Velocity Reviews

-   -   open file through web page and supply an incremented name.... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t25226-open-file-through-web-page-and-supply-an-incremented-name.html)

Todd 07-19-2004 06:18 PM

open file through web page and supply an incremented name....

I am looking for ideas on how I could create something to change a
file's name each time the link is selected, from a web page.

The format I am looking for is:

040700001

Where 04 is the year, 07 is the month and the last 4 are to be
incremented +1 each time the link is clicked.

Anyone know how I can do this in Perl?

Thanks

TB

Todd 07-20-2004 06:23 PM

Re: open file through web page and supply an incremented name....

toddbrown@charter.net (Todd) wrote in message news:<e277e755.0407191018.2475831a@posting.google. com>...
> I am looking for ideas on how I could create something to change a
> file's name each time the link is selected, from a web page.
>
> The format I am looking for is:
>
> 040700001
>
> Where 04 is the year, 07 is the month and the last 4 are to be
> incremented +1 each time the link is clicked.
>
> Anyone know how I can do this in Perl?
>
> Thanks
>
> TB

Ok, I got the a program to name a file in the syntax I state above.
However, I do not know how I can make this happen from a web page
selection? I need the program to open a template .xlt, do my rename
program, and allow the user to save the file locally.

I have no clue how I can make this thing work from a web page. Using
a form of somehow, but any help on the coding would be appreciated!

Joe Smith 07-22-2004 09:58 AM

Todd wrote:

> Ok, I got the a program to name a file in the syntax I state above.
> However, I do not know how I can make this happen from a web page
> selection? I need the program to open a template .xlt, do my rename
> program, and allow the user to save the file locally.

There is no need to rename the file on your server.
With the appropriate MIME headers, you can give the browser a
hint as to what name should be used when saving the file.

This is a MIME or HTTP or HTML question, not a perl problem.
-Joe