Velocity Reviews

-   -   Resolution resolution (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t253756-resolution-resolution.html)

Simon 02-26-2004 02:20 PM

Resolution resolution

I have recently purchased a cheap (49.99 in the sale) 2MP camera
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...07365-6314824). I
am quite happy with the snaps I have taken - about 30 so far. However, I
have confused myself by borrowing a couple of "How to" books from the
library!

They all say 72 dpi resolution is fine for the screen and it looks OK. Here
is an example at the camera's lowest setting (800x600 and cropped in PSP)
for use on the web http://mands.v21hosting.co.uk/alfaromeo/images/156.jpg at
72 dpi (as reported by Paint Shop Pro). However, they go on to say, when you
print you should use 200 or 300 dpi at least - without saying how this
should be achieved. In Paint Sho Pro or Photoshop(?) I can change the dpi in
the image information, but does that actually give me more resolution? Is
that what I should do before I print an image? I am wary of getting
something for nothing.

Also I presume I should increase the dpi before I begin digitally retouching
the photo if I intend to print it?

Cheers!
Simon

Don Stauffer 02-26-2004 03:00 PM

Re: Resolution resolution

Don't worry about dpi/ppi until you are ready to print. Many photo
editors default to showing as much of image on screen as display will
provide, and you can always zoom in when working on details.

For printing, consensus of group awhile ago ranged from 200 to 300
pixels per inch. I personally lean towards lower value. You will
probably notice falloff in sharpness when printing with less than 200,
while going above 300 will typically not gain you anything.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
stauffer@usfamily.net

Marvin Margoshes 02-26-2004 06:18 PM

Re: Resolution resolution

"Simon" <simoncar@NotThisBittotalise.co.uk> wrote in message
news:403e009e$0$10338$ed9e5944@reading.news.pipex. net...

> I have recently purchased a cheap (49.99 in the sale) 2MP camera
> (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...07365-6314824).

> am quite happy with the snaps I have taken - about 30 so far. However, I
> have confused myself by borrowing a couple of "How to" books from the
> library!
>
> They all say 72 dpi resolution is fine for the screen and it looks OK.

Here
> is an example at the camera's lowest setting (800x600 and cropped in PSP)
> for use on the web http://mands.v21hosting.co.uk/alfaromeo/images/156.jpg

at
> 72 dpi (as reported by Paint Shop Pro). However, they go on to say, when

you
> print you should use 200 or 300 dpi at least - without saying how this
> should be achieved. In Paint Sho Pro or Photoshop(?) I can change the dpi

in
> the image information, but does that actually give me more resolution? Is
> that what I should do before I print an image? I am wary of getting
> something for nothing.
>
> Also I presume I should increase the dpi before I begin digitally

retouching
> the photo if I intend to print it?

You can gain something by increasing the number of pixels - up to about 2X -
with PSP or PS. The one procedure you should do before increasing the
number of pixels is cropping. Otherwise, just figure the print size in
inches by dividing the number of pixels in the width or height of the image
(whichever is smaller) by 200. Set up the print at that size. For some
subjects, such as general scenery, you can get quite acceptable prints at
150 ppi.

Bob Dunlop 02-26-2004 11:13 PM

Re: Resolution resolution

Check this out Simon

http://home.earthlink.net/~terryleedawson/index.htm

Should explain all you need to know about resolution.

Cheers,

Bob D

Simon 02-27-2004 01:53 PM

Re: Resolution resolution

Simon wrote:
> I have recently purchased a cheap (49.99 in the sale) 2MP camera
> (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...07365-6314824).
> I am quite happy with the snaps I have taken - about 30 so far.
> However, I have confused myself by borrowing a couple of "How to"
> books from the library!
>
> They all say 72 dpi resolution is fine for the screen and it looks
> OK. Here is an example at the camera's lowest setting (800x600 and
> cropped in PSP) for use on the web

Thanks chaps!