Velocity Reviews

-   -   D10 question - depth of field preview (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t253618-d10-question-depth-of-field-preview.html)

Bryce 02-23-2004 11:08 PM

D10 question - depth of field preview

What am I exactly looking for here? (in regards to the depth of field
preview button)

I push the button and the image in the viewfinder gets dimmer.

Sometimes the aperture doesn't dilate at all and the picture doesn't change
at all.

Bill Hilton 02-23-2004 11:12 PM

Re: D10 question - depth of field preview

>From: "Bryce" fukuzzz@takethisout.hotmail.com

>What am I exactly looking for here? (in regards to the depth of field
>preview button)
>
>I push the button and the image in the viewfinder gets dimmer.
>
>Sometimes the aperture doesn't dilate at all and the picture doesn't change
>at all.

When you push the button the lens stops down to whatever aperture you have set.
If you are using the widest aperture of the lens (ie, say f/2.8 for a f/2.8 -
f/22 lens) then the view won't change since it's set wide open by default for
focussing. If you stop down to f/4 you'll have half the light and it will be a
bit dimmer ... stop down all the way to f/22 and it will be a LOT dimmer.

Set it to Av mode and try it at widest aperture, f/8 and smallest aperture and
you'll see what I mean.

Bryce 02-23-2004 11:20 PM

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.comedy> wrote in message
> >From: "Bryce" fukuzzz@takethisout.hotmail.com

> >What am I exactly looking for here? (in regards to the depth of field
> >preview button)
> >
> >I push the button and the image in the viewfinder gets dimmer.
> >
> >Sometimes the aperture doesn't dilate at all and the picture doesn't

change
> >at all.

> When you push the button the lens stops down to whatever aperture you have

set.
> If you are using the widest aperture of the lens (ie, say f/2.8 for a

f/2.8 -
> f/22 lens) then the view won't change since it's set wide open by default

for
> focussing. If you stop down to f/4 you'll have half the light and it will

be a
> bit dimmer ... stop down all the way to f/22 and it will be a LOT dimmer.
>
> Set it to Av mode and try it at widest aperture, f/8 and smallest aperture

and
> you'll see what I mean.

So what I'm actually seeing when I stop it down through the eyepiece is
actually the exposure I'll be getting?

Bill Hilton 02-23-2004 11:26 PM

Re: D10 question - depth of field preview

>From: "Bryce" fukuzzz@takethisout.hotmail.com

>So what I'm actually seeing when I stop it down through the eyepiece is
>actually the exposure I'll be getting?

You're seeing the intensity of light which will strike the sensor (more or
less) ... the actual "exposure" is dependent on this amount of light plus the
duration of time the sensor is exposed to it (ie, the shutter speed). As you
stop down and the view finder gets darker you should see increased depth of
field, if you give your eyes time to adjust to the darker view.

JackD 02-23-2004 11:27 PM

"Bryce" <fukuzzz@takethisout.hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.comedy> wrote in message
> > >From: "Bryce" fukuzzz@takethisout.hotmail.com

> > >What am I exactly looking for here? (in regards to the depth of field
> > >preview button)
> > >
> > >I push the button and the image in the viewfinder gets dimmer.
> > >
> > >Sometimes the aperture doesn't dilate at all and the picture doesn't

> change
> > >at all.

> > When you push the button the lens stops down to whatever aperture you

have
> set.
> > If you are using the widest aperture of the lens (ie, say f/2.8 for a

> f/2.8 -
> > f/22 lens) then the view won't change since it's set wide open by

default
> for
> > focussing. If you stop down to f/4 you'll have half the light and it

will
> be a
> > bit dimmer ... stop down all the way to f/22 and it will be a LOT

dimmer.

> > Set it to Av mode and try it at widest aperture, f/8 and smallest

aperture
> and
> > you'll see what I mean.

> So what I'm actually seeing when I stop it down through the eyepiece is
> actually the exposure I'll be getting?

Yes, the depth of field you see is what you will get.

