horton 04-04-2004 01:06 AM

Re: Copying Photos @ WalMart

Samuel wrote:

> How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at WalMart
> like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the software detect a
> watermark on image or is there a something on the back of the paper?
> TIA

Do you understand that by copying a photographer's photos without his
permission you are stealing from him?

You could always buy "copies" from the original photographer, yes?

Lisa

Joseph Meehan 04-04-2004 01:11 AM

Re: Copying Photos @ WalMart

Samuel wrote:
> How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at
> WalMart like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the
> software detect a watermark on image or is there a something on the
> back of the paper?
> TIA
> Samuel

Gee, let's see. You want to copy something that is copy protected.
Generally that is illegal and also thievery.

How did you obtain the original? Can't you have additional prints made?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Bob Hatch 04-04-2004 01:31 AM

Re: Copying Photos @ WalMart

"Samuel" <NoSpam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at
> WalMart like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the
> software detect a watermark on image or is there a something on the
> back of the paper?
> TIA
> Samuel

How do you shoplift while you are there?
--
"Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke

Samuel 04-04-2004 01:50 AM

Re: Copying Photos @ WalMart

"Bob Hatch" <bobhatch@go.com> wrote in message
> "Samuel" <NoSpam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at
> > WalMart like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the
> > software detect a watermark on image or is there a something on the
> > back of the paper?
> > TIA
> > Samuel

> How do you shoplift while you are there?
> --
> "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
> this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke
> http://www.bobhatch.com

No NO NO...I want to make MY photos so they will be like the ones that
cannot be coppied. I am sorry I did not make myself clear....

Bob Hatch 04-04-2004 01:56 AM

Re: Copying Photos @ WalMart

> No NO NO...I want to make MY photos so they will be like the ones
> that cannot be coppied. I am sorry I did not make myself clear....

Sorry, but your post looked like what we thought it was.

For a short period of time Kodak put out a paper that had yellow dots that
were supposed to be invisible to the consumer but would be seen by the
machine. It turned out that about 10% of the population could see the yellow
dots, so the concept didn't work. They discontinued the paper. I don't know
that there is any technology that will stop the machine at this point.
AFAIK, it is up to the staff at the counter to disable the machine if they
suspect that the customer is copying a professional photo.

Samuel 04-04-2004 02:26 AM

Re: Copying Photos @ WalMart

> "Samuel" <NoSpam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >>

> > No NO NO...I want to make MY photos so they will be like the ones
> > that cannot be coppied. I am sorry I did not make myself clear....

> Sorry, but your post looked like what we thought it was.
>
> For a short period of time Kodak put out a paper that had yellow dots that
> were supposed to be invisible to the consumer but would be seen by the
> machine. It turned out that about 10% of the population could see the

yellow
> dots, so the concept didn't work. They discontinued the paper. I don't

know
> that there is any technology that will stop the machine at this point.
> AFAIK, it is up to the staff at the counter to disable the machine if they
> suspect that the customer is copying a professional photo.
> --
> "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
> this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke
> http://www.bobhatch.com

Well, I was told at a small local photoshop that the Walmart machines(and
others) had some technology to I tried a test of a 8x10 class photo of a
friend and the machine did detect that the photo was protected. It then
asked for a password that would permit the copy to be made. I am wondering
what data it looks for as it needed a password from the store clerk to start
the machine in the first place. Some sort of code within the photo I am
guessing. Of coarse the photo can be copied on my scanner as any other
photo. I was unaware of this scheme and find it interesting and would enjoy
adding this to my own printed pics. Just how effective it would be is
curious as I wonder how many people don't have a computer and a scanner.

Thanks for the reply.

Sam

Bob Hatch 04-04-2004 02:33 AM

Re: Copying Photos @ WalMart

> Well, I was told at a small local photoshop that the Walmart
> machines(and others) had some technology to I tried a test of a 8x10
> class photo of a friend and the machine did detect that the photo was
> protected. It then asked for a password that would permit the copy to
> be made. I am wondering what data it looks for as it needed a
> password from the store clerk to start the machine in the first
> place. Some sort of code within the photo I am guessing. Of coarse
> the photo can be copied on my scanner as any other photo. I was
> unaware of this scheme and find it interesting and would enjoy adding
> this to my own printed pics. Just how effective it would be is
> curious as I wonder how many people don't have a computer and a
> scanner.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Sam

Like I said, I'm unaware of any current technology that does this, but I
will call the owner of the lab I use on Monday and find out more.

Samuel 04-04-2004 02:40 AM

Re: Copying Photos @ WalMart

> "Samuel" <NoSpam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >>

> > Well, I was told at a small local photoshop that the Walmart
> > machines(and others) had some technology to I tried a test of a 8x10
> > class photo of a friend and the machine did detect that the photo was
> > protected. It then asked for a password that would permit the copy to
> > be made. I am wondering what data it looks for as it needed a
> > password from the store clerk to start the machine in the first
> > place. Some sort of code within the photo I am guessing. Of coarse
> > the photo can be copied on my scanner as any other photo. I was
> > unaware of this scheme and find it interesting and would enjoy adding
> > this to my own printed pics. Just how effective it would be is
> > curious as I wonder how many people don't have a computer and a
> > scanner.
> >
> > Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > Sam

> Like I said, I'm unaware of any current technology that does this, but I
> will call the owner of the lab I use on Monday and find out more.
> --
> "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
> this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke
> http://www.bobhatch.com

Thanks Bob.

Sam

Lisa Horton 04-04-2004 04:49 AM

Re: Copying Photos @ WalMart

Samuel wrote:

> "Bob Hatch" <bobhatch@go.com> wrote in message
> > "Samuel" <NoSpam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > How do I print a photo that cannot be copied with the machines at
> > > WalMart like the Professional prints from photographer? Does the
> > > software detect a watermark on image or is there a something on the
> > > back of the paper?
> > > TIA
> > > Samuel

> > How do you shoplift while you are there?
> > --
> > "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
> > this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke
> > http://www.bobhatch.com
> >

> No NO NO...I want to make MY photos so they will be like the ones that
> cannot be coppied. I am sorry I did not make myself clear....

You might check into "digital watermarking", although I don't know if
this is what you're looking for, or will do what you want.

Lisa