Velocity Reviews

-   -   xTTL? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t253788-xttl.html)

fake name 02-27-2004 12:00 AM

xTTL?

Hi, TTL = Through The Lens (at least that's what I think it means anyway)

Now I see plenty of messages with iTTL, dTTL, E-TTL, A-TTL, etc. Is
there a good place to find what all these xTTLs stand for, a short
description, and so on? Also, are the major players (in random order:
Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Olympus, Kodak, etc) consistent with each
other regarding all these terms? could it be that Nikon's dTTL is the
same as Canon's iTTL for example???

Thanks!

Vin 02-27-2004 12:44 AM

Re: xTTL?

fake name <fake-address@no-server.no-network> wrote:
> Hi, TTL = Through The Lens (at least that's what I think it means anyway)

> other regarding all these terms? could it be that Nikon's dTTL is the
> same as Canon's iTTL for example???

I believe that dttl and ittl are for nikons, and attl and ettl are
for canons. I cant really help with a site here, but I think nikon
dttl is similar to canon ettl where the ttl meters on a preflash.
Canon attl is (i think) the same as standard ttl in the nikon where
they both meter OTF (Off the film, since digital sensors dont reflect
light well, it doesnt meter corretly). Anyone Correct me if I wrong
about this?

Vin.

--
Vin
Melbourne, Australia

Robertwgross 02-27-2004 01:09 AM

Re: xTTL?

Vin wrote:
>I believe that dttl and ittl are for nikons, and attl and ettl are
>for canons. I cant really help with a site here, but I think nikon
>dttl is similar to canon ettl where the ttl meters on a preflash.
>Canon attl is (i think) the same as standard ttl in the nikon where
>they both meter OTF (Off the film, since digital sensors dont reflect
>light well, it doesnt meter corretly). Anyone Correct me if I wrong
>about this?

That is about the same as my understanding. TTL and its variations were good in
the film world, and E-TTL or its variations are good in the digital world. With
a digital camera, they require a pre-flash with the main flash happening a tiny
fraction of a split second later. For that reason, the older TTL flashes are
not optimized for the newer digital cameras.

---Bob Gross---

fake name 02-27-2004 03:03 AM

Re: xTTL?

In article <20040226200920.29838.00000436@mb-m21.news.cs.com>,
robertwgross@cs.com (Robertwgross) wrote:

> Vin wrote:
> >I believe that dttl and ittl are for nikons, and attl and ettl are
> >for canons. I cant really help with a site here, but I think nikon
> >dttl is similar to canon ettl where the ttl meters on a preflash.
> >Canon attl is (i think) the same as standard ttl in the nikon where
> >they both meter OTF (Off the film, since digital sensors dont reflect
> >light well, it doesnt meter corretly). Anyone Correct me if I wrong
> >about this?

> That is about the same as my understanding. TTL and its variations were good
> in
> the film world, and E-TTL or its variations are good in the digital world.
> With
> a digital camera, they require a pre-flash with the main flash happening a
> tiny
> fraction of a split second later. For that reason, the older TTL flashes are
> not optimized for the newer digital cameras.
>
> ---Bob Gross---

Thanks to both of you, Vin and Bob!