Velocity Reviews

-   -   Firewire card for high speed flash card reading (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t252365-firewire-card-for-high-speed-flash-card-reading.html)

WHV1143 02-11-2004 03:53 AM

Firewire card for high speed flash card reading

I want to add a firewire card to my dell computer for high speed flash card
reading. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Bill

Randall Ainsworth 02-11-2004 04:45 AM

Re: Firewire card for high speed flash card reading

> I want to add a firewire card to my dell computer for high speed flash card
> reading. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've got the Sandisk Imagemate and it works great.

Paolo Pizzi 02-11-2004 06:18 AM

WHV1143 wrote:

> I want to add a firewire card to my dell computer for
> high speed flash card reading. Does anyone have any
> suggestions?

Huh? Why FW?
There's plenty of USB2.0 card readers available for $30
or so. If your computer doesn't have a USB2.0 port, a
USB2.0 card only costs about $15 or even less.
FYI, USB2.0 is actually faster than FW, albeit by a
smidgeon.

nospam 02-11-2004 06:38 AM

Re: Firewire card for high speed flash card reading

In article <VOjWb.22483$Cm7.17003@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com> , Paolo
Pizzi <paolopizziNOSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> WHV1143 wrote:
>
> > I want to add a firewire card to my dell computer for
> > high speed flash card reading. Does anyone have any
> > suggestions?

> Huh? Why FW?
> There's plenty of USB2.0 card readers available for $30
> or so. If your computer doesn't have a USB2.0 port, a
> USB2.0 card only costs about $15 or even less.
> FYI, USB2.0 is actually faster than FW, albeit by a
> smidgeon.

the raw data rate of usb2 is higher than standard firewire (480mbit vs
400mbit), however, the real world throughput is the reverse because usb
has much higher protocol overhead. and then there is firewire 800...

furthermore, firewire cards are also 15bux or so, and combo
usb/firewire cards are not much more. firewire readers are also
similarly priced.

Ron Hunter 02-11-2004 09:28 AM

WHV1143 wrote:

> I want to add a firewire card to my dell computer for high speed flash card
> reading. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks Bill

Yes, use USB 2.0. Firewire has the speed advantage as to actual 'real
world' performance, but at this time, no cards are fast enough to make
it a real advantage since USB 2.0 is easily faster than any flash card
you can buy.
If you intend to get into video editing, then the Firewire card would be
a good investment, but there seems to be a dearth of Firewire flash card
readers because of the previous information.

Eugene O'Brien 02-11-2004 01:40 PM

Re: Firewire card for high speed flash card reading

My suggestion would be to only get the firewire card if you have some other
reason for it as well, such as digital video transfer. For flash card
reading firewire is overkill. USB2 is definitely fine for the job, and the
readers are more common and should therefore be a bit cheaper. The speed of
the card will determine the speed of the transfer, not whether you're using
USB2 or firewire. Obviously stay away from USB1.x readers because that will
slow you down.

If you do still really want to get firewire then I think any of the common
brands should work just fine. I have an adaptec and I've never had any
problems with it. As with any computer peripheral it's best to avoid the
gerneric brand types.

Ray Fischer 02-15-2004 11:22 PM

WHV1143 <whv1143@aol.com> wrote:
>I want to add a firewire card to my dell computer for high speed flash card
>reading. Does anyone have any suggestions?

IOGear sells both FireWire and USB 2.0 cards. I've seen them sold
for around $10 each. PCI, of course.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer@sonic.net

rene maark 02-16-2004 12:33 AM

Re: Firewire card for high speed flash card reading

Hi,
I installed a Firewire Video PCI KIT DV411P without problem. This card has
tree outputs.
Have a look at: http://www.trust.com
HaND,
rene