-Jack

Randall Ainsworth 02-24-2004 12:29 AM

Re: D10 question - depth of field preview

> What am I exactly looking for here? (in regards to the depth of field
> preview button)
>
> I push the button and the image in the viewfinder gets dimmer.
>
> Sometimes the aperture doesn't dilate at all and the picture doesn't change
> at all.

Do you have the box the camera came in? If so, put it back in the box,
take it back where you got it, and get your money back. You're in way
over your head.

Bryce 02-24-2004 12:49 AM

"Randall Ainsworth" <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote in message
> > What am I exactly looking for here? (in regards to the depth of field
> > preview button)
> >
> > I push the button and the image in the viewfinder gets dimmer.
> >
> > Sometimes the aperture doesn't dilate at all and the picture doesn't

change
> > at all.

> Do you have the box the camera came in? If so, put it back in the box,
> take it back where you got it, and get your money back. You're in way
> over your head.

No offense, but that has to be about the stupidest thing I've heard of in a
long time. On par with Sr. Bush's "No New Taxes."

=?iso-8859-1?Q?The_Dave=A9?= 02-24-2004 01:06 AM

Re: D10 question - depth of field preview

> Randall Ainsworth wrote:
> > What am I exactly looking for here? (in regards to the depth of
> > field preview button)
> >
> > I push the button and the image in the viewfinder gets dimmer.
> >
> > Sometimes the aperture doesn't dilate at all and the picture
> > doesn't change at all.

> Do you have the box the camera came in? If so, put it back in the
> box, take it back where you got it, and get your money back. You're
> in way over your head.

And God himself placed his hand on your forehead at the moment of birth
and annointed you with all the photographic knowledge you would ever
need or want? No? I didn't think so.

--
"Through pride we are ever deceiving ourselves. But deep down below the
surface of the average conscience a still, small voice says to us,

Andy Blanchard 02-24-2004 01:24 AM

Re: D10 question - depth of field preview

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:49:46 -0800, "Bryce"
<fukuzzz@takethisout.hotmail.com> wrote:

>No offense, but that has to be about the stupidest thing I've heard of in a
>long time. On par with Sr. Bush's "No New Taxes."

Damn right! The beauty of a DSLR is that you can experiment and find
out what works, what does not, and what gives an interesting creative
effect without the expense of blowing through a ton of film. Everyone
who uses an SLR, digital or film, had to learn about DOF, stops and so
on at some point, including Randall.

A simple technique to learn what effect everything has without having
to wade through the manual is plain old trial and error. Set
everything to automatic that you are not too clear on, then take one
setting at a time and shoot stuff across the range of values to find
out what effect is has on the image. Not only does this help you to
become familiar with the controls, but you'll find some of those
creative effects I mentioned above. A while back someone mentioned
that their teacher had once made them shoot all day with the "wrong"
lens (portraits with a longish lens IIRC) and many valuable lessons in
camera control were thus learnt, so you might want to try later on.

Andy

Mike Kohary 02-24-2004 01:57 AM

> >From: "Bryce" fukuzzz@takethisout.hotmail.com

> >So what I'm actually seeing when I stop it down through the eyepiece is
> >actually the exposure I'll be getting?

> You're seeing the intensity of light which will strike the sensor (more or
> less) ... the actual "exposure" is dependent on this amount of light plus

the
> duration of time the sensor is exposed to it (ie, the shutter speed). As

you
> stop down and the view finder gets darker you should see increased depth

of
> field, if you give your eyes time to adjust to the darker view.

I'm playing with this same feature on the Rebel, and having similar problems
understanding exactly what it's for. ;) I think Bill is telling us that we
can preview what the depth of field will look like, but not what the overall
exposure will look like. Since we can't preview on the LCD screen as with a
non-SLR camera, the only way is to take the shot and then look at it on the
LCD to see if you got it right.

It's not quite as easy as it was to get a good exposure on my Canon G3, but
then the advantages of the SLR far outweigh the extra practice I'll simply
need to put in to get better exposures. The way I see it, it'll just make
me a better photographer. ;)

Mike