Velocity Reviews

-   -   Feedback Please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t252217-feedback-please.html)

SteveB 02-08-2004 11:18 AM

Feedback Please

My son gave me his old Sony Mavica MVC-FD83 Digital Camera. I always used a
35 Minolta X700, I guess my question is for basic photos how is the Picture
Image using the 3.5 computer dics??? Any feedback
welcomed
Thanks
SteveB...

fisho@iprimus.com.au 02-08-2004 11:37 AM

Re: Feedback Please

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 11:18:33 GMT, "SteveB" <shagme@comcast.net> wrote:

> My son gave me his old Sony Mavica MVC-FD83 Digital Camera. I always used a
> 35 Minolta X700, I guess my question is for basic photos how is the Picture
> Image using the 3.5 computer dics??? Any feedback

Old camera. It's been superseded several times now.

If you like the piccies it takes, it is a good camera for you, if not, buy a
better one.

CJEBS 02-08-2004 01:26 PM

Re: Feedback Please

We bought one of those several years ago and found the pictures were fine
for internet sharing with distant family, which was the main reason we
bought it. Printing out photos, however, we found that the best images were
uncropped 4x6's. Bigger, better, 'edit-able' photos became more important
to us, so we upgraded to a Canon A70. I would have liked to go higher end,
but money was a factor and after a lot of research I thought the A70 gave me
the best flash for my cash.

Ron Hunter 02-08-2004 04:05 PM

Re: Feedback Please

SteveB wrote:

> My son gave me his old Sony Mavica MVC-FD83 Digital Camera. I always used a
> 35 Minolta X700, I guess my question is for basic photos how is the Picture
> Image using the 3.5 computer dics??? Any feedback
> welcomed
> Thanks
> SteveB...

Try it and see for yourself, but I wouldn't find it satisfactory for my
purposes.

AArDvarK 02-08-2004 08:29 PM

Re: Feedback Please

The camera burns the images onto the disc, just like
a CD writer in a computer ... any computer's cd rom
drive will be able to read it and hence you can see them.

Or is it a floppy disc?

As far as printing the files, since the camera is older
it will make smaller sized file in dimensions, hence
they need to be enlarged in inch dimensions as well
as pixels-per-inch. This can easily be done in a free
program called Irfanview downloaded here:
http://www.irfanview.com/ You must also download
the 'plugin package' for the re-sizer to work. The re-
sizer, within Irfanview is called 'Lanczos' in the drop-
down menu, use this to first change PPI to 300 going
from 72 PPI, save the image, then re-size again with
Lanczos to the inch-dimensions you desire the print
to be at. Easy as pie. After re-sizing you will want to
possibly sharpen, enhance color, increase brightness
and/or contrast for a more striking print.

All kinds of people will buy a new camera because
of not being able to print at a desirable quality and
size, they never percieve to first learn something about
all possibilities concerning graphics and what they've
got ... My camera is an old Nikon 950 giving a max
2.1 megapixal image. With what I know I can make
a beautiful, small sized poster print, not just a 5x7.

On the other hand, for your X-700 (of which I used
to own one) you could buy a film scanner and use
slide film and practically do as good as you need to.
http://www.benq.com/imaging/scanner_2750i.html
--
Sincerely,
Alex

AArDvarK 02-08-2004 08:43 PM

Re: Feedback Please

SteveB,

Here I found the complete user guide to your camera:
http://chhsweb.sfsu.edu/aboutus/MVCFD88.pdf make
sure you save a copy. Despite the title it does include
the MVC-FD83. It says on page 34, the largest file
dimension file size it records is 1216 x 912 (in pixels)
jpeg file type. This is 1.1 megapixel, which is enough
info to produce an 8x10" print UPON up-sizing in
Irfanview, possibly larger to 11x14".