Velocity Reviews

-   -   Embperl question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t25412-embperl-question.html)

dogdog@noemail.com 11-29-2004 11:13 PM

Embperl question

Setup my apache with mod_perl and with Embperl::HTML

I've written my embedded perl into my webpage using the
[- -] tags to enclose some socket connection perl. Using
IO::Socket::Inet and I've setup the
connection according to some online documentation. It all
works great from the command line.

Now that I've embedded that same code into a webpage with the
above mentioned tags I'm getting this error

"Cant call method send on an undefined variable"

The line is in reference to my send command where I send
a command to the remote server.
I put in a define like this so I'm not sure why it would
fail to send.

$defined_variable="command";
$socket->send($defined_variable);

Any reason why it fails with a socket connect?

Also, I would like to use embperl to make calls to a text box and
or "radio" type buttons.
Where as I would have the user type in a command and hit submit,
then it would process the command and send it to the server plus
provide back the setting in the text box. Could
I get some ideas on how to write this in the html. I have
the perl scripts that work from command line but I have no
clue on how to put it into html. Plus I havent been able to
find anything on google or in
a reference for this while using embperl.

TIA
dogdog

Joe Smith 11-30-2004 10:05 AM

Re: Embperl question

dogdog@noemail.com wrote:

> "Cant call method send on an undefined variable"
> Any reason why it fails with a socket connect?
> $defined_variable="command";
> $socket->send($defined_variable);

You're focusing on the wrong thing. Add this line between those two:
die "Socket creation failed" unless defined $socket;

Any further questions should be posted to comp.lang.perl.misc,
not this newsgroup (comp.lang.perl).
-Joe

dogdog@noemail.com 12-01-2004 12:53 AM

Re: Embperl question

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:05:45 +0000, Joe Smith wrote:

> dogdog@noemail.com wrote:
>
>> "Cant call method send on an undefined variable"
>> Any reason why it fails with a socket connect?
>> $defined_variable="command";
>> $socket->send($defined_variable);

> You're focusing on the wrong thing. Add this line between those two:
> die "Socket creation failed" unless defined $socket;
>
> Any further questions should be posted to comp.lang.perl.misc,
> not this newsgroup (comp.lang.perl).
> -Joe

joe,

thanks for the response, i'll subscribe to that newsgroup. I have
alot of questions related to perl and how I can better use it
with webpages.

thanks again
dogdog